2023 OFFICIAL ELK MEAT POLE THREAD

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It has always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal. Over the last few years, I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and fill up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

As we walked up the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

My son and I walked directly for him. When we saw my dad, my son took off on a sprint to give him a hug. After some hooting and hollering, we let my son follow the blood trail and find the bull (it was only about 30 yards from the stand). The excitement was overwhelming. It still is. So many miles, trips, spots, and years finally paid off for my dad and my five year old got to be a part of the whole thing. After about 1,000 pictures and high fives, my dad and I got to work while my son held his little flashlight that we grabbed out of the junk drawer before we hopped in the truck.

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever."

Its not huge, but it means everything.

Attachments

• IMG_9884.jpg
    IMG_9884.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_9892.jpg
    IMG_9892.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_9920.jpg
    IMG_9920.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It is always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal for him. Over the last few years I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and filled up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

As we walked up to the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

My son and I walked directly for him. When we saw my dad, my son took off on a sprint to give him a hug. After some hooting and hollering, we let my son follow the blood trail and find the bull (it was only about 30 yards from the stand). The excitement was overwhelming. It still is. So many miles, trips, spots, and years finally paid off for my dad and my five year old got to be a part of the whole thing. After about 1,000 pictures and high fives, my dad and I got to work while my son held his little flashlight that we grabbed out of the junk drawer before we hopped in the truck.

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever".

What a great story, congrats to all three of you!

My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It is always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal for him. Over the last few years I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and filled up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

As we walked up to the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever".

Great story...congratulations on a hunting moment you all will remember!

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
2nd elk hunt. Day 7/8, heard this guy bulging like crazy way off the side of the mountain. Was getting to be crunch time so I bailed straight down off the side after him. Crested several knobs in the basin and finally got close. He was absolutely screaming up in the trees 60 yards away and I was screaming back. After about 4 challenge bugles back and forth I cut him off, and he marched right down into a clearing. Stopped him at 40 yards broadside, squeezed, and saw him fall <20 yards later! An experience I will never ever forget.

Attachments

• image_6483441-2.JPG
    image_6483441-2.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 410

ChrisAU

WKR
My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It has always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal. Over the last few years, I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and fill up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

Rokslide is my favorite website and I've read just about everything posted here. This is my favorite post. Thats awesome!

Agross

WKR

As we walked up the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

Doesn’t get better than that. Great photos and story!

sf jakey

WKR

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever."

I think your son is right. You, your dad, and your son, plus the background story. I don’t know how it could be better. A lifetime memory. Congratulations

Excellent story!! Super cool, and it sounds like your boy is a little character, and likes to hunt, that’s so awesome for so many ways

Glad pops got it done! Hard to beat the standard for the day, congrats to all of you guys

cclj03

FNG

Man, you’ve got me wanting to frame that picture of your dad squeezing your boy and put it my house haha.

I’ve got a 2.5 year old, and he’s just been asking to watch elk videos for the last month. When I brought home my bull this year he was mesmerized by the skull.

That’s a memory that will never fade for any of the three of you. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome story! Your son will never forget that experience!

NDGuy

WKR
Struck big last night in Montana
4a20a9bb4b333ee109f1a763f0cc81b6.jpg

35306cb3619e364a5a5e4544bdc21e0b.jpg

e0158188f5a2977c38b320c0ef9719b9.jpg

b6066277b5de15ddd33be19951b6fc2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beauty, breaks bull?

Jmoore

Lil-Rokslider

It does not get better! This is awesome, congrats.

UncleBone

WKR
After deciding I wasnt going to get an elk very close to the road in a heavily pressured low point draw unit, I glassed up some bulls sunday morning. Got my stuff together and headed 5 miles into the wilderness by myself on monday at about 10am. by 7pm I had this guy in the bag. Shot him at 80 yards with my muzzle loader, he ran 100 yds and dropped dead. My first elk, and he isnt huge, but I dont care. 5x6 with one broken off on the passenger side. he has a really cool curled brow tine as well. Couldn't be more stoked my 2nd year elk hunting and getting a bull down solo. Met an awesome guy who helped me with 2 loads on the packout. meat pole pic is after I carried out one load.

Attachments

• 20230913_144748.jpg
    20230913_144748.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 20230912_141511.jpg
    20230912_141511.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 20230911_192330.jpg
    20230911_192330.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 381

dcremin

FNG
I’m jealous guys. Our first kid is on the way and will be here in about six weeks. So I’m grounded this season. I truly wish you all the best of luck. Be safe!
Funny story, my wife was preggo last year with a due date of Jan 11. Our second child and they are 15 months apart. Baby was measuring ahead and expected to come early. Only minor complications with pregnancy with some high blood pressure from time to time. I somehow managed to still make it on a Late Rifle season CO elk hunt where we left WI on Dec 8th and got home on Dec 17th, 2022. Our son was born on Dec 26th by induction and definitely could have happened a couple days earlier. I was definitely sweating bullets the whole trip since we don't get cell service at the cabin we hunt out of - there are a couple fairly reliable spots we get just enough to send off some texts at, so I was definitely making sure I went to one of those spots each morning and evening to check in and make sure I didn't have to catch a flight home. I probably should have invested in a GPS messenger just for that trip but cell ended up working okay. My wife is a saint for still letting me go, but I think babysitting my father-in-law on one of his few remaining trips he'll be able to take probably played a big factor. You can bet I did every chore for weeks before and after the trip too to make sure I was on best behavior :).

For the hunting, we spent a week unable to locate any cows and only saw bulls, so the 3 of us ate our cow tags that year. Hoping for a different story this year.

PS - I think if it were our first kid (who also came 3 weeks early) I probably wouldn't have been going, but the point is, it may still be possible!

7mm-08

WKR

Best story I've read all year. Congratulations to all!