your good (or not so good) customer service interactions of late

2ski

WKR
Man I'm not sure that's a customer service issue if it wasn't a defect and it was caused by the customer
Maybe I'm wrong. I know there are a few companies that do a no fault warranty but that seems a bit much to ask a store to replace when the damage was caused other than a defect. Kinda like buying a vehicle driving down the road crashing it and expecting a new one. I'd contact Costa maybe they can help.
I'm with you. It's like the people that keep exchanging darn tough socks over and over so they never have to buy a nee pair. I think that just goes against the spirit if the warranty.

CB4

WKR
Scheels is great. My wife bought me a pair of shoes in store and when she got home I notice the material had a hole. Scheels shipped me a new pair with a return sticker to send the other pair back. All because we live an hour from the actual store. I have bought a lot from there over the years and never regret giving them business.

Gas Bowstrings - I had very poor experience with their customer service. Mislead multiple times on lead times and tried cancelling my ordered after it was delayed over 6 weeks from my initial date. I kept the strings and they are on my bow now, they are a great product but CS was not good.

S&S is another great one that always answers questions via email or phone almost instantly.

Blackovis/Camofire have been great to work with on exchanges for boot sizes and delayed orders.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Blackovis. Every. Single. Time. I have called several times in the last two plus years and I always have a good conversation and competent feedback to my questions. I try to buy there or Camofire whenever practical. Most recent call in mid-March.

Savage Arms. Each time fast, courteous and generally helpful. Most recent call in February.

grimm158

FNG
Scheels is great. My wife bought me a pair of shoes in store and when she got home I notice the material had a hole. Scheels shipped me a new pair with a return sticker to send the other pair back. All because we live an hour from the actual store. I have bought a lot from there over the years and never regret giving them business.

Gas Bowstrings - I had very poor experience with their customer service. Mislead multiple times on lead times and tried cancelling my ordered after it was delayed over 6 weeks from my initial date. I kept the strings and they are on my bow now, they are a great product but CS was not good.

S&S is another great one that always answers questions via email or phone almost instantly.

Blackovis/Camofire have been great to work with on exchanges for boot sizes and delayed orders.
We're getting a Scheels here in ID and I can't wait to check it out. It looks like it's going to be awesome.

I can't think of anything hobby related that's stood out to me as being bad customer service lately but I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product again. They have the worst customer service of any business I've ever dealt with and do nothing to stand by their products.

todde1792

FNG
I've generally heard good things about Vortex, and after this week I can confirm. My tripod was in pretty sour shape, the final straw was when one of the legs started slipping all the way out of the housing. I got a hold of Vortex and sent it out last week. This leg issue started last spring. I'm complacent and didn't want to be without, so in my classic nature I waited until last minute (about two weeks before bear opener.) I mentioned to the service dept. that I hadn't been without the darn thing for a handful of years and I would miss having it but knew it was my own fault for being so last minute. Well now, let me tell you.. not only did they get it repaired back to damn near new, they two day shipped it so I wouldn't be without and also sent a ball cap and decal. If that's not quality warranty work then I don't know what is.

Recently tried to have Leupold dismantle, clean and refill my 1980's era 1-4x rifle scope, but they said they would not be able to do that. Instead, they sent a not-so-adequate new fangled replacement in 1.5-4x, with built-in ranging hashmarks and a ranging circle in the center, and thick duplexes. Absolutely worthless. Not happy!

Last edited:

cams

FNG
GoHunt gear shop. Awesome customer service. Definitely worth the trip if your in Vegas. They’ll do what they can to give you a better price. They gave me the sale price even a week after the sale was over.

Voyageur

WKR
Hill People Gear
My Original Kit Bag is at least 10 years old and gets used hard. The elastic keeper loops had lost their elasticity and I contacted HPG about purchasing new ones. They asked me what color and a couple days later a new set showed up in the mail no charge.

CRJR45

WKR
RCBS , I broke two decapping pins , totally my fault , and they replaced both , no charge , no questions asked .
I told them it was my fault , it didn't matter to them .

Started calling Customer service last month about 3 different issues from this past fall that I've ignored since hunting season ended.

Promaster - I had bolt shear off on the tension adjuster of my tri-pod head due to vibration from riding in the basket of my quad (think spotter attached and in the basket strapped down with tripod hanging loose off the front). -- sent a picture, no questions asked new bolt and bolt handle in 3 days. Great experience

Sig -- BDX range finder caused loads of frustration after load development last year so I just put it down and didn't waste my time with it. Assumed user error. Re-learend how to use it and quickly realized not only was windage clearly wrong but my expected speeds were too high at distance (sometimes higher than MV) and KE was far too low. Called sig, got a real person. Tried a software and firmware update. No dice. "okay, emailing you a label send it back, we'll send you a new one" Great experience

Kimber -- opposite experience. I have a mountain rifle with a feeding issue. It's always been that way. I know I know... 'controlled feed.' I wouldn't say the customer service was terrible, but it for sure wasn't good. I wasn't overly mad afte 2 calls and 2 emails but I'm selling the gun or dealing with the issue as is and I won't buy Kimber anymore.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Started calling Customer service last month about 3 different issues from this past fall that I've ignored since hunting season ended.

Promaster - I had bolt shear off on the tension adjuster of my tri-pod head due to vibration from riding in the basket of my quad Think spotter attached and in the basket strapped down with tripod hanging loose off the front). -- sent a picture, no questions asked new bolt and bolt handle in 3 days. Great experience

Sig -- BDX range finder caused loads of frustration after load development last year so I just put it down and didn't waste my time with it. Assumed user error. Re-learend how to use it and quickly realized not only was windage clearly wrong but my expected speeds were too high at distance (sometimes higher than MV) and KE was far too low. Called sig, got a real person. Tried a software and firmware update. No dice. "okay, emailing you a label send it back, we'll send you a new one" Great experience

Kimber -- opposite experience. I have a mountain rifle with a feeding issue. It's always been that way. I know I know... 'controlled feed.' I wouldn't say the customer service was terrible, but it for sure wasn't good. I wasn't overly mad afte 2 calls and 2 emails but I'm selling the gun or dealing with the issue as is and I won't buy Kimber anymore.

CRF rifles have a narrow window for perfect operation. The original M98 was called a “system 98” for a very good reason - it is a series of interconnected steps reliant on proper physical configuration of the mag box, feed rails, ramp, bolt face, extractor, ejector etc. if they thought they could solve or identify an issue on a CRF rifle over the phone they are nuts. And if they didn’t tell you to just send it back they’ are doubly so…

CRF rifles have a narrow window for perfect operation. The original M98 was called a “system 98” for a very good reason - it is a series of interconnected steps reliant on proper physical configuration of the mag box, feed rails, ramp, bolt face, extractor, ejector etc. if they thought they could solve or identify an issue on a CRF rifle over the phone they are nuts. And if they didn’t tell you to just send it back they’ are doubly so…
In fairness, I think they could have fixed it with a new mag. I actually had a friend have the same problem (literally identical feeding issue). He sent the mag back. They sent him a new one and it solved the problem. After the first call and email, I thought that is what they were going to do for me. Then after the next email was ignored, on my second call I was told they had responded with I needed to send the rifle back on my dime. One, it wasn't true, and two I wasn't paying to ship the gun. As I said, it wasn't a terrible experience but it wasn't good and I was frustrated already so just told them I'll take my business elsewhere.

Things didn't start great when the first thing they said well 'it's supposed to work like that, its a controlled feed.' -- 'okay, you're right. I can rack the bolt if I slam it and I've used it like that for ~600 rounds, and I know my wife is small, but she physically can't. I don't think that's normal'

ODB

WKR
In fairness, I think they could have fixed it with a new mag. I actually had a friend have the same problem (literally identical feeding issue). He sent the mag back. They sent him a new one and it solved the problem. After the first call and email, I thought that is what they were going to do for me. Then after the next email was ignored, on my second call I was told they had responded with I needed to send the rifle back on my dime. One, it wasn't true, and two I wasn't paying to ship the gun. As I said, it wasn't a terrible experience but it wasn't good and I was frustrated already so just told them I'll take my business elsewhere.

Yeah. As i say they are tricky. A properly dimensioned mag box is paramount to the system. It would have been interesting to really compare your mag box and your friends. Early mauser actions had at LEAST 27 different configurations of mag box dimensions - they were cartridge specific. Most Modern rifle manufacturers (post 64 Winchester included) have shrunk rhis to a handful to try to make fewer sizes fit all. Of course this is all due to $$$.

In any case, glad you got it sorted out.

Just had a great interaction with Dialed Archery. I needed an item to be expedited and they took great care of me. Super responsive.

If the Arxos I ordered shoots as well as I am hoping, I’ll be supporting this brand in the future for sure.

kpk

WKR
Just contacted Klymit about a leaking Double V pad. They had me send in a couple pictures and they're shipping me a new one.

S-3 ranch

WKR
My new safari boot purchase was a joke , hell Zimbabwean customer service is a joke
“”
Good Morning Mr Stein

I am sorry to hear that the shoes are to narrow. The Kudu leather stretches fast and well. Please have them stretched, I hope that you will be able to enjoy them as much as all our customers do.

Thank you for your advice , I will advise my boss.””