1 month training

Jmort1754

WKR
So I have one month left before we head out again for a trip to Colorado. Now this is an annual trip and I do cardio and weight training year round.

The past few weeks I have started to do 3x weekly 30 pound pack hikes up the hills around our house. Do you guys up your weighted hikes or stay the course?

Elkangle

WKR
Obviously depending on the individual but Increase the weight to say 50-70pounds, or just heavy enough that you can still have a control stride and can maintain a consistent pace through out your allotted time in your given terrain. a month isn't much time so focus on stretching and not hurting yourself... the last ten days turn things down

Good luck

big44a4

WKR
No weighted rucks here. Never noticed a difference from when I’ve done them some in the past. Normal lifting routine and added in walks as that is what it takes to hunt. Walking with a day pack most days.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I taper my resistance training the closer to the season. January through June is predominantly the window I try to gain strength. Currently it's just maintenance.

June into September is where I begin increasing my cardiovascular training in both duration and intensity (I do it year round of course). For weighted rucking I usually don't go over 45lbs however, in the past I have experimented with starting heavy (80lbs) and during a say 1200 meter ruck decrease the weight by 10lbs every couple of hundred meters. It was apart of a fantastic rucking program that worked great.

c00p

FNG
I taper my resistance training the closer to the season. January through June is predominantly the window I try to gain strength. Currently it's just maintenance.

June into September is where I begin increasing my cardiovascular training in both duration and intensity (I do it year round of course). For weighted rucking I usually don't go over 45lbs however, in the past I have experimented with starting heavy (80lbs) and during a say 1200 meter ruck decrease the weight by 10lbs every couple of hundred meters. It was apart of a fantastic rucking program that worked great.
Is your normal pack weight around 80 lbs or do you overshoot on purpose? I’ve been rucking with my actual pack setup. Should I add some weight?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Is your normal pack weight around 80 lbs or do you overshoot on purpose? I’ve been rucking with my actual pack setup. Should I add some weight?
The weight was prescribed in the specific program I was training with. It was for one specific evolution. I would not suggest carrying 80lbs all the time, unless it's for targeted effect.

If I'm doing a distance training ruck I don't carry over 45lbs.

Fullfan

WKR
Started on 07/01. 130 miles a week on the bike, hike 3 days a week w 50 pounds. And on the stepper 3 days a week. 59 years old, and I know it will not be enough for 3 weeks in Idaho,

87TT

WKR
We walk our dog twice a day year round. 1 1/2 miles with hills. I start wearing my pack in the spring with around 25 lbs. I bump it up every few weeks and now it is 50. I also throw a steep hill climb at the end of the walk that really gets the heart rate up. When I start hunting my pack weight is around 20-25 lbs. It feels like I am floating. I also shoot my bow with it on. At 71, if I didn't do all this I don't know if I would still be going, Sucks sometimes but it's worth it.

I increase weight to 70lbs around now for shorter hikes (2-3miles) a few times a week. For the last few weeks i have been running 2.5 miles followed by 2.5 mile 40lbs ruck every day (all hills). I think the heavy ruck helps the mental game the most, it’s not fun!

LTGentry

FNG
Rucking alone is great but I’ve had the best results from sprinkling in days for fartleks and hill sprints.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m in the minority, but have met plenty of guys in my boat - no amount or combination of weight lifting has ever been enough to toughen up pressure points on the hips or the shoulder muscles used for backpacking. Not when I was 20, or 30, or 40, or 50. Not with cheap packs, or the best packs money could buy. My DANA Terraplane cost more than the old hunting jeep from my 20’s.

I’m a fan of a heavy pack, but not carrying any weight before a trip is like packing food you’ve never tried before - it works until it doesn’t. :)

I’m a fan of daily cardio and smashing the weights 5-6 times a week. I’ve tried rucking with heavy packs and it didn’t add anything compared to weekly running, lifting and swimming besides added stress on the body. I love heavy pack outs but I don’t think they are needed if you stay in shape year round.

I did a ton of heavy rucking up until a few years ago I started having an issue with my heel and ended up being plantar fasciitis.

I have to walk 8-10 miles on concrete floors 3-4 days a week, so I only do my rogue air bike and weight lifting 3-4 days a week and do different circuits. I did two backpack hunts in the mountains last year and felt just as good as when I was rucking and running several miles a week to prepare for hunts. I personally feel like weighted rucks put a lot of miles on your knees and back and over time can be detrimental. Just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
With only one month I would just stay your current course, you are not going to get much benefit from upping the weight at this point as far as fitness. The exception would be if you have a new pack or have never used your current pack loaded with a heavy awkward load then I would load it up and see if you need to make some adjustments now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaleAiles

FNG
I always think that I should be doing more heavy rucking...but end up running because I enjoy it more. I think if you're in decent shape, just doing anything more than your normal is a plus. In my experience, so much of it if mental when you are out there.