yes or no..can you jump rope?

boom

WKR
man..i could as a kid.

now i am a effen mess..i jump too high and hard..i just want to do like rocky balboa and glide..whoosh whoosh whoosh..i think it would be an awesome workout..during rain events. i can jump under the solar canopy at the school next door.

i guess just stay at it? maybe i lost my rhythm..:)

i'm gonna buy a new rope tomorrow at the second hand sports store and start over.

wapitibob

WKR
Yea, I tried it a cpl times. I was at the Vegas shoot one year and a boxer was training. Man he made it look easy dancing around with that damn rope.

To answer the question, nope.

JWP58

WKR
Yep. Used to have to do 10-15mins everyday for a warm up in powerlifting (light and heavy rope). When you spend that much time dicking around with a jump rope, you get tired of smacking your toes, legs, head, ect

man..i could as a kid.

now i am a effen mess..i jump too high and hard..i just want to do like rocky balboa and glide..whoosh whoosh whoosh..i think it would be an awesome workout..during rain events. i can jump under the solar canopy at the school next door.

i guess just stay at it? maybe i lost my rhythm..:)

i'm gonna buy a new rope tomorrow at the second hand sports store and start over.

I agree, I'd start with a new rope. Again Faster and Rogue make some nice ropes. I picked up a "Neptune" on ebay that looks like the Again Faster rope and it has served me well for about 3 years. It came with a replacement rope as well so it should last me a long time. Good luck, keep at it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double unders on the menu all the time with Crossfit. To get good at them you have to do them everyday. In one month I went from 4 - 7 double unders to doing 60 - 80 double unders unbroken. It is just practicing them. A good rope at the correct length is a must though.

amp713

WKR
There are "Good" jump ropes?! Wow i had no clue....... So.... My walmart one isnt worth a dang then??

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is this a trick question? Of course I can jump rope. It's easier than riding a bike. Can even do the crossover twists between jumps. I can remember the days of basketball doing 100 one leg, then 100 other leg, then 100 both legs, then 100 running, then start over again for like 15-20 minutes. I still do some of this during the summer leading up to elk season. I used to go through so many ropes that I finally bought one that has these plastic links covering the rope so it doesn't wear out. I've had that rope for probably 30 years now.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Try holding the rope in your fingertips and using your hands to control the rope, as opposed to trying to jump to the speed of the rope. That's what helped me click with Double Unders

Eagle

WKR
A heavier rope can be helpful when you're first learning, but after you get to where you can link 60+ double unders, shoulder fatigue can be an issue. Once you hit that point, you're ready for a wire rope like againfaster and rogue produce, I've linked 180, never could get to 200.

Here's a drill for those that are learning and struggling with double unders, it takes 10 minutes.

1 minute of single unders concentrating on jumping as little as possible and keeping the arms tight to the sides using the wrists.
30 seconds rest
1 minute of "running" in place while jumping rope, works timing and coordination
30 seconds rest
1 minute of lunges while jumping rope, works timing and coordination
30 seconds of rest
1 minute of splits while jumping rope, works timing and coordination
30 seconds rest
1 minute of "pop jumps", basically doing 2-3 singles under and then jumping higher trying to maintain as straight a body as you can while slowing the rope down, and then continuing on with the singles and a jump every 2-3 singles.
30 seconds rest
1 minute of double unders or double under attempts, you can do 2-3 singles, then do a "pop jump" and spin the rope faster trying to get the double.
30 seconds rest
1 minute of doulbe unders or double under attempts again.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, I'd start with a new rope. Again Faster and Rogue make some nice ropes. I picked up a "Neptune" on ebay that looks like the Again Faster rope and it has served me well for about 3 years. It came with a replacement rope as well so it should last me a long time. Good luck, keep at it.

I second Rogue and Neptune ropes. They are great for double unders. DU's use to be the bain of my existence in Crossfit and now like RosinBag said I can do 50+ unbroken. Great workout and they will smoke you especially if you do it in conjunction with other exercises. You could easily come up with bodyweight excercises to incorporate. For example one of the classic crossfit WOD's is 50-40-30-20-10 of Sit-ups and then double unders for time. You do 50 sits then 50 DU's then go to 40 sits then 40 DU's then to 30 etc. The goal is to go as fast and hard as possible.

Yeah amp713 the ole Wal-Mart rope is okay but when you start doing double and triple unders you want a good speed rope. they have ball bearings at the handles that allow the rotation of the rope to go a lot quicker and smoother then just your regular plain ole jump rope.

amp713

WKR
Thats wild i had no idea! Problem is..... Now i want one! I gotta try it out!!!

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Thats wild i had no idea! Problem is..... Now i want one! I gotta try it out!!!

I ordered my Neptune ropes on Ebay. I think I paid $8-$9 if I remember correctly. If you get one you will be amazed at the difference.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
I use it for a hockey warmup and as part of conditioning work, took awhile to get back a skill I hadn't used since elementary school.

I guess I better Google/You Tube this lingo/visual? "Double unders...Double pops...lunges...woo!!! I knew fighters routinely do this but all you usually see is the same maneuvers. I thought you just sing songs about not breaking your Mom's back...never mind on that one I guess that's hop-scotch

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but only while singing "criss cross apple sauce". I also find it helpful to have my hair in pigtails.

Seriously though yes I can but don't because it hurts my knees.