2023 NRL Hunter Match Schedule

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
A little match recap for the Whitetail Madness match in Missouri. This was a phenomenal match laid out on 2 different farms. We had some weather roll through Friday which led to some high winds Saturday. Saturday was 10 stages on top of a ridge shooting down into the corn field below. Today was 6 stages on another farm, in timber and out along fields. The match was extremely well laid out, with all targets being animals. This is a match I'll 100% hit again next year.
6f3c4da15040ee3ec5e31c1e8964da19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
Agreed. It was very well run. It flowed well with few backups at stages. There were a few targets that took a bit of time to find but it was a real shooters match rather than target finding ability. There were couple high tripod stages and blinds tossed in as well.

parshal

WKR
On the ride home we calculated that we were holding for 16 MPH full crosswind values on many of the targets on Saturday. With the hills and trees it was difficult to get a wind hold on the targets out in the open when shooting from the trees. It just reinforces how challenging wind is when hunting. I'm not sure I'd have taken some of those shots on animals given tricky winds.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
On the ride home we calculated that we were holding for 16 MPH full crosswind values on many of the targets on Saturday. With the hills and trees it was difficult to get a wind hold on the targets out in the open when shooting from the trees. It just reinforces how challenging wind is when hunting. I'm not sure I'd have taken some of those shots on animals given tricky winds.
This is why I like shooting these matches. It's a great way to test yourself to realize your REAL capabilities in hunting situations.

It has made me a much better shooter.

BLJ

WKR
That makes no sense. Even cutting the buttstock to fit a small shooter shouldn't make a difference.

You can't swap the recoil pad, but you can shoot a Sig Cross, Bergara in a chassis, Christensen MPR, ETC...

Give me a break....

Exactly.
Hard to believe you can’t hack a stock to get a kid involved.

inkedspot

FNG
If all you want is the experience with it, skills is perfect for the kid. They can shoot with anything and get all the help they need for 1/2 price. If you want them to get points, have the do open light and Young Guns class.

parshal

WKR
There's a learning curve no matter how competitive someone is. Unless they've shot PRS or other matches where there's a lot of movement I'd recommend skills first.

ChrisAU

WKR
2024 NRL22x schedule just released. I’ll be at both matches at the Arena in Blakely GA.

THIS is the way to get your feet wet and see if you like it. Skills is fine if you have a rifle that doesn’t meet power factor or weight, but if you do IMO you should pony up and compete. You’ll get to walk the prize table and get something of value back anyway.

C2991B6D-69A2-4CAF-8834-D2F484544214.jpeg

MThuntr

WKR
Excuse my ignorance...Are these worth going to as a spectator? Like would it be worth traveling to one of these to watch?

I'm in no way set up to be a participant of these types of matches but it seems like something I'd be interested in maybe attending and maybe down the road participating.

BLJ

WKR
Excuse my ignorance...Are these worth going to as a spectator? Like would it be worth traveling to one of these to watch?

I'm in no way set up to be a participant of these types of matches but it seems like something I'd be interested in maybe attending and maybe down the road participating.

I can’t speak to the center fire matches, but I know at our 22 matches that there are multiple spares/loaner rifles there. All you have to do is show up.
We take a complete spare setup. Zeroed rifle, bipods, mags and ammo. All you would have to do is pull the trigger. I always offer it to people who just come to watch.
Maybe contact the match director to see if they have or know someone who would put you on a rifle.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider

NRL actually has full sets of loaner gear that are issued for use on a first come first serve basis. There are also 1 day Sig Hunter Games matches that you could attend that are great for getting your feet wet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I bought an arm board for the match. I have done a lot of data boards for prs type stages but never this style.

Curious how everyone else organizes their data.

I don’t have a smart rangefinder so I will need hard dope that’s quick.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I bought an arm board for the match. I have done a lot of data boards for prs type stages but never this style.

I do drops every 50 yards and usually 5 mph wind column.

Once I get out to about 700 yards I go to 25 yard increments.

I use a grease pencil and just put a check mark next to the yardage of the targets.

2024 NRL22x schedule just released. I’ll be at both matches at the Arena in Blakely GA.

THIS is the way to get your feet wet and see if you like it. Skills is fine if you have a rifle that doesn’t meet power factor or weight, but if you do IMO you should pony up and compete. You’ll get to walk the prize table and get something of value back anyway.

View attachment 540400
Eff yeah, minnesota at a time of the year when there are typically very few other commitments. Also when there is a fair chance of it being a slushy/muddy mess!

Funny how at least half of the “hunter” matches are during hunting season.

ChrisAU

WKR
Eff yeah, minnesota at a time of the year when there are typically very few other commitments. Also when there is a fair chance of it being a slushy/muddy mess!

Funny how at least half of the “hunter” matches are during hunting season.

Yeah I’m super excited for the 3 down here in GA. November one is during archery here but I’ll make an exception for a one day comp. Last year they formatted them like NRL Hunter matches but with 22’s. I just can’t get my kicks on known distance comps.

BLJ

WKR
Yeah I’m super excited for the 3 down here in GA. November one is during archery here but I’ll make an exception for a one day comp. Last year they formatted them like NRL Hunter matches but with 22’s. I just can’t get my kicks on known distance comps.

Hunter Style 22 matches would be perfect.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Like Justin said, go with every 50 yds out to 700 and then switch to 25. Depending on the match will depend on how much wind to have on there. For Vernal I ran a 3 and 5 MPH for every distance vs last year in Laramie I ran a 15, 20 and 25 mph. Another consideration is the changes in DA and wind direction. I have 4 dope cards with me. A 90 degree wind with the morning DA, 90 degree wind with afternoon DA, 270 degree wind with morning DA, and 270 wind with afternoon DA. If you have that set up correctly you will be good to go and have no need for the ballistics in your range finder.