Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
The cleaning does suck, but a regular pan does hold heat or get as high in temp as cast iron. Stainless is also not non-stick like a seasoned cast iron, and a true non-stick won't brown protein like cast Iron. That all being said I usually grab the easy clean also unless it's a nice expensive steak, then it's always cast Iron.
Exactly. Steaks on a bbq are great but I’m growing to prefer this method. Anyone who hasn’t cooked a steak on searing hot cast iron is missing out. Bring steak to room temp, kosher salt, white hot cast iron, flip / flip. Perfect. Recall Alton Brown did a detailed show on this method if you care to google it.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Everybody should check out chain mail. Been working since about 300 BC ... Had a resurgence in the 1980's.

Swamp Fox

WKR
The cleaning does suck, but a regular pan does hold heat or get as high in temp as cast iron. Stainless is also not non-stick like a seasoned cast iron, and a true non-stick won't brown protein like cast Iron. That all being said I usually grab the easy clean also unless it's a nice expensive steak, then it's always cast Iron.
Swish it out an dry .... Done. Light scrub if you have the tools handy.

Cleaning routine has never been a drawback of cast iron.

A DeBuyer carbon steel pan is better-quality and will cook circles around that ridiculous thing at a fraction of the cost. Why anyone would buy a fancy cast-iron pan is beyond me.

CJohnson

WKR
1. Someone at meateater marketing probably lost their job for not thinking of this first.

2. If you own first lite camo, you shouldn't comment on the practicality of buying a $400 cast iron pan.

3. I didn't realize cast iron was hard to clean? When you're done cooking, you stick it under a stream of water and wipe out with a paper towel.

4. I recommend using one of the small pneumatic sanders to make any finish modifications to currently owned cookware. It's a little easier to manipulate into the small areas than a large palm sander.

5. Yeti does make good coolers and cups. Several of my customers give out the cups, mugs, and occasionally coolers for appreciation gifts and I use the heck out of them. Not sure I would pay to replace them though if they went missing.

6. It's crazy the things I would never know existed if it weren't for this website.

Exactly. Steaks on a bbq are great but I’m growing to prefer this method. Anyone who hasn’t cooked a steak on searing hot cast iron is missing out. Bring steak to room temp, kosher salt, white hot cast iron, flip / flip. Perfect. Recall Alton Brown did a detailed show on this method if you care to google it.
I've also switched to cooking steaks on a cast iron. While I haven't finished my quest for the perfect steak... Cast iron cooked ones are the best ones I've achieved.

Gerald.g6

FNG
There will be people that buy it. That’s what I don’t understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CMP70306

WKR
you caught me before my ninja edit to add PA... but agreed. I suppose this is part of the problem we created with shipping manufacturing overseas over the last few decades/some might argue the price to bring it back? i have no idea how much griswold/lodge cost back in the day/what the"inflation adjusted" prices would be, but it does seem crazy. "100 year guarantee" from a company thats been in business less than 10 years is some clever marketing, i'll have to give them that.

It’s a big hunk of cast iron, if you don’t leave it outside in the elements or specifically destroy it there’s no way it won’t last 100 years.

I've also switched to cooking steaks on a cast iron. While I haven't finished my quest for the perfect steak... Cast iron cooked ones are the best ones I've achieved.
Let the steak sit at room temp for one hour. Pat dry and right before it goes on add your Montreal steak seasoning.

Cast iron in the stove during the warm up to 450. Place pan on burner over med-hi and put down some beef tallow. Sear for 30 seconds, flip another 30 seconds then into the oven for 3-4 min. Remve and flip then back in until its cooked the way you like it.

My wife and I have been using this for the past few months and every steak is out of this world. I have paid $100 for a steak dinner and never had one as good as this method delivers. It's very easy to hit target temps this way which is something I used to struggle with when going all stove top.

mlgc20

WKR
Thats for all the brand yuppies, haunt yard sales and antique shops, buy a Griswald it might set you back 50 dollars but will be well seasoned and last your life time.
This right here. I inherited my great grandmother's Griswold. I think it's from 1907. Use it almost every day.

Sous vide and reverse sear on cast iron. Perfect steak.
Absolutely. I like to use a rectangular griddle; this one matches the size of the big elements on my induction top and is also fantastic on an outdoor charcoal or gas grill. Only cost about fifty bucks, too!
kitchen-craft-japansk-teppanyaki-grill-wftyaki-45744-1.jpg
Sous-vide is generally my go-to before final searing on cast iron or carbon steel, but I recently tried this cold-sear method and I gotta say that I was pretty surprised at how great is was, despite my initial skepticism:

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
I have a decent little collection of griswold and Wagner cast iron that I’ve found at flea markets and yard sales. I may have that in 8 pans.

Hnthrdr

WKR
All you laughing about a 400 dollar pan I suggest you never go to le cruset, those enameled pots and pans will blow your mind. But if my wife fancy cook wear who am I to argue. She doesn’t give me too much grief for 2k rifles, 1k suppressors and I think they seem the same to her as high dollar pots seem to me haha