You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

tony

WKR
Maybe me, I mentioned them. So you ordered and never got it?
I think they are cool, not sure they are that cool for the price.
Read on the ranger form I frequent there were/ are some issues with wiring and leaking around the joints. I'll probably never get one but I do like the looks

CCH

WKR
Maybe me, I mentioned them. So you ordered and never got it?
I think they are cool, not sure they are that cool for the price.
Read on the ranger form I frequent there were/ are some issues with wiring and leaking around the joints. I'll probably never get one but I do like the looks
Gave up on it. It was ordered in August and supposed to come in this month, but the dealer said there was no eta at this point. Read reports of leaking and QC problems upon delivery. All those cool modular options are tougher to get than the cap itself.

Probably will have the A.R.E. In a month or less. Could have had a Leer in two weeks, but no HD option.

I chose a different route, I like to stand up when in my vehicle's shelter and not carry the weight of a shell.

j_volt

WKR
I have same truck, which topper you go with? Any pictures?

ARE - I wasn’t looking for a specific brand, just a good deal. I actually wasn’t looking for the flip up windows either, but found a deal on this style and fell in love. No complaints besides rear shocks (or whatever you call them) already not working in sub 40 degrees. Pics from today while unpacking from a western Kansas pheasant hunt. My dad has ran camper shells for years, and he commented again today how convenient the flip up windows are.

EB7EE7FC-F5D7-4B0E-AE81-47D040103799.jpegBD2213E0-093D-491E-AEDC-4725248FD9E8.jpeg

def90

WKR
I have an old Dodge Dakota with the full 6ft bed that I use for work and have a commercial topper on it with the doors on the sides that lift open and the double back doors. The topper is tall enough that you can easily sit up inside of it.

When I first got it I used it camping a few times and it was great. Could lay out a regular size inflatable bed in the back and prop the side doors open and sleep all night. Now the truck is so full of supplies and tools that there is no way I'm emptying it out to go camping but have seriously thought about getting a similar truck with a topper when my Wrangler finally needs to be replaced.

CCH

WKR
This was not a helpful thread. My youngest is turning 21 tomorrow. He got recovery boards, a tow strap and a whole bunch more as gifts. However, with this in mind -- along with my own experiences, we got talking about a topper for his 2008 Dodge Dakota. Miraculously found a couple rough ones on FB Marketplace. We'll see how it pans out, but we may help him get one so he can continue honing his bed lining skills to make one complement his truck.

Dos XX

WKR
I have 2 bird dogs. The camper shell is great when hunting with them. Also, I really like the windoors. I have a decked system, which is 13" tall. This makes the windoors even more useful as it makes everything you put in the back easier to reach through a windoor.

Don’t get side sliding. You can vent out cab window. Fold out windows saves a lot of cussing when something rolls to the front
In mosquito country you need screened windows. I like the sliding side windows for better ventilation plus screening.

TXHunt

FNG
36d1342fe6035bb95e39c8c07741675a.jpg

Can’t imagine going back to a truck without one. Put the swing cases in on both sides for tool/crap organizers. Use the Beaver Sled the bull is traveling in for various hunting/utility purposes. Have an ARE V series cap with single LED light strip and sliding vented pet windows. Have slept in it a few times when hunting locally. I’d say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How well does that sled work for dragging the head and meat out thru snow? Better than just packing it if your only looking at a half mile?

How well does that sled work for dragging the head and meat out thru snow? Better than just packing it if your only looking at a half mile?
I'm sure that it would work great. I use the sled duck hunting too as it floats. The pic is confusing though. We just loaded head and bagged, boned-out meat in the sled to mitigate a potential bloody mess. We certainly could have used it to pull the meat out. Honestly might have been easier, but there was a pretty steep slope down to the road so the sled might have gotten out of control.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I would never own a truck without one. I’m going to upgrade to a popup truck topper with a bed one day but right now I’m happy. IMG_7480.jpeg

Ehunter

FNG
Might be a dumb question but those of you that sleep in your camper shell - is your bed longer than you? I’m 6’4” wondering if I could comfortably sleep diagonally in my F-150 short bed.
I have a 5ft toyota tacoma and use a tent over the back I can sleep. In it . By lowering the tail gate I am 6ft.

Seems like I’m the only one who didn’t like having a topper. I had one on my Tacoma for one hunting season. The topper was always dirty and made it nearly impossible to see out the back of the truck unless I cleaned it everyday. It also prevented me from doing actual truck stuff when not hunting. It also bogged down the Tacoma pretty bad, was super noticeable. I’m sure a full size wouldn’t be as bad though. Having the storage space was nice, but it’s still not great for theft prevention. I unfortunately have to live near the city and a diamondback cover was a way more secure method for storing things in the bed of the truck when I have to park in an urban setting. If I had the room, I’d probably run the Diamondback cover year around except for hunting and slap an old cap for the few weeks of season.

I would never own a truck without one. I’m going to upgrade to a popup truck topper with a bed one day but right now I’m happy. View attachment 594051
This is a really clean setup, nice that you can store tall stuff in the middle. I built mine so I could slide some uniform size bins underneath and put a queen size topper on a plywood cover... convenient but I didn't leave enough space up top to move around too much - also the "nice" foam freezes solid.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
This is a really clean setup, nice that you can store tall stuff in the middle. I built mine so I could slide some uniform size bins underneath and put a queen size topper on a plywood cover... convenient but I didn't leave enough space up top to move around too much - also the "nice" foam freezes solid.
I can also do this. It’s pretty modular.

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 72

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
High top ARE with a tool box insert and a sliding window on my z-71 with 78" bed. The canopy cost about as much as my truck is worth. Best choice I ever made.

Last edited: