Youtubers ruin public hunting. Change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
One youtuber I watch went to Kansas a few years ago. Killed a giant Whitetail in a day or so. Posted it everywhere then the next year was bit**ing about how many people were hunting Kansas now and how bad it is to put it online. 🤦‍♂️

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
YouTube also gets people into hunting, people hunting keeps the sport alive and keeps funds coming in for conservation etc. My parents didn't hunt, I had no idea about anything hunting and always heard a elk hunt is too expensive for normal people to do. Come across videos 10 years ago explaining public land and buying otc licenses and it's like oh hey I actually can go hunt. Now it's something I do every year and I've gotten multiple friends into it. I understand the hate with alot of the YouTubers but there is also some pretty good ones.

Just my .02

intunegp

WKR
I don't think it's just locals that can find something on Onx shown for a short amount of time. Just knowing the geography of the area, the color of BLM vs national forest, and a .5 mile section of river that was shown was more than plenty for me to find the exact point when I live 15 hours away and have never hunted anywhere near there. But a local is absolutely more apt to figure it out.

Which is why I said your example was egregious. It's definitely more problematic to flash OnX across the screen than to have mountains in the background. Would you have been able to track down that same area so confidently using only the geography shown in the video?

rclouse79

WKR
As I was scrolling through YouTube yesterday, I saw a newer video from one of the more popular youtubers hunting in an OTC Unit. One part of the video had a quick glimpse of their OnX as they were showing their position relative to one of the many different groups of bulls they found. Maybe 3 seconds or so, but it was enough that I could zoom in, gather enough info, and cross reference it to OnX. After 30 minutes of looking for that exact bend in the river and the outline of the two track road, I had it found. Many guys don't think about what kind of tidbits they are putting in these videos and how it can burn spots for others. Its not a popular unit, and its not somewhere someone would look for elk.
Do better fellas.
I noticed the same thing years ago. It was a popular podcaster/youtuber that was doing a bear hunt in a "super secret" area. He showed his onx at a river crossing with the elevation line crossing the river. If you knew the general area they were in it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know a river will only be at that elevation at one location.
Saw a different group bear hunting one season and they commented on how they never saw anyone in this spot. The next year they went to the same spot and there were guys crawling up and down every ridge. They complained about it, but I don't think they were smart enough to realize they were the ones who most likely blew it up.
I am guilty of watching to learn and get pumped up for hunting season, but there are definitely aspects of the whole thing that just feel dirty.

TaperPin

WKR
From what I’ve seen the biggest waste of flesh are the guys in FB groups and blogs that go much farther than just share information on a few animals, but walk people through an entire area - nothing is held back. Spending money on apps is feeding the monster and motivating developers to add more and more information. The disconnect between this and the downturn of hunting opportunities is puzzling - like guys can’t see beyond next week and don’t care what happens to them and others a year from now or 10. It’s safe to say, enough guys won’t give a f’ and this trend will continue and the effect will compound.

Social media is here to stay and my faith in humanity is reduced a little every year.

WCB

WKR
From what I’ve seen the biggest waste of flesh are the guys in FB groups and blogs that go much farther than just share information on a few animals, but walk people through an entire area - nothing is held back. Spending money on apps is feeding the monster and motivating developers to add more and more information. The disconnect between this and the downturn of hunting opportunities is puzzling - like guys can’t see beyond next week and don’t care what happens to them and others a year from now or 10. It’s safe to say, enough guys won’t give a f’ and this trend will continue and the effect will compound.

Social media is here to stay and my faith in humanity is reduced a little every year.
100% agree. I do a lot of snow goose hunting in the spring. Migration reports were normally based off refuge reports and done 1 or 2xs a week. And of course you had a forum or two that guys would say a general area they were hunting.

Seems like the last year or two guys are literally posting onx or map images of where they have seen geese, exact miles from towns they are hunting, AND just posting scouting report while on vacation or work driving through areas. "Had to head to eastern SD for work birds 10 miles north of X town to 20 miles east of Y town". We hunt an area that is sort of out of the main migration line and would maybe see 1 or 2 vehicles and never saw a decoy spread for honestly 20years. This year and last 5-6 spreads in a tight area and I could find direct reports of people relaying information in an open forum/Facebook telling everyone of birds within 10miles of there.

TaperPin

WKR
100% agree. I do a lot of snow goose hunting in the spring. Migration reports were normally based off refuge reports and done 1 or 2xs a week. And of course you had a forum or two that guys would say a general area they were hunting.

Seems like the last year or two guys are literally posting onx or map images of where they have seen geese, exact miles from towns they are hunting, AND just posting scouting report while on vacation or work driving through areas. "Had to head to eastern SD for work birds 10 miles north of X town to 20 miles east of Y town". We hunt an area that is sort of out of the main migration line and would maybe see 1 or 2 vehicles and never saw a decoy spread for honestly 20years. This year and last 5-6 spreads in a tight area and I could find direct reports of people relaying information in an open forum/Facebook telling everyone of birds within 10miles of there.
Exactly! I feel bad for the younger generation that has only seen the gradual erosion of good hunting and think it’s normal. Just writing about it made a lump in my gut.

Gobbler36

WKR
YouTube also gets people into hunting, people hunting keeps the sport alive and keeps funds coming in for conservation etc. My parents didn't hunt, I had no idea about anything hunting and always heard a elk hunt is too expensive for normal people to do. Come across videos 10 years ago explaining public land and buying otc licenses and it's like oh hey I actually can go hunt. Now it's something I do every year and I've gotten multiple friends into it. I understand the hate with alot of the YouTubers but there is also some pretty good ones.

Just my .02
I’m sorry but I think this is all BS there isn’t one good thing about YouTube getting people into hunting. Hunting doesn’t need more hunters, and especially hunters posting their cheesy ass videos online to fuel more antis.

This is also my .02

Just my .02
Look!!
It’s the guy the modern day market hunting social media, tv, YouTube crowd says doesn’t exist.
The guy who only hunts because he saw someone on the internet do it.

Market hunting should be outlawed. Period.

Weldor

WKR
Wow, imagine hunting without a cell phone. Remember when a good map or GPS was the thing. Good times.

Just my .02
Actually, that would make them one of the bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.