Long Range Pistol - 460 S&W?

treillw

WKR
How far could you accurately shoot a pistol? I'm thinking something like the Taurus Raging Hunter 10" with a drop adjustable scope, bipod, and rear bag.

Open to better suggestions than the Taurus as well.

Thanks!

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Jerry proved that the bullet will get there, but with 150 feet of drop. If you are planning on dialing for elevation would be limited by your scope and what you want velocity you want retained at the target.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Jerry proved that the bullet will get there, but with 150 feet of drop. If you are planning on dialing for elevation would be limited by your scope and what you want velocity you want retained at the target.
Realistically, I'd be happy with reliability at 300 yards or so.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
The 460 Smith has always intrigued me, 300 yds should well be do able. With my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag 9.5", I can hold under a 2" group at 100.

I can smack 500 yard rams with my TC Contender in 7-30 Waters. I wouldn't hunt with it at that distance, but with a good rest and a very calm deer, I would take a 300 yard shot with it.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I can smack 500 yard rams with my TC Contender in 7-30 Waters. I wouldn't hunt with it at that distance, but with a good rest and a very calm deer, I would take a 300 yard shot with it.
What optic?

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
@treillw ,
300 yards is easy with a single-shot specialty pistol using a bottleneck cartridge (Rifle cartridge).
300 yards is much easier in a single-shot, when using a straight-wall cartridge.
300-400 yards is my starting practice distance for 10" steel, shooting prone or from the bench with one of my XP-100's.

Revolvers are a whole other cat.
Not many folks good enough for a 300 yard kill-shot on a big game animal with a revolver from field shooting positions.
Even if they are, then you have to look at impact velocities at 300 yards, and then discover if your said hunting bullet is going fast enough to perform well...

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
@treillw ,
300 yards is easy with a single-shot specialty pistol using a bottleneck cartridge (Rifle cartridge).
300 yards is much easier in a single-shot, when using a straight-wall cartridge.
300-400 yards is my starting practice distance for 10" steel, shooting prone or from the bench with one of my XP-100's.

Revolvers are a whole other cat.
Not many folks good enough for a 300 yard kill-shot on a big game animal with a revolver from field shooting positions.
Even if they are, then you have to look at impact velocities at 300 yards, and then discover if your said hunting bullet is going fast enough to perform well...
I'm interested in doing a straight walled pistol cartridge. What do you think is the best option?

Bugger

FNG
Have you shot a 460 yet? I’ve got a 454 casull in the raging hunter 8.75” and it is no fun to shoot. Takes a loooooot of practice and recoil control to be even somewhat accurate at 100+ yards.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Have you shot a 460 yet? I’ve got a 454 casull in the raging hunter 8.75” and it is no fun to shoot. Takes a loooooot of practice and recoil control to be even somewhat accurate at 100+ yards.
I have a 500

Trr15

WKR
I’m not a pistol hunter, but I was goofing around at my buddies range a couple weeks ago, ringing steel at 100 yards with my 460 w/open sight. I was really surprised how flat shooting it was with 300gr bullets.

Bugger

FNG
I have a 500
Touché.
Yeah going down in diameter is a smart move for stretching it out. Just be careful with some soft point bullets as they’re actually harder lead than recommended for hunting if you want expansion/frag. I think Sierra had some of those. It would be nice if Hornady made their leverevolution load with a bullet heavier than 200gr to bump the BC up a bit.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in doing a straight walled pistol cartridge. What do you think is the best option?

Best will have all kinds of options listed...Budget?
A single shot will be easier to shoot.
What is more important, is what do you want?
Budget?

Bert01

FNG
I’ve shot a couple of 5 shot groups under 1” @ 100 yds with my 14” 30-30 contender and a 2x pistol scope. Just takes practice. I do think 300 is getting outside of realistic revolver performance, but that’s just my opinion.

Wrench

WKR
I have a 460xvr with a 2-8 iirc. I can be about 2moa at 200 with it. Mine is not setup for a bipod.....which I strongly suggest.

As mentioned, the 460 is not like many other guns. I feel like I need to puke after a dozen or so rounds from the muzzle blast. I have never shot anything with the muzzle blast of this pig.