Your Second Layer?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
From late October to December on hunts where I hike in the dark, get to a spot, glass for a few hours at daybreak then move and glass all day I pretty much have my BL figured out, But I am constantly changing what I take for a second layer. Most of the time this is my outer layer till I stop to glass. What are you guys using?
My system hasn't changed much in a long time. I use pretty much the same from spring bear through late season.

Baselayer - Short or long sleeve merino (usually about 150 weight)
2nd layer - Fleece or a Merino blend, my favorite is the Sitka Fanatic Hoody. (only complaint- tight sleeves)
3rd layer - Puffy vest unless it's really cold and I put a puffy jacket on and then the vest. My favorite is the Kuiu Super Down ULTRA Vest. I also like the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite but it's not as warm.

Lowg08

WKR
My system hasn't changed much in a long time. I use pretty much the same from spring bear through late season.

Baselayer - Short or long sleeve merino (usually about 150 weight)
2nd layer - Fleece or a Merino blend, my favorite is the Sitka Fanatic Hoody. (only complaint- tight sleeves)
3rd layer - Puffy vest unless it's really cold and I put a puffy jacket on and then the vest. My favorite is the Kuiu Super Down ULTRA Vest. I also like the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite but it's not as warm.
You have given me a really good idea

woods89

WKR
Second layer for me is usually a Black Diamond Alpine Start. That covers me while moving, unless I'm moving slow or it's really cold. My 3rd layer, which may be more what this thread is about, is a Sitka mid weight 1/4 zip fleece, but that usually doesn't go on until I'm sitting still.

Moserkr

WKR
All weather base - 145 merino
Down to 30* - kutana pants n hybrid jacket
Below 30* add strongfleece 260 hoodie and 200 merino base over 145 on legs.
If it gets real cold or I stop moving add super down.

Had all that layered plus a heavy vest for pheasants down to -25*, plus heavy headgear. Didnt sweat out and could move but it was still cold. Wind can cut through damn near everything. But in the woods out of the high winds that setup is comfy. Hybrid kutana jacket is the most underrated piece out there and it comes on every hunt.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Current second layer is an older Patagonia Capilene 4….been wanting to try the Peleton 240….just not sure if I will see much difference?

Kuiu Super Down Ultra Vest has been a game changer for me….never was a vest guy, but it’s worth it’s weight in gold and the ability to have freedom of movement in the arms is key for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
My favorite as of now is a Sitka traverse hoody. They don’t make it anymore. Right combination of a tight weave that cuts enough wind, but still is breathable. I got a heavyweight hoody because my wife constantly steals the traverse hoody, but it just has too much breathability and is a little fragile for use as an outer layer.

Im wearing the thing 90% of the time im in the field or around camp, it keeps kicking.

I want to try sitkas active jacket as a possible replacement, also want something for skiing that is just a hair more than the traverse.

jd1006

WKR
I’ll second the Kuiu Kutana Hybrid. It’s perfect for being active…maybe could use some pit zips. I pair with with the 240 vest and I’m good being active down to zero degrees.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rab Alpha Flash zip up is alpha direct insulation and full zip. I still wear my Rab Alpha Freak pullover with hood, but it's only half zip. Gulch Gear makes an alpha direct vest that looks pretty nice, been wanting to try one of them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
it's full zip w/ two zipped hand pockets, nice functional hood, the outer fabric breathes really well, but provides a modicum of wind/precip protection; no inner fabric- it's just "naked" Alpha Direct
@mtwarden are you speaking to the uninsulated (I think it's the MDW from arrowhead) or the insulated (MDWi)? Wondering which one you run.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden are you speaking to the uninsulated (I think it's the MDW from arrowhead) or the insulated (MDWi)? Wondering which one you run.

the Wi with Alpha Direct

I believe the "plain" W is some kind of grid fleece, maybe similar to the Core Heavyweight hoody????

Clarktar

WKR
Rab Alpha Flash zip up is alpha direct insulation and full zip. I still wear my Rab Alpha Freak pullover with hood, but it's only half zip. Gulch Gear makes an alpha direct vest that looks pretty nice, been wanting to try one of them.

I really would like to find an alpha freak in XL. Looks like a great piece!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
Its temp dependent for me, so it varies from the Firstlite Kiln on warmer spring or September hunts to the Patagonia R1 hoody/Sitka heavyweight for the majority of the temp range to a Patagonia R3 fleece or a Nanoair once the temps really drop. These are layered with a varying weight base and then a shell of some type on the outside. If im actively moving im often in just the base and the mid layer.

If I know Im not going to be moving and maybe just going out to a glassing knob for the day, I might substitute something to help cut wind like a Patagonia nano puff as a heavy weight mid layer, otherwise I prioritize breathability.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
the Wi with Alpha Direct

I believe the "plain" W is some kind of grid fleece, maybe similar to the Core Heavyweight hoody????

the Wi with Alpha Direct

I know you mentioned you picked this up at end of season and maybe haven't had a ton of time w/it, but how do you feel about it being worn while carrying a pack? For super chilly mornings (late season when first getting out to hunt in the am), do you think it'd be durable enough to wear with a pack? Obviously not trying to bust brush w/it, but just curious your opinion on the outer shell

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
the Wi with Alpha Direct

Also, thanks for the distinction on the "i" part! Didn't connect that the MDW was basically a grid fleece versus the "i" w/alpha direct

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you mentioned you picked this up at end of season and maybe haven't had a ton of time w/it, but how do you feel about it being worn while carrying a pack? For super chilly mornings (late season when first getting out to hunt in the am), do you think it'd be durable enough to wear with a pack? Obviously not trying to bust brush w/it, but just curious your opinion on the outer shell

I still was able to put probably close to a 100 miles on it during hunting season. No problems whatsoever with it w/ a pack on.

The outer fabric I feel hits just the right sweet spot as far as breathability and durability go. I wouldn't hesitate wearing it through thicker timber (being a wee bit careful). No way would I do the same thing with just straight Alpha Direct- it would be snag city without an outer layer. The outer layer while definitely on the breathable end of the scale, still provides some wind/precip protection- not a lot, but definitely more than an all Alpha Direct piece.

I've put probably another 200-ish miles on it hiking locally with it after hunting season. It's a solid piece.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Maybe something like this with Alpha Direct without zippers. The biggest reason I get cold is that my back is always soaked with sweat. @Formidilosus sent me the link below

woods89

WKR
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Maybe something like this with Alpha Direct without zippers. The biggest reason I get cold is that my back is always soaked with sweat. @Formidilosus sent me the link below

I saw this one awhile back. I like the idea but for me I'd like to see them do the same thing with a mid weight fleece, with zip out panels and a mesh backing. I think that Primaloft Gold insulation might be more than I want for hiking. My late season hunting is in CO so I can see the value for those hunting further north.

I also think the bino harness area is an issue as well. That's one of the reasons I use a Rick Young harness, as I want as little area as possible getting sweaty.

I was going to sew up a blaze orange vest last year that was mostly mesh but with a few strategic fleece panels, but of course I didn't ever find the time.

You don't have to tell me I'm picky....

jd1006

WKR
I get the same sweaty back and I will say that the Brinje Wool T-shirt base layer is the best thing I’v found to move the sweat away from my back and dry out. It’s a fishnet shirt and it looks goofy on its own, but underneath a second layer, it will absolutely move that moisture and dry. I paired it with the nano lite hoody from patagonia yesterday and after an hour hike with an 80lb pack, I had a dry back in 30 min.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really would like to find an alpha freak in XL. Looks like a great piece!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
It is, and I don't know what I'll do if I ever need to replace it. Waiting on the solid color Gulch Gear zippered hoodie with alpha direct to hit later this summer.