Your longest pack out by foot?

Scoot

WKR
Go_deep, you questioning my manhood? Heck, the one I packed out was almost double that size! Took 4 trips!

rodney482

WKR
4.75 from spike camp to truck … the night prior 2 miles from kill site to spike camp

2001, I was 38 and my dad was 63. I killed a big 5x5 Roosevelt bull about 3.5 miles back in the Mt. Washington wilderness area in Oregon. Shot him late in the day, only had time to drop his guts and cut his head off. Glad I had a headlamp. It snowed that night so I wasn’t worried about spoilage.

It took us 3 round trips over the next two days to get him back to camp.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Just killed an elk this year 7 miles from the trailhead. Had a buddy to help a little, but he still had a tag to fill so I did most of the work.

Would have been 2 miles for a moose but some homies with a ATv helped us out. Gave them a half bottle of scotch. No shame here. Longest is 3.5 miles for 2 caribou and camp

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure how far my first moose was from the road , I shot a big bull and it took 4.5 hours to got a load to the road. We packed out 694lbs of boned put meat, it took my dad and I 4 days to get it home.

Some tough bastards here. I usually give up on packing out the trash out if it’s too heavy.
I can tell you what being a tough bastard will get you. I just under the ladt year, 4 different surgeries, both shoulders, one full knee replacement, and prostate surgery. I have my second knee replacement this December. I also have a collapsed disk in my low back, herdated on both sides. Call me stupid, but plan on continuing to hunt, but slow down a tad.

One tip though, don't carry the trash when you can burn it.

Sounds like you’re just stress testing your body and upgrading the failure points. The more I hear about joint replacement surgeries, the more convinced I am that we’re made up of semi replaceable parts. I’d like to get a cadaver spine from a dump truck to upgrade my ruptured l4-l5 and replace the herniated discs above it.

Burning trash is my preferred method of waste disposal, but my wife said no more fires inside the house.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t know what my longest ever was but last September I packed an entire bull about 1/4 mile on tundra. It was a lot of work even though the total distance only adds up to like 4-5 miles.

apohlo

FNG
Buddy and I had a successful Wyoming cow elk hunt last month. We both had tags, and put basecamp down at mile 10. I harvested a nice cow 2 miles further, and after 2.5 days to pack out, we turned around and went back in after another. 3 days later, we had another packed out and started the journey home! Totaled over 100 miles based on onx trails and my Garmin watch. (10x 10mi+ legs and various hunting over 6 days)

Couldn't have done it without good packs (EXO) and trekking poles. Went through a lot of moleskin to keep the feet happy...

c7e08dc161f637d68743b19f87c551cb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
My moose this year was about 2.5 miles out. I had planned to hunt an area closer to class 1 water to float out but I found a fat 55 incher on the hike in just as close to the car as it was to the water. I guess I also didn't really think I'd see a legal bull so I didn't think too much about doing it solo. But luck was there and I couldn't refuse the opportunity so I put him down. Turning it over amongst the alders and tussocks was a b!tch. No trees large enough to tie off on either. Honestly, after it's all in game bags, it's usually felt like it's a victory lap hiking out and I have pretty good energy. The hike out was 7 roundtrips to move about 750 lbs with the antlers. I'd still do it again, except I'd certainly have a partner for sure! On the bright side, that experience should make future moose hunts feel a bit easier.

This is epic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
13ish miles one way for sheep. Done in two ish trips, shuttled one load about halfway down and met a friend who came in to help, then we both went back up and got the rest then did a full trip out. Went and got the ram checked in then I went back in to my half way spot for the rest of my gear/meat. I guess the total would be 39ish miles over both days to get all my gear and meat out, not counting the initial trip in.
Makes for some good memories!

dtrkyman

WKR
I want to say it was 7.5 miles roughly, had a 16 mile morning. It was a Turkey though;)

Extrapale

WKR
A few come to mind.

Solo mature Muley and camp through a burn 4 miles.

Mostly solo raghorn 6 miles in 2 trips. Shot a whitetail completing trip one after I got my dad to help with the last mile.

My Sheep was 7 miles with 2000 feet over 1 mile stretch in the middle. 3 of us.

2 bucks this year about 5.5 trail miles. 2 of us plus old man for support. Easy as pie.

6 of us did 7 miles each way on a big 6x a few years ago. No problem.

We shot 2 bulls 7 miles from the road one morning. Cut them up and packed out the heads. Went back the next day from a different direction to check out trail for horses and stage them. Ended up moving them up towards original trail. Third day we did 28 miles on the horses to get them out. Could only get trailer within 7 miles of trailhead. Had to walk the saddle horses the last 3 or 4 miles because they were done. One of those trails where your ass takes a bite out of the seat in a few spots. Attached pic

Honestly the shorter distances years ago with shotty pack frames were worse. One tripped a big 6 point minus the head less than a mile with my brother one time. Mostly downhill but still damn near killed me. One tripping elk with 2 guys is dumb.
67284760662566cbd3bce2fdddb8b4e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
"Pack out" doesn't quite give the whole picture.

As a family wife, son and I had numerous 40-50 mile sheep hunts. 10 miles 'out' from any specific location wasn't uncommon. Given the AK NPS's propensity to be nosey, interfering dicks about anyone around 'their' hallowed ground, we hoofed it out!

rclouse79

WKR
I wonder what factor you would you have to multiply the average reported distance by to get the average true distance? My guess would be 0.60. All I know is I was stoked to have my 12 year old son with me to haul elk quarters. He definitely saved me a trip this year.