Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

I really like my 14” field. They are expensive, but extremely smooth and great fit and finish. I have a few nice cast iron pieces and while I do appreciate that lodge is cheap i like the nice stuff, especially on a lifetime purchase.

Still 150$ less than this though

Thats for all the brand yuppies, haunt yard sales and antique shops, buy a Griswald it might set you back 50 dollars but will be well seasoned and last your life time.

TxxAgg

WKR
I have a Lodge I sanded and seasoned. It's a heavy sob but pretty good. I was gifted a Butter Pat that is absolutely awesome. Together, they're still half the price of a yeti.

Mt Al

WKR
WTF?? That's crazy even for them, and they'll still sell because of the name.

There's charging a premium for better solutions - then slapping on the "we got us a brand!" increase. We all pay it.

This is almost customer/follower abuse and people will line up and bend over.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A Chinese Skillet for $400 dollars? You can get a US made honed top of the line Smithy for $240 and I thought that was insane.

MicrosoftTeams-image_50.jpg

Unpopular opinion I’m sure but cast iron is a waste of time. I won’t own a pan I can’t just rinse off and throw in the dishwasher.

I’d rather what I’m cooking taste like the ingredients in the dish not be depended on how I seasoned a pan.

Lazy I guess

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unpopular opinion I’m sure but cast iron is a waste of time. I won’t own a pan I can’t just rinse off and throw in the dishwasher.

I’d rather what I’m cooking taste like the ingredients in the dish not be depended on how I seasoned a pan.

Lazy I guess
The cleaning does suck, but a regular pan does hold heat or get as high in temp as cast iron. Stainless is also not non-stick like a seasoned cast iron, and a true non-stick won't brown protein like cast Iron. That all being said I usually grab the easy clean also unless it's a nice expensive steak, then it's always cast Iron.

CCooper

WKR
I have a set of Wagner skillets and drop basters that are well over 100 years old and will go at least that much longer at least with proper care. I have been hunting a set of muffin pans to round out the set. I don’t own a single dishwasher safe pan including the caphalon non- stick.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
A Chinese Skillet for $400 dollars? You can get a US made honed top of the line Smithy for $240 and I thought that was insane.

View attachment 564545
its made in Pennsylvania/Maryland apparently (butter pat industries, i didn't know they existed until this thread) but still. 400 for a skillet is a bit... much. even as a MD resident that likes supporting local businesses

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
its made in Maryland apparently (butter pat industries, i didn't know they existed until this thread) but still. 400 for a skillet is a bit... much. even as a MD resident that likes supporting local businesses
Guess that makes it a little better, but man.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Guess that makes it a little better, but man.
you caught me before my ninja edit to add PA... but agreed. I suppose this is part of the problem we created with shipping manufacturing overseas over the last few decades/some might argue the price to bring it back? i have no idea how much griswold/lodge cost back in the day/what the"inflation adjusted" prices would be, but it does seem crazy. "100 year guarantee" from a company thats been in business less than 10 years is some clever marketing, i'll have to give them that.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I use to clean my cast iron is kosher salt, and maybe a little canola oil. If something is really stuck on surface, I will lightly use chain mail.
Agreed. I prefer ice cream salt, but minor difference. Never heard of chain mail but makes sense. Gonna investigate that.