Your longest pack out by foot?

TSAMP

WKR
20191128_175055.jpg
3 miles with a lone wolf as a frame and cheap shoulder straps with a button buck tethered to it along with 4 sticks.

That or 12 miles total trip of caribou in the tundra. I think the tundra takes the cake.

ljalberta

WKR
Had a fun one this year hauling out sheep that was a little over 38 miles one way to the quad. Previously the longest I had packed out an animal personally was 14 miles. Definitely easier ways to kill an animal, but I never claimed to be a smart man.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Not my packout, one of the guys we now pack in.

Guy packs his camp in 11 miles on foot. Shoots his bull a mile from camp opening morning. Took the next four days of the season to pack his bull and camp out. 22 miles round trip, from camp. He’s paid us since then to pack his camp in and his elk out. Another member on this forum can verify the accuracy of this because they ran in to him at the trailhead on his last trip out.

Same guy can walk to his drop sight faster than I can ride my horse. He wants it, and earns it every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.5 miles one way for bull elk. Thankfully not a lot of vertical. Unfortunately all but one of my elk has been done solo. I am a toothpick 5'10 145 so it's usually 4-5 trips.
Worst was AZ Buffalo but that was just quantity of trips. Short but way too heavy.

My moose this year was about 2.5 miles out. I had planned to hunt an area closer to class 1 water to float out but I found a fat 55 incher on the hike in just as close to the car as it was to the water. I guess I also didn't really think I'd see a legal bull so I didn't think too much about doing it solo. But luck was there and I couldn't refuse the opportunity so I put him down. Turning it over amongst the alders and tussocks was a b!tch. No trees large enough to tie off on either. Honestly, after it's all in game bags, it's usually felt like it's a victory lap hiking out and I have pretty good energy. The hike out was 7 roundtrips to move about 750 lbs with the antlers. I'd still do it again, except I'd certainly have a partner for sure! On the bright side, that experience should make future moose hunts feel a bit easier.

Tad over 14 miles with a sheep on my back and two brutal saddle climbs. One of the climbs we did twice to split the load.

This year my buddy shot a moose exactly at the tree I told him was the max distance - 0.5 mile. Had to walk back to the tent after he was shot to get kill kits and took light loads - all totaled 6 trips. Started cutting a bit before noon and we had last load at the tent at 7pm. 6 crow miles on that one but had to walk around a labyrinth of tundra swamps so probably was closer to 8.

life would be much easier if I was a badass tough guy instead of a desk jockey jelly roll.

TheGDog

WKR
3 x 6 = 18mi, same day. And woo did my feet feel that!

I'd guess about a 180-200 Lbs buck. 6 miles in... get lucky in the morning, real hot like 90F at 8:30a, so immediately debone and pack him out. Muscles, head, hide. Left the tent and bag and some minor stuff (one of them being my guide lid, which had my headlamp in it, important point for later) to shed some weight for the pack-out. Sun was brutal. MULTIPLE stops to let out heat!

Get to truck, meat in cooler, it's stupid hot, so I figure wait to near sundown to begin going back in for tent, so not killing myself. Finally sun low enough, time to go, then see 7 MtnLions (3 adult-sized 4 juveniles) at base of waterfall that's dried up ATM.

Seriously considered going home and coming back later for that stuff. But tents are expensive so I press on along trail that's like 60yds above them. Top of waterfall, approaching last light, think I see coyote, then the head with big ears rises up beside. It's a Mama Doe and her fawn! Oh OK, that's why MtnLions down there, probably waiting for sundown to stalk their dinner! "C-Ya Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!". Check my 6 like every 30 seconds, on high alert.

As I proceed, night darkens, pull out the other light I did have on me, the backup hand flashlight. About a mile in... flashlight starts flickering. Fearing it's gonna die on me, I cut it to conserve the power. Cannot tell you the dread about cutting the light after just passing 7 preds! Eek. No bueno.

Was half-moon night, so could kinda see the trial line mostly ok enough. So instead quickly turned on the light just to look into the darker turn-ins along the trail of this side-hilling ridge trail.

Finally back to tent, rapidly search for the headlamp and put on! Break down the tent, pack the rest of the stuff into my pack all bloodied up with deer blood.

got back to truck around 10-something, after change and spit-bath driving out 11:30p.

ON the drive out thought I saw up ahead where a yote hopped into the road, sped-up to confirm, it was! The road has barbed wire fencing on both sides thru this stretch. I speed up to see if I can make him run faster! Get him up to like 40mph before he finally reaches an area where he can divert and dart thru the fence and off the road.

Was a fun ending to a rough day.

Fullfan

WKR
5 miles in killed two bulls. Three guys came out w meat on our backs. Total of 10 miles that day. Next morning 5 miles in 5 miles out w meat, 5 miles back in and 5 miles back out w the rest. Needless to say we were junk for the next 3-4 days. 2 miles of this was on a road that was gated. Now a game cart goes w us every year.

fatlander

WKR
Bull elk. Hair over 7 miles, 2100 feet of elevation gain, 110# pack, weighed at the butcher. I had a bone in hind quarter and his skull.

4 of us were packing so it was only one trip. The weights were 110# x2, 96#, and 85#. It was absolutely brutal. Took us about 8 hours, by the time we got back from the butcher and post pack out breakfast we’d been awake for 36 hours.

Last edited:
I’ve packed a whitetail right at a mile. It was up and down a couple steep hollows and my pack weighed 89lbs. I know y’all are probably laughing but I’m only 5’4” 145lbs. Give me a break.

S.Clancy

WKR
We've packed out a number of elk from 5-7 miles. Max daily mileage and elevation was just over 15 miles and 4000'+ gain, 10miles of that and 2500-2800' was with ~80lbs. I was tired. Very, very tired.

My longest were a bull elk at about four miles with two guys making two trips.

And another where we gained 2000+ feet in a mile-ish, then another couple of miles. That took three trips over as many days for two guys.