Seek Outside Carbon Fiber Frame

sndmn11

WKR
There was a thread or two this summer (I searched but can't find them) asking about new stuff from Seek. Others also asked about why they were not present in @Zach Herold 's 2023 testing.

Carbon fiber frames are the answer to both questions. I had prototype #1ish on my back the past few days and I think it has a bright future. It arrived a day before the trip started and no animals were harmed, so I'll throw do some weighted training hikes before sending it back. I did have 400oz of extra water on top of my normal day gear/water just to see how it felt and it was fine.

My understanding is internal frames first, like this one, and then external frames will follow. My guess is these will be close to 2.5lbs in final form, maybe less.

PXL_20231117_150903727.jpg

sneek-ee

WKR
Can you take the frame in and out? Do you have pictures of the frame?

How tall is the frame? Good load lift on the internal frame setup?

Pretty excited to see what they come up with.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Can you take the frame in and out? Do you have pictures of the frame?

How tall is the frame? Good load lift on the internal frame setup?

Pretty excited to see what they come up with.

This is the first internal frame pack I've used. I don't know if I should be feeling anything different in lift than my revolution, but so far I was very comfortable and put in one of my longest mileage days yesterday.

I don't have pictures of the frame other than the one above because this is a prototype and my purpose is to try and find flaws. Things will likely change a little bit between this and the final production. To be frank, the pack material on this is just remnant because using the Ultra PE on prototypes would double the cost and the frame is the focus.

I know this prototype is not 28" like how I have my revolution set up. I have not measured it, but would imagine multiple frame stay options would be available.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I'm guessing the external frame versions will be compatible with Revolution frame packs, ya?
I can't imagine that they wouldn't. The current revolution packs just attach with straps to the frame; you can strap a lot of different brand bags to a revo frame and vice versa. I had a k4 2200 on my revo frame for pronghorn this year because I think the pocket lay out is great.

There was a thread or two this summer (I searched but can't find them) asking about new stuff from Seek. Others also asked about why they were not present in @Zach Herold 's 2023 testing.

Carbon fiber frames are the answer to both questions. I had prototype #1ish on my back the past few days and I think it has a bright future. It arrived a day before the trip started and no animals were harmed, so I'll throw do some weighted training hikes before sending it back. I did have 400oz of extra water on top of my normal day gear/water just to see how it felt and it was fine.

My understanding is internal frames first, like this one, and then external frames will follow. My guess is these will be close to 2.5lbs in final form, maybe less.

View attachment 628385
Wait... Your saying the final pack all dressed up is 2 1/2 lbs? I'd cheat on my ethics for that

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Wait... Your saying the final pack all dressed up is 2 1/2 lbs? I'd cheat on my ethics for that

My educated guess is yes, close

-current internal frame models are 3ish. Aluminum tubing is used.
-flight packs are under 2.5lbs both as listed on their site and the one that I have and weighed.
-this prototype is 3ish lbs and ultrape will shed some ounces.

"All dressed up" probably means different things. Add a lid, weight goes up, add more pockets that need zippers (this one actually has two zippered side pockets) weight goes up, an extra set of weeping straps, hip pockets, etc. weight goes up.

My educated guess is yes, close

-current internal frame models are 3ish. Aluminum tubing is used.
-flight packs are under 2.5lbs both as listed on their site and the one that I have and weighed.
-this prototype is 3ish lbs and ultrape will shed some ounces.

"All dressed up" probably means different things. Add a lid, weight goes up, add more pockets that need zippers (this one actually has two zippered side pockets) weight goes up, an extra set of weeping straps, hip pockets, etc. weight goes up.
Very cool!! When do you think it'll be available?

feanor

WKR
Very cool to see some ultralight stuff with loads carrying capacity. Thanks for sharing.

Yes total weight goes down when using lighter bag options. Cordura 500 is cheap and bombproof, so it’s a good option for most packs. But you can shave a full pound off of a bag when using the right materials.

I’m interested to see the external option since I think they are more versatile.

JohnB

WKR
Jeez. 2.5 lbs would be impressive! I've been quite happy with the Goshawk 4800 I've had for the last 4 years. It's likely got a long way to go before I kill it but I'd be curious to switch to an internal frame with a meat shelf inside and it bump up to a 6300 pack.

Thanks for the sneak peak!

Rokwiia

WKR
I've never owned a carbon-fiber frame backpack so a question or two. How does it perform when compared to their 6061 T6 aluminum frame as far as flex and strength? How does carbon fiber perform in cold weather.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I've never owned a carbon-fiber frame backpack so a question or two. How does it perform when compared to their 6061 T6 aluminum frame as far as flex and strength? How does carbon fiber perform in cold weather.

Good questions! I can't think of ever hearing any temperature issue with carbon fiber. Stone Glacier has been using CF for 10 years or so. Exo uses it on the K4. So, I don't believe cold temperatures poses any threat to performance.

What I am feeling with this pack is better rotational flexibility than my revolution frame. I think nimble is a good adjective. I don't know if that is due to this prototype being an internal frame and that is a general characteristic if that, or if the CF frame is contributing to that feeling. I believe that CF can be utilized to provide directional stiffness/flexibility, and I think that is one of it's top attributes.

I still need to get a significant amount of weight in it; kid's bday party today, so it will be later this week.

woods89

WKR
Very interesting!

I packed part of an elk out on an older (Cordura/Xpac) Lanner. It worked very well. I personally need 4" extensions so I'd advocate strongly for 28" options for us longer torso'd individuals.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
To close this out for now, I loaded up a little over 80lbs between two bags of rock salt and a little water for me, and hiked a few miles.

Nothing broke
Nothing was uncomfortable

Carbon fiber gets stiffer as it gets cold, flimsier as it gets hot, but for our practical purposes it's all in the noise.

1-s2.0-S1359836811002812-gr4.jpg