16" conpact bolt big game rifle

Name a short barreled light weight factory set up rife that’s supressor ready that’s better? That’s what the ops asking about.

I’ll wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He never posted a requirement for it to be “factory set up.”

A T3x lite stainless with a barrel chopped and a Stocky’s stock is a much better and magnitudes cheaper rifle than an FC.

Further, there are no factory new FC’s, as they’re not produced anymore.

Lastly, I’d take a new Element over a used FC. They’re still cheaper, with a better designed stock, integrated rail, and an unlimited $400 re-barrel fee for life.

I really liked my FC. It just wasn’t as good as a semi custom tikka.

OP, this is a factory tikka lite in 6.5 creed chopped to 16.25” in a 37.5 ounce eh1 with a 2.5 ounce suppressor mount on it.

I believe the stockys are coming in right at 24 ounces, quite a bit less. That also gives you extra buffer to add rear weight for balance if you need it with the can. Anyway, im getting 2620 with Sierra book max with a 130tmk on imr4350. Toss that in your calc and see if it’s what you’re looking for. I think the shorter creeds do a little better with the 130s than loping a 143 along at 2500.

Hope this helps 7D20E365-6C70-468F-889F-756B1F09230A.jpeg

which Tikka model or you recommend any of them?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Any of the t3 variants will work. I'd avoid the superlite model if you plan to cut and thread the factory barrel. The flutes don't leave enough material. If you're not going to cerakote then stainless might be a better option but the blued is cheaper and works fine. Just wipe either of them down if they get wet.

Btw, choose a reputable smith to cut and thread. There are plenty of them mentioned in the threads on rokslide. You may have to send it out and it'll be worth it.

OP, this is a factory tikka lite in 6.5 creed chopped to 16.25” in a 37.5 ounce eh1 with a 2.5 ounce suppressor mount on it.

I believe the stockys are coming in right at 24 ounces, quite a bit less. That also gives you extra buffer to add rear weight for balance if you need it with the can. Anyway, im getting 2620 with Sierra book max with a 130tmk on imr4350. Toss that in your calc and see if it’s what you’re looking for. I think the shorter creeds do a little better with the 130s than loping a 143 along at 2500.

Hope this helps View attachment 605209
OP— DR’s suggestions are spot on. The gun I posted earlier is the same as DR’s but with a Stocky’s VG hunter stock that weighs 24 oz after I painted it. The stock is the only change I’ve added to the factory gun. It’s about a half pound lighter than the factory stock. But it really makes the gun more shootable because it has a higher comb and makes the recoil travel straight back.

I’m also loading the 130 TMK to the Sierra book max but with H4350. I’m getting a few more FPS on average, but it’s close. That load is getting me to over 600 yards before I drop below 1800 fps, which is admittedly further than I prefer to shoot live animals. With factory 140 ELDM ammo, I’m in the 2450 FPS range at the muzzle with the short barrel, which is plenty of horsepower to kill at well beyond 300. Some will tell you you need a bigger cartridge, but the bullets you choose are really what determines the performance on game. Bigger cartridges just kick more and negatively impact your ability to shoot accurately and quickly.

Like others noted, I’d recommend sticking with 7” or longer cans and resisting the desire to cut weight there by going to shorter cans that mean more blast and recoil. I’m using an AB Raptor 8 stack with a reflex. The result with a 19 oz scope in sportsmatch rings weighs 7.8#, balances at the front of the action, and is just super easy to shoot and spot your own impacts through the scope.

If you prefer another action type, they all work. Tikkas just excel at reliability because the design is better than most at keeping debris out of the action and trigger. The design of the trigger and safety also excels because it includes a firing pin block that most bolt actions don’t and it is easily adjustable and super crisp. The detachable magazines feed super reliably and smoothly and are really hard to inadvertently drop in the field. There are lighter options, but my preference is reliability and safety. Not much beats a Tikka for that without spending a lot more money.

It's simply my opinion, and I don't have to quantify it. Have a great season with your Tikka.
Don't *have* to? Sure.

But Form took the time to list a lot of options that are objectively not better, and why.

'Better' usually refers to features, specifications, design elements, performance, and so on that are measurably different.

If you want those to be merely in the realm of opinion, okay, but it would be instructive to know which makes and models you regard as 'better', and why. That will help people assess what criteria you're using, how you formed these opinions, and based on what experience.

Look at efficiency of powder burn by barrel length and bore. 6.5 PRC really not that great with that short barrel. I would really look at the old 308 win or 338 Federal. Short barrels with tight bores dont burn efficiently.

Im looking for a livhtweight 16" bolt gun for up to elk size game out to 300yards.

Dont want to break the bank either, Have been getting recommendations on the 6.5prc

Also plan on running suppressed so threads are important. Already have a 20" 6.5CM AND 24" 300WM

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 with 77 TMK’s.

I’m at 2564 across a MagnetoSpeed which puts me at 1804 at 400 yards per StrelokPro.

IMO. 😁

Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 with 77 TMK’s.

I’m at 2564 across a MagnetoSpeed which puts me at 1804 at 400 yards per StrelokPro.

IMO.

Not legal in many states for elk, for good reason.

Not legal in many states for elk, for good reason.

I’ll admit I wasn’t aware of where the OP will be hunting.
I was just suggesting a rifle that met his criteria in the original post.

For those that love the Fieldcraft in the short barrel configuration, the new Wilson Combat NULAs look like a pretty good alternative... although they are new enough that there is no extensive field testing and I don't want to do the testing for that price.

https://wilsoncombat.com/long-guns/nula-bolt-action-rifles.html

nula20_catalog_01_01.jpg

I'm all ears if you're willing to share. I've never been able to get a qualified smith to try 1/2x28 or larger. Is that 7/16, a 22" bbl or an SBR?

1/2x28 on that one IIRC, and cut to 20”. I only use two smiths, neither one has an issue cutting and threading them.

Don't *have* to? Sure.

But Form took the time to list a lot of options that are objectively not better, and why.

'Better' usually refers to features, specifications, design elements, performance, and so on that are measurably different.

If you want those to be merely in the realm of opinion, okay, but it would be instructive to know which makes and models you regard as 'better', and why. That will help people assess what criteria you're using, how you formed these opinions, and based on what experience.
This thread is not about what rifles I like better than a Tikka. I apologized to the OP already for inadvertently derailing his thread. I would however like to thank all of the Tikka fanboys for proving my initial post. I hope that you all have a great season with your beloved rifles.

This thread is not about what rifles I like better than a Tikka. I apologized to the OP already for inadvertently derailing his thread. I would however like to thank all of the Tikka fanboys for proving my initial post. I hope that you all have a great season with your beloved rifles.
You continue to post, just without answering anyone’s questions. Certainly you see the irony of apologizing nine times vs responding once and being done with it?

From your first second post...to this one, you've been snarky and obtuse. You literally referenced "facts" but then offer none. You recommended a specific rifle, but offer no support for the recommendation. That's probably why you've been challenged to back up your post.

On the flip side, you call folks who appreciate actual facts fan boys, which is a dick move, while Formidilosus puts down in writing line after line of actual features to support his recommendations.

The sad part is the Ruger Hawkeye is a decent rifle, but you offer no support.

Might as well have said "I like turtles." ;)

Last edited:
Let's try this:

This thread is about people helping the OP choose an appropriate rifle.

You have said that a Ruger Hawkeye is better than a Tikka.

If you're not wanting to objectively state why, but that this is your opinion, can you name three criteria by which a Ruger is better than a Tikka, in your opinion, and why? Genuine question.

I have a new acronym - FUQ. Form’s Unanswered Questions. Form isn’t the only one whose questions go unanswered, but I think you get the point. The FUQ replies are typically “I’ve got tags to fill” “I’ve got a wall of dead animals to prove my [usually incoherent] opinion as ‘fact’” etc.

the tikka is a good option and have it cut and threaded , have done several with great results .The t3x stocks will work for a nice lightweight set up or go aftermarket .Both work. I recently picked up a Browning x-bolt hells canyon sr in 308 which has an 18"fluted ,threaded barrel which is a joy to shoot and pack. Accuracy is quite good as well .

I have a new acronym - FUQ. Form’s Unanswered Questions. Form isn’t the only one whose questions go unanswered, but I think you get the point. The FUQ replies are typically “I’ve got tags to fill” “I’ve got a wall of dead animals to prove my [usually incoherent] opinion as ‘fact’” etc.
Could you please use it in a sentence?

I keep circling back to "Fuddfuqer", but I don't know if that's even a thing?? (And I know it's not a sentence)

Back