2023 NRL Hunter Match Schedule

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
2024 NRL22x schedule just released. I’ll be at both matches at the Arena in Blakely GA.

THIS is the way to get your feet wet and see if you like it. Skills is fine if you have a rifle that doesn’t meet power factor or weight, but if you do IMO you should pony up and compete. You’ll get to walk the prize table and get something of value back anyway.

View attachment 540400
Still no Texas…. Dang…

John

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
For those shooting the Mt Home match this week, prepare for interesting weather. It's snowed 3 times today in Mt Home. It could be 70, could snow, rain is a possibility and 30 mile per hour winds aren't uncommon. Should be a fun weekend.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Tomorrow at the Nightforce Snake River Outdoorsman match, there will be a Hornady rimfire experience side match. There are 5 stages and a bonus stage. The bonus stage will cost $20 to enter. You'll have an opportunity to engage a spinner. 1/2 the pot raised will go to support the Mountain Home AFB First Sergeants. The other half will be split evenly between those who successfully spin it. If no one does, it'll all go to the shirts to help out Airmen in need. This side match will start at noon and go until 1600. No sign-up required. There will be rifles and ammo if you don't have your own.
d637ef32133df3171d56f6033871666e.jpg

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any experience with the people running NRLH, Travis and Brittney?

I’ve shot 2 matches now, signed up for another, and will be doing a 4th. But I can’t get approved to post in the “Official” Facebook group. I’ve got posts pending, I’ve tagged them in other posts, I’ve sent the two of them a DM and an email. Going on over a month now and no response. Starting to feel really unprofessional, especially as I watch them send emails out and post/update FB.

They are amazing people and that’s uncharacteristic of them. I can honestly say they are some of my favorite people on earth and very genuine. I’ll reach out and see what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
If you missed the Mountain Home match, you missed a great one! The venue was fantastic. Lots of elevation, and I thought they had a good hang on it not being a target finding championship. Brian and Seth put on a great match.
d8fbc07e5e69a05deb27ab97b0698b32.jpg

ID_Matt

WKR
That was a great match. The wind sure is humbling sometimes!! I am sure it has been said on here, but everyone who is even considering one of these matches just needs to jump in. Everyone is so nice and just wants to have fun while getting better.1140F3F2-315E-4D24-B466-81B0D21CC6F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
This was my first real nrlhunter match and man what a match, had the pleasure of squadding with some great guys and got to learn a lot from chatting and watching the group shoot. It did not disappoint! I second what Matt said, if you’re on the fence just do it! You won’t regret it. Everyone is so helpful and the generosity amongst those in this community is second to none. Photo credit: @ID_Matt
CE4F934D-7599-4F5B-A0E3-548CE658202A.jpeg

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Next annoying question....

Anyone know if there is a way to volunteer or help at all with the leaderboard stuff? I look at the 2022 dashboards and there is a crap ton of great info, looks like a really nice tool. I can imagine the amount of work that would go into pulling the scores off Practiscore and getting it all uploaded correctly, but we're also over halfway through the season. Would be cool to see where I'm standing etc.

Lawnboi

WKR
Shot the Iowa match this last weekend. Great match, fun time, learned a lot and got to shoot with some good people. Was nice shooting a different format. Was interesting managing gear on the clock. I feel like I got a little more out of the match from a hunter perspective than a prs style match, though I also really enjoy those.

I shot it with a bdl 3006 and hit quite a few targets, no regrets and I’d do it again, with the same rifle if it’s all I had.

I’ll shoot another when they come around. I can see nrl hunter being a tough starter match but I would urge anyone to give one a try if they have one around them, regardless if you do or don’t have an ideal rifle.

Regrettably I didn’t take a single picture

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow at the Nightforce Snake River Outdoorsman match, there will be a Hornady rimfire experience side match. There are 5 stages and a bonus stage. The bonus stage will cost $20 to enter. You'll have an opportunity to engage a spinner. 1/2 the pot raised will go to support the Mountain Home AFB First Sergeants. The other half will be split evenly between those who successfully spin it. If no one does, it'll all go to the shirts to help out Airmen in need. This side match will start at noon and go until 1600. No sign-up required. There will be rifles and ammo if you don't have your own.
d637ef32133df3171d56f6033871666e.jpg

My good friend @wabowman won the 22 match!

Jimbee

WKR
There are a couple one day events in Iowa, 6/10 and 7/8. I'm planning on going to the one in June, maybe both. Thinking of using my tikka .223. Do I need a tripod?

There are a couple one day events in Iowa, 6/10 and 7/8. I'm planning on going to the one in June, maybe both. Thinking of using my tikka .223. Do I need a tripod?
At the match I shot in Laramie last year, a tripod made all the difference being able to shoot over bushes off a stable platform. It didn't really need to be anything special if you put some sort of decent shooting bag over the top.

Lawnboi

WKR
The Iowa 2 day I shot would have been rough without a tripod. I shot off natural objects if at all possible but there were a number of stages, specifically on a downward slope, that would have been very difficult without one.

I’d echo above that about any tripod with a cheap table and a bag on top acts as a fairly stable platform.

Tripod is nice to have for glassing and ranging as well.

At the ranges we shot, I’d have no issues bringing a 223 if allowed. That said if it’s a lot of big animal targets, your likely to not see them move much if at all at longer ranges.

parshal

WKR
Regarding tripod use. I had a tripod I used for PRS type matches but never really shot off one. My first Hunter match I had the tripod but didn't shoot off it much and used natural props or bipod. That worked OK in Laramie but there were targets that could be seen when glassing from the tripod but not when I dropped down to shoot prone.

After my second match I practiced shooting from my tripod and now prefer that over any other position, even prone. I will not go hunting without my tripod and keep the bipod on only as a kickstand. A tripod is absolute necessity for my hunting now and I'm a much more efficient hunter as a result.

JD Jones

WKR
Been on the fence this year but decided to go ahead and register for the Oklahoma match in July once registration opens up. This thread has a lot of good information and has helped push me off the fence! Should be a hot one in south Oklahoma in July!