Your Second Layer?

Shraggs

WKR
Sweaty person too…

For early season I use Patagonia Nano airline hybrid. Believe this came before FL sawtooth. Base is fl lano and boxers. It’s a technical fleece lightly insulated except in the back. Really like it.

For late cold season I use one of two or both depending on how cold or active. FL kiln base.

First is ll bean knit (not merino!) commando sweater. The pours knit breaths way better than most anything yet very warm. I compared thi to the Sitka active jacket and in test the sweater was warmer and breasted better both let wind in. I will use the FL sawtooth if I’m less active or it’s windier simply cause merino wets out.

If it’s cold enough and a slower pace I layer the sweater under the sawtooth as this really moves sweat without wetting out right the combo.

This combo is going to be too warm for me above 20* F. I would like to try it with a less warm baselayer ( the Peleton 97 is very warm for the weight) as I think that would push the useful temps up. Above 20* I do fine with the 97 and a windshirt anyway. I think this is going to be quite useful for activity in the teens and single digits, though. I also would like to try it in warmer temps with just a synthetic short sleeve under.

It would have to be pretty damn cold for me to treat the 97 as a baselayer. I usually use mine as a mid over a light synthetic or merino base. That combo with a windshirt can get me to pretty cold temps when I’m moving,

woods89

WKR
It would have to be pretty damn cold for me to treat the 97 as a baselayer. I usually use mine as a mid over a light synthetic or merino base. That combo with a windshirt can get me to pretty cold temps when I’m moving,
It actually works pretty well as a baselayer. Dries extremely fast. For weather in the teens and 20s it's my baselayer of choice, and it and a windshirt are all I need if hiking, although as noted low teens and a little wind is where my vented mid layer come into play.

jd1006

WKR
Hiked for two hours in the Proton FL yesterday. Had just a merino fishnet baselayer underneath. It was 30 degrees with a light wind at the start, got to about 45 degrees at the end. I had 80lbs in the pack. I never felt cold once, I did get pretty sweaty from the inclines I was hiking, when stopped, I felt great. Both baselayer and jacket were dry after 30 minutes. The outer fabric feels delicate, and is SOOO quiet, but seems durable—no pilling where the pack was. I’ll keep updating.

Jimss

WKR
I haven't read through the posts but one of my favorite layers is a quiet cloth vest. It keeps my core warm while allowing freedom of movement and ventilation in arms. I can use it as an under layer in super cold conditions or as an outer when a bit warmer. It was a challenge finding a quiet cloth vest but there are a few available. Also nice having a vest with pockets for quick access to hunting supplies.

As a base layer I really like hoodies. I can pull the hood on and off depending upon the weather and how active I am. The hood also breaks super intense sunshine on head and neck.

10ringer

WKR
I haven't read through the posts but one of my favorite layers is a quiet cloth vest. It keeps my core warm while allowing freedom of movement and ventilation in arms. I can use it as an under layer in super cold conditions or as an outer when a bit warmer. It was a challenge finding a quiet cloth vest but there are a few available. Also nice having a vest with pockets for quick access to hunting supplies.

As a base layer I really like hoodies. I can pull the hood on and off depending upon the weather and how active I am. The hood also breaks super intense sunshine on head and neck.

Kryptek makes a grid fleece vest (cronos vest) that checks all your boxes. Very quiet, 3 pockets, light weight, breathes well and just warm enough to take the edge off lower temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10ringer

WKR
Yeah, if you think about it, a guy like me at 5' 8" 165 lbs puts on a layer, then puts on a 26" Kifaru, and now you have probably a good 30% of that layer smashed under that pack. Not only is that insulation not doing me any good, it's causing me problems as it's adding to detrimental perspiration.

I think this modification is a good step, but my wish list garment would be.....

-It needs a good hood.
-Exterior fabric like my BD Alpine Start.
-Mesh vent in the back.
-Alpha Direct in the sleeves, sides, and front. Insulation in the sides and front needs to stop just above the pack belt, with the face fabric extending down to typical height.
-Full zip for venting.

I think the Firstlite Sawtooth may check all your boxes. I played with the Sawtooth extensively this winter and now going into spring. It truly is one of the most versatile pieces of clothing. The insulation is only on your chest which is great for early morning hikes without over-sweating. When your heat begins to build up just unzip the front and dump the heat. I find this much more convenient than having to stop and Peele layers off. The fleece lined hand pockets are positioned high enough you can use with your pack belt in place. With a aerowool base layer topped with a sawtooth I found it to cover 10-50 degree temps while active and wearing a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed guys. I'm a lot closer to CHEAP. Years ago I found an army surplus coat liner that I wear under a wool shirt while walking. If it is early in the season I can skip it but otherwise it is there.

When I am riding I wear a heavy orange coat my daughter found in Minnesota for stand hunting I guess. For years I wore a heavy wool army surplus knee length coat I ordered. It has a split back for riding and really keeps your legs warm.

Since it is always cold, I wear heavy wool pants with elkhide batwing chaps to protect my legs. They protect me from limbs and snow through the worst of weather. Even when the horse falls down.

I know- I represent the one percent but it is another option.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden

I found a OR Ascendant about half off on clearance last night, so it's on the way to my house. Thoughts on this as a second layer?

it's a good mid-layer. My wife has one and uses it a lot. It utilizes Alpha direct on the interior teamed with pretty breathable outer fabric. Has a good hood too. Not sure why OR discontinued it (nor why Patagonia discontinued the Nano Air Light)????

woods89

WKR
it's a good mid-layer. My wife has one and uses it a lot. It utilizes Alpha direct on the interior teamed with pretty breathable outer fabric. Has a good hood too. Not sure why OR discontinued it (nor why Patagonia discontinued the Nano Air Light)????
I think the rule is that if it's really good expect it to be discontinued.

I'm looking forward to giving it some use during spring turkey season here.

From late October to December on hunts where I hike in the dark, get to a spot, glass for a few hours at daybreak then move and glass all day I pretty much have my BL figured out, But I am constantly changing what I take for a second layer. Most of the time this is my outer layer till I stop to glass. What are you guys using?

My second layer clothing .....

1). Polyester/synthetic/cotton blend pants;
2). Wool/synthetic/cotton blend button-down shirts.

woods89

WKR
Where did you find this? I’ve been looking for one.
A place called Enwild had 1 Large brown w/orange interior. I think I got the last one they had. I was worried it would be too big as I usually wear a medium but the fit is pretty trim, and it fits great. It showed up today, and I wore it for awhile glassing whitetails tonight. First impressions are quite favorable!

jrod_9

FNG
I'm a dyed in the wool hood guy :) I'm lost without a hood; I use them very frequently to regulate temps

I looked hard at the Kelvin Active jacket, but no hood was a non-starter for me- the reason I went with Active hoody, even though it was half sleeved
Does the kelvin active hoody perform the same as the kelvin active jacket? I would prefer the hood as well I think. But I’m a heavy sweater so if the active jacket wicks better I would deal without the hood. The specs seemed a little different on the website

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're different. The hoody use Alpha Direct w/ no interior fabric (but an outer fabric), the jacket uses both an interior and exterior fabric over Alpha insulation. The hoody because of the lack of an interior fabric, breathes better. It's possible the jacket is warmer (because of the interior fabric).

Definitely better wicking going on with the hoody.

jrod_9

FNG
They're different. The hoody use Alpha Direct w/ no interior fabric (but an outer fabric), the jacket uses both an interior and exterior fabric over Alpha insulation. The hoody because of the lack of an interior fabric, breathes better. It's possible the jacket is warmer (because of the interior fabric).

Definitely better wicking going on with the hoody.
So would the hoody not be as durable either I’m assuming? Or would you not worry much about it