20 Gauge Turkey Gun Set Ups

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see what chokes/TSS have patterned best for everyone? This year I’m running a 301 Stevens 20G Indian Creek .555 with #8 TSS from Verdict Ammunition.

kloppy

FNG
Mossberg SA-20 Turkey with a Carlson .575 choke. Have been using Apex Turkey Ninja (8.5's) the last few seasons, although I bought some 9's to try out for this year. I'm not expecting a big difference but it will cure my boredom for now.

dtrkyman

WKR
Indian creek .555 and 1 5/8th OZ. handloads, have shot 7s, 9s and 9.5s. Also shot the stock choke which is around .580, probably the better hunting pattern, but the .555 is just incredible at longer range and not too much tighter up close.

The 7s were for a couple of states shot restriction, and the 9.5 were the only thing available when I bought shot. All work great but the 9s will be my go to.

Your 8s could possibly shoot better with a more open tube, but that IC .555 is incredible for tight patterns, keep in mind it will get beat up, the wad strippers work well and they are beat to hell in mine, I assume it will cause the pattern to change at some point?

Called Indian creek and they said it was normal, if I buy a new choke it will not have wad strippers next time!

The Carlsons .575 is popular for a good all around pattern.

Mossberg SA/20 thug version.

Wagner

FNG
I run a 870 compact with IC .555. Apex #9’s are deadly. It’s super tight, a red dot is a necessity with these tight chokes.
This will be my 4th season with this setup and love it.

Curious to see what chokes/TSS have patterned best for everyone?

Depends on what one believes is the best pattern? Some want to blow out the 10 ring at 40, where I'm just interested in a nice even pattern at 40 that peepers the whole paper.

I shoot the Weatherby SA-459, Carlson's .562 with cheaper factory Federal TSS 9 loads. Could probably get a tighter pattern at 40 with more expensive Apex or Foxtrot loads, but that would just make my 20 yard even tighter, so I just stay with what I got.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I run #9 Federal or Apex TSS out of a factory full choke in an 870. Nice patterns out to 50yds, but not super tight up close. I mainly hunt in timber, so 30yds is normal range.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Rem 870, Burris Fastfire III, heavyshot .573 tube, and Apex 8.5 shot. Pretty sure the tube is made by Carlson's. I've tried a couple others but this one has been the best. 4 birds this year between myself and others, nothing over 40 yards.

I use a franchi affinity 3 20ga turkey model. Sumtoy 562, sumtoy mount and ff3. Shoots apex #9tss very well.

My wife uses a tristar viper g2 20ga turkey model. Sumtoy 562. Holosun on the factory rail. It likes federal #9tss.

I'm set up to load my own tss now and will be shooting them from here on out.

Weldor

WKR
This is what I use, factory Turkey choke and 2-3/4" #5s

Attachments

• turkey gun.jpg
    turkey gun.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 45

Wheels

WKR
Factory full choke with 3" Federal Heavyweight Turkey Loads folded up 2 gobblers at 40+ yds this season.

hobbes

WKR
870 20 ga youth model with full length sureshot stock, Jellyhead choke. 1 5/8 oz handloaded #9s. I've yet to kill a bird with it but all my visiting buddies have used it along with my boys, so it's been hell on several gobbler noggins.

Screenshot_20230510-224929.png

IMG_20230407_184559014.jpg

IMG_20230310_195523625.jpg

Last edited:

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Franchi Affinity compact that was my son's shotgun until he outgrew it and moved up to a 12 gauge. I bought the full length stock and have only tried the factory full choke so far. I was amazed how well it shot the TSS 9's at 40 yards. Not sure I want anything tighter but may experiment with a choke tube before next season. Love the 20 gauge as it is so light.

satchamo

WKR
I use a Franchi Affinity compact that was my son's shotgun until he outgrew it and moved up to a 12 gauge. I bought the full length stock and have only tried the factory full choke so far. I was amazed how well it shot the TSS 9's at 40 yards. Not sure I want anything tighter but may experiment with a choke tube before next season. Love the 20 gauge as it is so light.

I just got a Franchi affinity compact myself. Where were you able to find the full size stock? Everywhere I’ve looked they’re out of stock.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Franchi affinity compact myself. Where were you able to find the full size stock? Everywhere I’ve looked they’re out of stock.
Satchamo, I ordered it directly from Franchi. It may take them a while to get more in but it is definitely worth the wait. It is an awesome little gun.

BCD

WKR
I bought a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge Turkey this year and have had a TON of problems. The gun is the biggest POS I have ever owned. When it actually fires it shoots a nice pattern with Apex #9 and a Carslon .575 but I would go a little tighter if I was going to keep it. I'm going to upgrade to a Mossberg SA 20 Tactical Turkey.