Your Second Layer?

Flight452

FNG
Enlighten Equipment Torrid Jacket. This is best piece of clothing gear I’ve ever bought. During early season I just have a light base layer and this jacket. Then starting in October I use it as my mid layer and end up wearing it most of the day because it’s plenty warm down to like 30 degrees. With a light base layer, this torrid jacket, and a stone glacier puffy on top I’ve never been cold down to 0 degrees.

That jacket looked very interesting to me, especially the part about it being made in the USA but when I went to the site to order i found this, not sure if thats for all the jackets or just the ready made/in stock options

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-051518_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202-051518_Gallery.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 72

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ evidently their on the shelf (non-custom) ones are now being made in Vietnam, their "custom" ones still in Minnesota

wonder when that changed

I don't think the "custom" ones cost much more (if any)- just have to wait for them to be made

ChrisAU

WKR
Thin merino base t-shirt, 125-150 weight, with Peloton 97 over it. Always and forever. It keeps me warm when moving down to 0* and below, but breathes well enough to keep me from sweating to death all the way up to 65* or so, generally.

So my answer is Peloton 97.

sneaky

"DADDY"
^ evidently their on the shelf (non-custom) ones are now being made in Vietnam, their "custom" ones still in Minnesota

wonder when that changed

I don't think the "custom" ones cost much more (if any)- just have to wait for them to be made
They've done that for a while with their quilts too. Ready made ones, the shells are sewn overseas, then stuffed with down and shipped from MN. Only the custom stuff is all done in MN. I bet people want made in US gear, but don't want to wait for it. They want it now, and cheap!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Do First Lite do something similar to the Sitka Active Jacket?

I've kinda lost track of their various line-up changes ...

Lowg08

WKR

I think the 37.5 is an attempt at it but it in my opinion is not comparable to the primaloft.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

Not directly, really. Their sawtooth stuff is kind of a hybrid active piece. If I’m going to wear it all day, I like their sawtooth vest for an active piece as it’s insulated in front and just wool on the back.

Clarktar

WKR
Check out this jacket... 11.5 ounces, Polartec Alpha

Clarktar

WKR
^ interesting, but where's the hood? :D
If I am "active" and on the move I run too hot for a hood.

And I think you can find it on sale at times for roughly 1/2 the price of the Sitka/Arrowhead MDWi

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a dyed in the wool hood guy :) I'm lost without a hood; I use them very frequently to regulate temps

I looked hard at the Kelvin Active jacket, but no hood was a non-starter for me- the reason I went with Active hoody, even though it was half sleeved

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm a dyed in the wool hood guy :) I'm lost without a hood; I use them very frequently to regulate temps

I looked hard at the Kelvin Active jacket, but no hood was a non-starter for me- the reason I went with Active hoody, even though it was half sleeved
Have you ever looked at the Buffalo Systems Special 6 out of the UK? Gets rave reviews and looks pretty interesting

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you ever looked at the Buffalo Systems Special 6 out of the UK? Gets rave reviews and looks pretty interesting

I have looked, but never bit. I agree, it's piqued my interest as well. They've been around for awhile and folks still swear by it.

woods89

WKR
20220213_183303.jpg20220213_183237.jpgHere's a bit of an experiment. I'm tired of having to be really cold at times while hiking to keep my back from sweating like crazy. This is a Columbia lightweight fleece I bought a few years ago from STP. It has breathable panels on the shoulders already, but I had my wife sew a mesh panel in the back that's just a bit wider than my widest backpack.

We probably won't have a lot of cold weather here anymore but I'm hopefully going to test it a bit before spring. I'll probably bring a vest to replace the lost area when static. Maybe I ruined a good fleece, or maybe it's nirvana. I'll report back.

I've thought for awhile that something like this should be available commercially.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Here's a bit of an experiment. I'm tired of having to be really cold at times while hiking to keep my back from sweating like crazy. This is a Columbia lightweight fleece I bought a few years ago from STP. It has breathable panels on the shoulders already, but I had my wife sew a mesh panel in the back that's just a bit wider than my widest backpack.

We probably won't have a lot of cold weather here anymore but I'm hopefully going to test it a bit before spring. I'll probably bring a vest to replace the lost area when static. Maybe I ruined a good fleece, or maybe it's nirvana. I'll report back.

I've thought for awhile that something like this should be available commercially.

That’s prezactly what Ryan and I were talking about. Take that, make it out if Polartec Alpha Direct… money.