16" conpact bolt big game rifle

WRO

WKR
Really? I sold mine for a Tikka…

Cool story, tikkas have shitty stocks, wrong twist rate, and you can’t save the weight if you’re trying to suppress.

Ran both, 0% chance I would grab a stock over a stock fireldcraft in the same caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen273

WKR
Cool story, tikkas have shitty stocks, wrong twist rate, and you can’t save the weight if you’re trying to suppress.

Ran both, 0% chance I would grab a stock over a stock fireldcraft in the same caliber.

Don't bring facts to Rokslide concerning rifles. This is the twilight zone, where Tikka is the best rifle ever conceived and everything about it is perfect….😉

To each their own, but there are many rifles better than a Tikka in my opinion. Yes, I know that I am in the minority on here and that's okay. Also, no offense is intended to all the Tikka lovers; as I am not insulting you or your mother, I just don't agree with you on what you consider the best factory rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
tikkas have shitty stocks,

What about the T3x stock is shitty? The Fieldcraft stock looks nicer, but isn’t exactly a peach in correct design.

wrong twist rate,

What bullets in what caliber are you actually shooting that a T3x barrel won’t stabilize?

and you can’t save the weight if you’re trying to suppress.

That is true. However, with the Stocky’s hunting stock, the weight difference is significantly less than it used to be.

The Fieldcraft was certainly one of the best options of the genres, and I have no care what you or anyone uses. However using multiple extensively, they have actual real issues. First, the bolt binds pretty badly and the action is quite rough. Feeding is compromised and noticeable. Two, they have a massive opening on the side of the bolt that lets in snow/ice/debris into the mag well, and multiple times I had feeing issues because of it. Third, the stock, while better than most were, isn’t a great design for shooting. Fourth, and not least of which they use a significantly less tolerant or reliable trigger system.

atmat

WKR

Comparing “factory” to “factory” is silly when one cost 3x the other on the used market exclusively because it was a limited run.

I sold my Fieldcraft for $2850. My semi-custom Tikkas cost $1250. The stock ergonomics are now better, they’re equally accurate, they’re not blind box, integrated rail (vs shitty Talley lightweights), better/cheaper aftermarket barrels (if you shoot one out), and they don’t have the problems intrinsic to an R700 system.

Edit: And the FC’s don’t come with 16” barrels so you have to cut one anyway lol. “Holy grail” lmao. That’s great.

Please. I have both. Except for weight, Tikka is better in every way (and cool factor). And starting to lose my love for ultralight rifles.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Don't bring facts to Rokslide concerning rifles. This is the twilight zone, where Tikka is the best rifle ever conceived and everything about it is perfect….😉

To each their own, but there are many rifles better than a Tikka in my opinion. Yes, I know that I am in the minority on here and that's okay. Also, no offense is intended to all the Tikka lovers; as I am not insulting you or your mother, I just don't agree with you on what you consider the best factory rifle.

I am not child and therefor have no love or fan over any in inanimate object. I would genuinely like to know what specific objective things that “many rifles are better than a Tikka” have? That is quality of barrel, reliability and function of action, reliability and feel of trigger, stiff and stable stock, longevity and reliability in long term use, reliability in harsh environmental conditions- feeding, firing, extracting, ejecting, and feeding again. Etc.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a sub $800 Finnish rifle is so, however in shooting and using vast quantities and types of hunting rifles side by side from to desert to deep mountain snow, I can’t think of a single one made on the market that is better in actual function than a Tikka, and only a few that in aggregate work as well. Certainly no Remington based custom action can say that. Nor Browning due to trigger issues. Not Howa due to trigger issues and bolt binding. Savage isn’t remotely close due to bolt binding, small parts reliability, flimsy stocks, triggers susceptible to inclement weather; Nor is Weatherby’s due to longevity or reliability. Though they come the closest of any US option, Winchesters aren’t either.

Basically the only rifles that match T3’s in reliability and consistent use across all environments that I have personally seen are Blaser R8’s, Sako TRG’s, and legacy Accuracy Internationals. The Sako S20 looks like it will be one as well. The Sauer 100 is a close competitor to the T3, and in most uses is very good. However it is a bit more susceptible to freezing water and ice locking up the safety than T3’s.

Gen273

WKR
I am not child and therefor have no love or fan over any in inanimate object. I would genuinely like to know what specific objective things that “many rifles are better than a Tikka” have? That is quality of barrel, reliability and function of action, reliability and feel of trigger, stiff and stable stock, longevity and reliability in long term use, reliability in harsh environmental conditions- feeding, firing, extracting, ejecting, and feeding again. Etc.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a sub $800 Finnish rifle is so, however in shooting and using vast quantities and types of hunting rifles side by side from to desert to deep mountain snow, I can’t think of a single one made on the market that is better in actual function than a Tikka, and only a few that in aggregate work as well. Certainly no Remington based custom action can say that. Nor Browning due to trigger issues. Not Howa due to trigger issues and bolt binding. Savage isn’t remotely close due to bolt binding, small parts reliability, flimsy stocks, triggers susceptible to inclement weather; Nor is Weatherby’s due to longevity or reliability. Though they come the closest of any US option, Winchesters aren’t either.

Basically the only rifles that match T3’s in reliability and consistent use across all environments that I have personally seen are Blaser R8’s, Sako TRG’s, and legacy Accuracy Internationals. The Sako S20 looks like it will be one as well. The Sauer 100 is a close competitor to the T3, and in most uses is very good. However it is a bit more susceptible to freezing water and ice locking up the safety than T3’s.
I didn't say nor insinuate that you or anyone else was a child for liking a Tikka.

I am happy that you have found a rifle that you love. I just have a different opinion on said rifle, and that is okay.

I hope that you have a great season with the Tilka that you love and have confidence in.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I didn't say nor insinuate that you or anyone else was a child for liking a Tikka.

I am happy that you have found a rifle that you love. I just have a different opinion on said rifle, and that is okay.

I hope that you have a great season with the Tilka that you love and have confidence in.

So you can’t or won’t answer the below?

what specific objective things that “many rifles are better than a Tikka” have? That is quality of barrel, reliability and function of action, reliability and feel of trigger, stiff and stable stock, longevity and reliability in long term use, reliability in harsh environmental conditions- feeding, firing, extracting, ejecting, and feeding again. Etc.

You did say there are many better rifles. As Form has done over and over, please tell us which brands are better and why.

Gen273

WKR
You did say there are many better rifles. As Form has done over and over, please tell us which brands are better and why.
Reading comprehension is an important life skill. I said, in my opinion, there are many better rifles. It's simply my opinion; that doesn't make me right, and it certainly doesn't make me wrong.

Enjoy your Tikka!

Gen273

WKR
I apologize to the OP, as this thread has gone off the rails from his original question. However, don't chop a Tikka, consider a Ruger Hawkeye compact, and thank me later.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Comparing “factory” to “factory” is silly when one cost 3x the other on the used market exclusively because it was a limited run.

I sold my Fieldcraft for $2850. My semi-custom Tikkas cost $1250. The stock ergonomics are now better, they’re equally accurate, they’re not blind box, integrated rail (vs shitty Talley lightweights), better/cheaper aftermarket barrels (if you shoot one out), and they don’t have the problems intrinsic to an R700 system.

Edit: And the FC’s don’t come with 16” barrels so you have to cut one anyway lol. “Holy grail” lmao. That’s great.

I didn’t say any of mine had a 16”, great job on reading comprehension. 18” is pretty close though.

I hate magazines on hunting rifles, I’ve had to look for a few of my clients over the years.

I’m pretty sure that a tikka in 6.5 creedmore is why the dinosaurs went extinct.

atmat

WKR
I didn’t say any of mine had a 16”, great job on reading comprehension. 18” is pretty close though.
He said he wanted a 16”. You replied saying the FC is the “holy grail.” Certainly that sorta terminology implies it would at least meet the parameters he asked for.

Or you meant “holy grail” of some random, unrelated set of criteria. Which would be a weird response.

WRO

WKR
He said he wanted a 16”. You replied saying the FC is the “holy grail.” Certainly that sorta terminology implies it would at least meet the parameters he asked for.

Or you meant “holy grail” of some random, unrelated set of criteria. Which would be a weird response.

Name a short barreled light weight factory set up rife that’s supressor ready that’s better? That’s what the ops asking about.

I’ll wait.

Sled

WKR
Op,

You can wade thru a bunch of sewage and eventually end up with a solid rifle. You could also press the easy button and start with a Tikka. I picked up my first back in the mid 2000's and began buying more soon after. You can stick with a 6.5 or pick any other non magnum caliber in a 16" bbl and be happy well past your goal of 300 yards. My preference is less powder with 16" and 20" for magnums when suppressed. 18" is the sweet spot and most of my barrels end up that length. I'd also resist the urge to play with the K baffle suppressors if noise suppression is your goal. Good luck in your search.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Op,

You can wade thru a bunch of sewage and eventually end up with a solid rifle. You could also press the easy button and start with a Tikka. I picked up my first back in the mid 2000's and began buying more soon after. You can stick with a 6.5 or pick any other non magnum caliber in a 16" bbl and be happy well past your goal of 300 yards. My preference is less powder with 16" and 20" for magnums when suppressed. 18" is the sweet spot and most of my barrels end up that length. I'd also resist the urge to play with the K baffle suppressors if noise suppression is your goal. Good luck in your search.
which Tikka model or you recommend any of them?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A chopped and thread Tikka with an aftermarket stock at today's prices will be cheaper that a Fieldcraft at MSRP several years ago.

An opinion with no explanation is worth less than it costs. I have personally ignored @Formidilosus advice given to me directly, his advice was well explained at the time and turns out I would have saved time and money if I had listened as I no longer own the NX8 and I do own an SWFA and the SWFA is the better choice for what I use it for. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/talk-me-out-of-a-nightforce-nx8-1-8x10.173813/

I have owned several rifles, I now have a Tikka, only time will tell if it is a keeper, but so far, so good. Of course, I would be wondering if the ones that have gone down the road were better if I had not tried them. So, not sure I would actually be ahead if I had started with a Tikka.