2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

TX_Diver

WKR
I think it was Dudley that had mentioned instead of holding off you can put your pin on the target and cant your top limb into the wind so far depending on the wind havent been able to get accurate with this method myself but it is very interesting how much of a difference canting your bow even a little can make on your POI

interesting. He’s my go to source for info so I’ll have to try that a bit after the challenge and see what happens. Thanks!

68Plexi

WKR
Man it’s fun seeing how everyone is shooting in different conditions, targets and distance. To those guys shooting 60+ yards oh man, mucho kudos. I can barely see my block target that far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How will we know if we qualify will one of you let us know we are good or that we need to reshoot once you go over our shots?

The mods will publish a list in the lead post as they qualify people. As long as you got in under 200 eligible shooters, had a reasonable MER for your skill set, and shot all five arrows, you should be good.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I had that kind of group going but so far all I’m learning is how much practice I need before season! Crazy how many of the small things go by the wayside when your haven’t shot in a long time!

as.ks.ak

WKR
@randyulmer just updated his post. From what I can tell, if he left all three arrows in, he’d have like a 2 inch group at 60 yards.

@Tony Trietch has a great group going too

any other great groups going out there?

Mines not bad, I’m super curious what happens to it when I fix my pin gap. I’d only shot at 50 on three occasions before this challenge...major facepalm on the pin not being set properly. Would be a steller group.

I’m post 20.

Last edited:
I'd like to know who else has managed to bust an Exodus in a target? I mean am I special or what?

View attachment 170884

That's just how bad I f'ed up my shot today.
Either their is something in the top of the target or it went through some of the roofing that's in the air around here.
If that's a Glendale full rut ... I have PULVERIZED arrows on mine! Cut into it and found there is a metal band that runs around the insert cut-out to give the target some structure..

This is pretty fun Robby! We should do this again in the middle of the summer or so when everyone has been shooting for a while. It would be interesting to see how (hopefully) far people have progressed up until just before the major archery seasons start in the fall.

If that's a Glendale full rut ... I have PULVERIZED arrows on mine! Cut into it and found there is a metal band that runs around the insert cut-out to give the target some structure..

I figured that's what it is. That top piece is pretty small, needs something in it to help hold everything together.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is pretty fun Robby! We should do this again in the middle of the summer or so when everyone has been shooting for a while. It would be interesting to see how (hopefully) far people have progressed up until just before the major archery seasons start in the fall.

Hey. Once we draw for the prizes the thread openS back up and anyone can shoot. The prizes are gone but there’s still an op to challenge yourself.

I’m going to challenge myself to get to 60

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mines not bad, I’m super curious what happens to it when I fix my pin gap. I’d only shot at 50 on three occasions before this challenge...major facepalm on the pin not being set properly. Would be a steller group.

I’m post 20.

Great group!!!!! Good luck on arrow 5.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update. Even though we’re at 201 posts in the CBC, as Rokslide staff & family can’t win prizes, there are only about 190 eligible shooters in right now, so there are about 10
slots left. The mods will close the thread once we hit 200 eligible shooters. A few more slots may become available as we usually disqualify a few entries. @Travis Bertrand will keep an alternate list, so watch this thread for that op if don’t make the 200 list.

Man super glad I got in on this. Definitely prompted me to dust off the bow earlier then I would have.
I just have so many irons in the fire it hard to keep up.
Had the main string on my bow replaced at end of sept because I knicked a strand.
Held 4" high today baised on yesterday.
I think that string settled over winter and slowed me down.
Got lucky with an absolute 10 ring,🤐
Post 175

Ratbeetle

WKR
I wish I had that kind of group going but so far all I’m learning is how much practice I need before season! Crazy how many of the small things go by the wayside when your haven’t shot in a long time!

Truth.

Also, I will shoot one arrow and go pull it all the time, but I'll do that for 20 or 30 shots and I like to end a session on a good note. When you have to hang it up for the day after a bad shot, it really makes you pay attention to those misses that might otherwise slip by without much thought. A bad shot bothers me all day!

Last edited:
Ok so after my last shot I shot another arrow figuring the pressure was just getting to me, nope not the problem. Lost an insert and practice head in my bag target to the right again. Elevation is always good and grouping to the right is good but always to the right. Switched my grip so that I am gripping the bow figuring I would then miss left but not the case. Gonna shoot thru paper and see what's going on........

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Truth.

Also, I will shoot one arrow and go pull it all the time, but I'll do that for 20 or 30 shots and I like to end a session on a good note. When you have to hang it up for the day after a bad shot, it really makes you pay attention to those misses that might otherwise slip by without much thought. A bad shot bothers me all day!

It's nice being able to work through some of those bad shots. With this, you make a bad shot and all you can do is cringe until you walk up to your target and see the damage...

So far my grouping hasn't been terrible given I haven't shot for 6 months prior and I don't feel like I'm executing very good shots. That being said, I'd much rather be executing a good shot and know where the arrow is going before it gets there!

Just finished up my 5. First year doing it and was a welcomed distraction from the monotony of these quarantine days! Thanks again guys for putting this on. It would be cool to check in around end of July/early August and do it again, see how everyone has progressed.

Beendare

WKR
This is going to be a good exercise for me. With my compound its easy cold...NOT with my recurve!

I know my "Cold shots" aren't good...thus I shoot a couple shots at first light every day on a hunt to dial it in.

I'm off to a bad start- shooting right [LH Shooter] I can feel it..... I'm not getting a full expansion into my shot and I can feel my bow arm is weak.

Today I did a couple push ups before shooting on top of my normal stretches....better. I think I'm going to do more with a band to really warm up my shoulders before shooting tomorrow and see how that works out. If so I will pack it with me on a hunt- it doesn't weigh anything.

THIS IS A GREAT EXPERIMENT FOR A BOWHUNTER! Well done Rokslide crew!

MY LAST DAY EDIT:
Damn im glad i did this- and Im glad its over. ( gonna shoot carp tomorrow) As noted above I’ve been refining my pre shot warm up with a blue band and it has made all the difference for me.

I will still be a guy that flings arrows in the woods to stay sharp (i cant imagine NOT doing that) but this has helped me refine a bit of my shooting that needed it.
____

Last edited: