Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

I am not say that isn’t a stupid price because it is. There are levels to cast iron quality though. As has been hinted at above it comes down to smoothness of the surface which is partly a reflection of quality of the materials and casting and partly how much grinding and polishing is done to make the final product. A buddy had a $200 one he bought at Williams Sonoma or some where and it was slicker feeling than my Wally World lodge but I am not sure there was much else different about it other than less food stickiness.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have 5, and two dutch ovens. all of which belong to my grandma. She was born in 1887. My mom got them when granny passed. I'm not sure when she got them. Talk about well seasoned. Biggest is 14", I'm not sure you can even get them that big anymore.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lodges are nice but they need the rough edges taken down and the cooking surface isn't real smooth. 20-30 minutes will smooth them right out.
Care to share more? So on a brand new cast iron, I want to take down the coating/top layer and make it smooth? I have a lodge, bought new and seasoned it, but never sanded it or anything. Thanks

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you must spend outrageous money on a cast iron skillet, at least buy a hand forged one from Riley Kirkpatrick at Kirkpatrick forge. His are beautiful, and he hand forges them in small batches in Oregon. And he's a hunter. Support small business.
But, But, you won't have the Yeti name. what will all your yuppy friends say?

Colterw

FNG
Care to share more? So on a brand new cast iron, I want to take down the coating/top layer and make it smooth? I have a lodge, bought new and seasoned it, but never sanded it or anything. Thanks
With my lodge I took a palm sander to the inside using 120 then 200 grit. I also used a file to knock down the casting seam on the handle. I seasoned with avacodo oil when i was done. It is a pleasure to use.

Swamp Fox

WKR
This is what makes America great.
Carnival barking? ----

At some point you have to let the carnies and the marks fight it out. THAT's what makes America great.
They make fun of Roksliders for buying custom rifles on the Yeti forum.
If I were so fascinated by a box made to hold some ice as they are, I wouldn't understand the difference either.

; )

hunterjmj

WKR
First I take a sanding wheel on my grinder to take off the edges from forging. It's done but the sanding wheel really cleans it up. Then I take the sanding wheel to the cooking surface then, 80 grit, 150 grit then 200. It creates a super smooth surface. I then season it with Grape seed oil 2-3 times through the day on my bbq.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Perfect for Father's Day, get your order in quick!

View attachment 564480
Not sure this is a big deal or out of touch with the trends. Guys on here buy 400 dollar pants and 40 dollar broadheads, both that perform ARGUABLY the same as a 25 dollar pant and a 10 dollar head.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The only thing I use to clean my cast iron is kosher salt, and maybe a little canola oil. If something is really stuck on surface, I will lightly use chain mail.

Swamp Fox

WKR
The only thing I use to clean my cast iron is kosher salt, and maybe a little canola oil. If something is really stuck on surface, I will lightly use chain mail.
If you don't forward this post to 13 friends, you'll be doomed: stuck in the embarrassing situation where you can't make over-easy eggs slide around the iron like hockey pucks on warm ice