Your longest pack out by foot?

Extrapale

WKR
I wonder what factor you would you have to multiply the average reported distance by to get the average true distance? My guess would be 0.60. All I know is I was stoked to have my 12 year old son with me to haul elk quarters. He definitely saved me a trip this year.
What are you trying to say exactly?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

First bull ever I shot was 14 miles from the truck. Fortunately, I had 2 good friends with me, and we got it into the coolers in 1 trip. I then had to pack a case of beer back to camp, which was 8 miles in, as payment. Heaviest case of beer I ever carried.

I keep saying I will get them closer to the truck, but my 2 favorite camps are both roughly 7 miles in, so typical pack outs are about 8-9 miles. Have pulled several out from this deep during the September seasons, which have resulted in continuous laps that I count in hours, as I can't think about the miles after the 3rd lap... 67 hours non-stop was my longest.

Shortest elk pack out was 3.5 miles from the truck, also the best bull I've ever taken with my bow. Took me 6 round trips, and roughly 56 hours.

What are you trying to say exactly?

That you take X times .6 to get the actual distance traveled, where X=stated distance

Unless there's a hyperbolic, metaphoric, another big word or two, meaning buried in his statement about overzealously measured miles and the amount you actually did and wimpy this wimpy that...

Could be wrong though 🤔

tuffcity

WKR
My longest was sheep hunting with my wife, about 8 years ago. Didn't find legal rams and unfortunately she had a goat tag in her pocket. She ended up putting a good billy on the ground (with her muzzleloader) about a mile from camp. Hide was beautiful and thick so I caped it for a full body mount, deboned and hauled it back to camp. I'm not big on going back for a second load if I don't have to so a day later we loaded up camp and goat and headed back to the lake. GPS said a little over 10 km- so about 6 miles. There were 2 indicators the load was heavy, first I couldn't stand up with out assistance, and about 500 yards in to the pack out I could really feel it. The last mile or so was navigating blow down. There is no lighter feeling than dumping a pack at the end of the pack out- I felt like I could almost fly!

Got home a few days late and decided to weight the packs. I had close to 160 lbs and the wife packed out aroound 80.

2 Weeks later I was packing a 100 lbs of mule deer off a mountain for a buddy. That felt like SFA. lol

Figured I did pretty good for a 52 year old.

qN0F4Oj.jpg

FTMjJsb.jpg

LQzNlrm.jpg

Have done a couple of "taxing" sheep pack outs since but that was the longest.

rclouse79

WKR
If we only had a device that could measure the distance for us. Someday, the technology will be developed 😁.
Why look at your gps when you know what the distance feels like? All that matters these days are feelings, not facts.

S.Clancy

WKR
I wonder what factor you would you have to multiply the average reported distance by to get the average true distance? My guess would be 0.60. All I know is I was stoked to have my 12 year old son with me to haul elk quarters. He definitely saved me a trip this year.
Hahahaha, I know exactly what you are saying. A guy at work told me his elk packout was 4 miles. I was like "Felt like 4 miles or actually 4 miles?". That said, all of our packouts we track via GPS. That's how I know it took 2 hrs to walk just over 2.5 miles last weekend on my bull. That's a pitiful pace.

Extrapale

WKR
A decent percentage of people embellish their accomplishments when bragging online to people they don’t know.
It's pretty easy to figure out with modern mapping tools. Especially if you are on a trail that onx has distance labels available.

Just because you don't pack that far does not mean everyone on this thread is lying, and over estimating their effort by 40% on average.

Extrapale

WKR
Why look at your gps when you know what the distance feels like? All that matters these days are feelings, not facts.
Apparently your feels are all that matter. You feel everyone is lying here to impress people, or they are too stupid to use a map or GPS to measure distance.

rclouse79

WKR
It's pretty easy to figure out with modern mapping tools. Especially if you are on a trail that onx has distance labels available.

Just because you don't pack that far does not mean everyone on this thread is lying, and over estimating their effort by 40% on average.

I never said everyone was lying. I ventured a guess about the AVERAGE reported distance and that a DECENT percentage embellish. Sorry my hypothesis got your undies in such a bunch. I am relieved that your internet bragging is backed up with verified gps data.

This thread makes me think I need to get better at finding elk close to the truck... :p

Also, if I am measuring distance based on feelings, rather than GPS data tracking, the 2 spots I hunt where the last 1/4 mile is an uphill climb back to the trailhead, at a minor incline, but FEELS like 10 miles with 100+lbs on my back.... Then my longest pack out has to be at least 100 miles.... :p

Clarktar

WKR
My longest was sheep hunting with my wife, about 8 years ago. Didn't find legal rams and unfortunately she had a goat tag in her pocket. She ended up putting a good billy on the ground (with her muzzleloader) about a mile from camp. Hide was beautiful and thick so I caped it for a full body mount, deboned and hauled it back to camp. I'm not big on going back for a second load if I don't have to so a day later we loaded up camp and goat and headed back to the lake. GPS said a little over 10 km- so about 6 miles. There were 2 indicators the load was heavy, first I couldn't stand up with out assistance, and about 500 yards in to the pack out I could really feel it. The last mile or so was navigating blow down. There is no lighter feeling than dumping a pack at the end of the pack out- I felt like I could almost fly!

Got home a few days late and decided to weight the packs. I had close to 160 lbs and the wife packed out aroound 80.

2 Weeks later I was packing a 100 lbs of mule deer off a mountain for a buddy. That felt like SFA. lol

Figured I did pretty good for a 52 year old.

qN0F4Oj.jpg

FTMjJsb.jpg

LQzNlrm.jpg

Have done a couple of "taxing" sheep pack outs since but that was the longest.
That's damn impressive. Must be that northern water you're drinking!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
Lotsa people think that packin out is not the way to go and some of those are game wardens..but I am not draggin anymore deer.
Same ... I hunt deer in the Adirondacks and dragged a buck (~145lbs) by myself about 1.5 miles through some nasty hemlock swamps and deadfall, creeks, and up and over some small knobs. Never again. That was just to get him to the trail. I walked out another 2 miles to get help. Shot him a little before noon, he was hanging at camp by 10pm. All told, I think I had 9 miles in that day.

There are some young kids in the camp now and they want to drag, but if I'm up there solo or with another person, it's getting cut up and carried. The difference in mentality from western hunters and eastern is hilarious. I've talked to guys out west who cut up a deer and carry it out of habit no matter how close to the truck it is.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail, 2 mile drag at night thru 2' of snow with a pack of coyotes trailing me.... :cry:
This is exactly the trip that made me start quartering and packing out deer. My whitetail was 1.9 miles through fairly thick woods. A 200lb deer should not be dragged that far....ever. I learned my lesson and now I pack out anything over 500 yards. Coyotes would certainly make it interesting too.