Youtubers ruin public hunting. Change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty funny how often people come on here bitchin' about influencers after watching their video.
8xkr6s.jpg

KurtR

WKR
I watch the shit out of waterfowl hunting on you tube this time of year for something to do. Its channels that are hunting private land have good dog work (have a breaking or noisy dog turned off right away) and good cinematography.

Big game is boring to watch 90% b roll and a kill shot with a few sunrises. I will say the camera work on the western hunter is spectacular.

BCsteve

WKR
Ok, so no hunting on social media. Does Rokslide count as social media? Can we post photos and hunting stories on Rokslide? Can we discuss hunting or is that too much too?

What about the Rokcast and Shoot 2 hunt podcast, probably shouldn't be listening to those or watch their videos either. I'm going to have so much free time now!

It is absolutely causing major issues, and for what? So a bunch of unemployed people can avoid having a real job? It seems to be a pursuit of validation for individuals with no depth of purpose or meaning in their lives. The male version of daddy issues and OF accounts in a hollow attempt to bring themselves purpose and income. It's pathetic.
I've killed Colorado OTC bulls in an overlooked spot the last couple of seasons. It's by no means a secret, but overlooked enough to be consistent. Last season some attention-hungry morons made a video in the spot. Trailhead signs, overview of the entire area with unmistakable features in the background, everything. Absolute clown show shooting was the cherry on top. I tried to make the case in the comments that a great hunting spot was worth more than any attention they'd receive from strangers on YT. To them, the opposite is true. "Sharing their journey" as a method of garnering attention from the internet means more to them than hunting. People with such a skewed hierarchy of values shouldn't be hunting at all.
In my opinion, this sort of behavior should be shamed and shunned until it becomes extinct. Unfortunately their little fan clubs are equally useless, so the cycle of idiocy is likely to continue.

There was a Rokslide post from a few years ago where the guy posted a screenshot of a mountain from a Meateater episode and was asking if anyone recognized it.

There are phone apps where you just hold your phone camera up to the mountains and it tells you the names of the mountains.

Back in 2012 I bought a guidebook to fly fishing the west that was published in the early 90's. I was able to determine the exact location of a lake in one of the photos using the Google Earth tilt feature to match up the ridge line with the snowfield behind the lake. Then I went there and fished it! I bet the author didn't foresee that back in 1991. AI is going to make it even easier to determine locations from photos and videos in the near future. Not posting is going to be the only surefire way to keep people from finding your spots.

MattB

WKR
@bucksnbirds by watching these videos you are also part of the problem. These idiots would have nothing without the "views" you are providing.
Exactly. This is a very ironic thread in that it is started by someone who admits to being part of the problem in the very first sentence - apparently without even realizing it. You can’t separate the YouTubers who are providing the content from the people who watch the videos and help those YouTubers monetize said content.

ODB

WKR
I think the icky thing about Matt is that he is shitting on his brother's livelihood in a personal and public way. Most everyone loves the content that Steven produces. That's not to say he is wrong about most of his message, but the way he comes across feels a little petty and selfish.

I'm with not posting pictures of dead animals on places like Facebook or work chats. That is a good policy and might keep you off HR's radar if one works with overly sensitive busy bodies. I'll post pictures of nature, such as sunrise and sunset shots, or deer. Non hunting coworkers seem to enjoy hunting stories as well.

Give Matt a call and he will be happy to give you some background

Just wait till the AI tools come out to triangulate locations based on skylines or any mountains/features...

Look up georainbolt on Instagram. He’s making a living at it.

Archer86

WKR
Problem is it's not just youtubers either. You can listen to podcast where guys talk about points need post some pictures on Instagram and who they are hunting with and know quickly were they're at .

a guy on here did this last year in wyoming posted pictures of his wyoming bull talked about it on his podcast anyone that knows that area knows where he was

IBen

WKR
I know people love to hate Matt Rinella, but the man’s got a point.

There’s no point to posting dead animal pics for people you don’t know to view. I don’t care what reason you lie to yourself with, but it boils down to an ego boost and that’s the beginning and the end of it.

“I want to share my journey” with friends? I can see that. I can see going to work after a successful hunt and showing some coworkers some pics. Hell, maybe even bringing in some to share. Thanksgiving dinner - “hey Jeff how about that hunting this year you get anything?” Yeah, check it out.

Complete strangers? The only reason it matters is for ego.
I dont disgree with this at all but you realize Matt Rinella is just Steve's controlled opposition. How convenient it is that Matt Rinellas biggest critic is his own brother….

IBen

WKR
Ok, so no hunting on social media. Does Rokslide count as social media? Can we post photos and hunting stories on Rokslide? Can we discuss hunting or is that too much too?

What about the Rokcast and Shoot 2 hunt podcast, probably shouldn't be listening to those or watch their videos either. I'm going to have so much free time now!
Yea forums, sm, yt, hunting mags, hunting shows they all serve the same purpose at the end of the day. Hunting mags at the barber shop when i was 6 years old serves the same purpose as SM now a days

Social Media has had a significant impact on outdoor recreation in general. National parks are a joke. Even small state or local parks are overcrowded. Any little gem of an outdoor spot has been plastered all over the internet. Many campgrounds are always full now.

Just locally I can think of multiple examples of camp areas we used to be able to just go to that now you need a reservation for and they are usually full. Parks you could always just go to and park that are now always full. Some areas that you could visit without too many people that now require reservations or permits and are crowded. It sucks.

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. This is a very ironic thread in that it is started by someone who admits to being part of the problem in the very first sentence - apparently without even realizing it. You can’t separate the YouTubers who are providing the content from the people who watch the videos and help those YouTubers monetize said content.
Everyone who has said something similar to this has watched a YouTube video related to hunting. It's not part of my daily regimen, but I do watch some every now and then. As someone who doesn't live in Elk country, it has helped to find elk consistently over the years. Why put myself at a disadvantage when there are resources that can help? If they went away, I would have zero problem. But if they stay, I'm going to take advantage of it.

I don't believe in banks, but still use one because there are advantages even if they aren't out for my best interest and ruin much of modern day america.

MattB

WKR
Everyone who has said something similar to this has watched a YouTube video related to hunting. It's not part of my daily regimen, but I do watch some every now and then. As someone who doesn't live in Elk country, it has helped to find elk consistently over the years. Why put myself at a disadvantage when there are resources that can help? If they went away, I would have zero problem. But if they stay, I'm going to take advantage of it.

I don't believe in banks, but still use one because there are advantages even if they aren't out for my best interest and ruin much of modern day america.
The difference is that other people aren’t claiming YouTube is ruining western hunting while contributing to the very problem they are complaining about.

I worked for a bank for 25 years.

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
The difference is that other people aren’t claiming YouTube is ruining western hunting while contributing to the very problem they are complaining about.

I worked for a bank for 25 years.
Deep down, everyone knows youtube ruins everything that has anything to do with the outdoors.

Poser

WKR
Deep down, everyone knows youtube ruins everything that has anything to do with the outdoors.

Ski resorts, too. Since the beginning of lift served ski terrain, there have been "secret stashes" at larger ski resorts: Trees with no signs and no formalized names. Within these trees are "smoke shacks": small log cabins built in the summer months by hardcore locals to have a place to be discreet (a little outdates in these modern days of vape pens and edibles). Also, there are secret and non sanctioned rail systems constructed with logs for freestyle. As such areas were secrets amongst locals, these trees usually hold snow for days after storm cycles. Most people would never notice them.

Along come these YouTubers with their GoPros making videos called "The best powder stashes at ski resort X." Next thing you know, the "secret stashes" are instantly skied out anytime there is new snow, ski patrol becomes aware of unsanctioned construction and tears down the rails and you have Spring Breaker/vacation skiers partying in the smoke shacks. You used to have to put you time in, befriend a long time local and, much like hunting spots, if you were taken into "secret stashes", you were to be withholding and discreet about such areas.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Stop going to full draw film tour, stop watching these chumps pimping our lifestyle for clicks, stop making YouTube videos and blowing hunts up. You will not be Steven or Randy or any other “influencer” bro. what you will do is make it harder for you and your children to enjoy the thing you claim to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.