Youtubers ruin public hunting. Change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
As I was scrolling through YouTube yesterday, I saw a newer video from one of the more popular youtubers hunting in an OTC Unit. One part of the video had a quick glimpse of their OnX as they were showing their position relative to one of the many different groups of bulls they found. Maybe 3 seconds or so, but it was enough that I could zoom in, gather enough info, and cross reference it to OnX. After 30 minutes of looking for that exact bend in the river and the outline of the two track road, I had it found. Many guys don't think about what kind of tidbits they are putting in these videos and how it can burn spots for others. Its not a popular unit, and its not somewhere someone would look for elk.
Do better fellas.

I know people love to hate Matt Rinella, but the man’s got a point.

There’s no point to posting dead animal pics for people you don’t know to view. I don’t care what reason you lie to yourself with, but it boils down to an ego boost and that’s the beginning and the end of it.

“I want to share my journey” with friends? I can see that. I can see going to work after a successful hunt and showing some coworkers some pics. Hell, maybe even bringing in some to share. Thanksgiving dinner - “hey Jeff how about that hunting this year you get anything?” Yeah, check it out.

Complete strangers? The only reason it matters is for ego.

I know people love to hate Matt Rinella, but the man’s got a point.

“I want to share my journey” with friends? I can see that. I can see going to work after a successful hunt and showing some coworkers some pics.
I think the icky thing about Matt is that he is shitting on his brother's livelihood in a personal and public way. Most everyone loves the content that Steven produces. That's not to say he is wrong about most of his message, but the way he comes across feels a little petty and selfish.

I'm with not posting pictures of dead animals on places like Facebook or work chats. That is a good policy and might keep you off HR's radar if one works with overly sensitive busy bodies. I'll post pictures of nature, such as sunrise and sunset shots, or deer. Non hunting coworkers seem to enjoy hunting stories as well.

Jbehredt

WKR
One well known guy posted his buddies actual honey hole. Said it was an old timer who knew this spring always drew pressured elk. Just a couple hundred yard off the road. Couldn’t be bothered to blur the name of the spring or the creek. Took me single digit minutes to find it in a unit I’ve never been in. And yes, I saved it.

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
One well known guy posted his buddies actual honey hole. Said it was an old timer who knew this spring always drew pressured elk. Just a couple hundred yard off the road. Couldn’t be bothered to blur the name of the spring or the creek. Took me single digit minutes to find it in a unit I’ve never been in. And yes, I saved it.
I messaged the guy to let him know as not to ruin the spot for others who hunt the same area. I personally won't be going there, but I will keep the pin for research purposes.

Poser

WKR
I watched a video recently of some guys bowhunting mule deer in the unit I live in and was just floored at how these guys were giving away every location with "epic" scenery shots.

WTFJohn

WKR
It's not just Youtube/Podcasts/TV, plenty of members here feel that posting spots is increasing access for new hunters, or that giving up details on 'area the size of a small state' (a single unit) won't impact things.

Many seek to feed their ego instead of themselves & family.

CB4

WKR
How is it any different than people posting pictures in magazines or here on rokslide? YouTube has nothing to do with it. It has been happening forever.

I have seen the same thing though guys putting screenshots into video of their onx and showing exactly where they were. I find it, note it and know to avoid those areas because every Tom Dick and Harry will be going there. I get it if its a once in a lifetime tag but for OTC or general tags you can get the story across without it. Same with the scenery pictures.

intunegp

WKR
I agree with the sentiment and OP's example is egregious, but I also think people blow it out of proportion to some degree. The most likely group to recognize a peak or local landmarks in the background of some influencer video are locals/people already hunting and familiar with the area, and the internet sleuths here on Rokslide.

Additionally, you could make the very fair argument that hunting would be equally "ruined" whether or not the influencers were getting rich off it.

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the sentiment and OP's example is egregious, but I also think people blow it out of proportion to some degree. The most likely group to recognize a peak or local landmarks in the background of some influencer video are locals/people already hunting and familiar with the area, and the internet sleuths here on Rokslide.

Additionally, you could make the very fair argument that hunting would be equally "ruined" whether or not the influencers were getting rich off it.
I don't think it's just locals that can find something on Onx shown for a short amount of time. Just knowing the geography of the area, the color of BLM vs national forest, and a .5 mile section of river that was shown was more than plenty for me to find the exact point when I live 15 hours away and have never hunted anywhere near there. But a local is absolutely more apt to figure it out.

I think the icky thing about Matt is that he is shitting on his brother's livelihood in a personal and public way. Most everyone loves the content that Steven produces. That's not to say he is wrong about most of his message, but the way he comes across feels a little petty and selfish.
Exactly, and after he’s been on the show and contributed a lot himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.