Wyoming unit 27 hunt, SxS or no?

So myself and two friends(best friend and his dad) drew a unit 27 tag for this fall. Buddies dad doesn't get around great anymore. We are trying to decide if it is worth is to haul a SxS out there from South Carolina for the hunt. I feel like it's going to be difficult to have one vehicle for three tags with one of us being in less than ideal shape. My thoughts were haul it out there, let my buddy and his dad hunt from the truck and I can use the SxS and just hunt solo. What say you? Just take one vehicle and hope that we can kill three goats in a week to 10 days by hunting together the whole time? Haul the SxS to be able to split up and hunt different areas easier?

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
I've never regretted having a SxS, particularly if the weather gets wet. Two-tracks can turn into slip n' slides pretty fast out here. Go Noles

mike257

FNG
Depends on your hunting area,, if your on private ground with plenty of ranch roads bring the side by side. If your on public ground leave it home. We hunt just south of you 103 ,11,34, 38,, all public ground,, we run from one walk in area to the next till we spot a buck nice enough to shoot in a stalkable position, drop the designated shooter, and go on down the road. Usually have decent cell service, shooter can call if they get one down, or need picked up. Drew deer tags 2023, but 2022 in 103 , 3 of us had 3 nice bucks and 3 does in 3 days. Would have been all tagged out by dark the first day , but had my 20 year old daughter along on her first antelope hunt , took her just a litte while longer since we limited her shots to 300 yards. Most of these walk in areas , and accessable public ground have very limited roads, and in our case a SS would be a hindrance , in our case being comfortable shooting 500 yards and beyond is far more valuable than than a ss or utv . Hope that helps

OP
quackaddict
I've never regretted having a SxS, particularly if the weather gets wet. Two-tracks can turn into slip n' slides pretty fast out here. Go Noles
Yuck...

I lived in NM for a number of years and know how those roads go.

What are the regs on OHV vehicle permits for WY?

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
Yuck...

I lived in NM for a number of years and know how those roads go.

What are the regs on OHV vehicle permits for WY?

$15 I believe

7RemMag

FNG
I’m a Wyoming resident of two years. I’m not really familiar with area 27, but looking at OnX it appears there’s ample public land. I know lots of the roads on public land out here are really primitive. As in, you can get yourself in trouble in a pickup or SUV.

In my limited experience, hunting antelope in country like that using a vehicle to cover ground and spot for critters is incredibly valuable. Towing your SxS all this way will be a bit costly, but it could very well be a huge asset.

bdan68

WKR
Roads are good in that area so I really don't think you need a side by side. I just hunted there last November and we got around just fine in a pickup, and never even used 4 wheel drive.

j_volt

WKR
You don’t need one, but it might be nice to have if you’re concerned with getting slowed down by the crip. Personally, I think the drive will be better without it, and you’ll enjoy being together. You won’t have too hard of a time filling your tags.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted 27; however, I spent considerable amount of time in and around the area working in the oil field. I would fly to Casper and rent a 2wheel drive truck. I was able to get around just fine 99% of the time. You do run the risk of weather coming in and soaking the roads, but it doesn't rain a ton out in that area. 2 vehicles would be nice, but I bet you can kill 3 goats in less than 10 days. Unless you're waiting around for 3 absolute studs.

OP
quackaddict
You don’t need one, but it might be nice to have if you’re concerned with getting slowed down by the crip. Personally, I think the drive will be better without it, and you’ll enjoy being together. You won’t have too hard of a time filling your tags.

This is mostly what I’m worried about. I know the drive will be less than ideal dragging a trailer that far, but I was more worried about being able to cover ground to find antelope and hunt three deep in one ride.

j_volt

WKR
This is mostly what I’m worried about. I know the drive will be less than ideal dragging a trailer that far, but I was more worried about being able to cover ground to find antelope and hunt three deep in one ride.
Have you hunted antelope before?

TaperPin

WKR
We normally stick together in one vehicle until glassing goats turns up a good one then someone puts a stock on it. Rinse and repeat.

I have limited experience but what we noticed was the Antelope would run when an ATV/SXS was coming, but in a vehicle they just stand and look at you. Again, just my experience but it was noticeable. We would be sitting and watching a group, they would get spooky and start moving off, and over the hill would come a SXS.

EdP

WKR
To add to what Mike 257 said, Walk in Areas are just that. No vehicles of any kind allowed without permission of the land owner.

As others have said, 3 bucks in 10 days should not be a problem.

j_volt

WKR
I missed the 10 days part... What are you going to do with the other 8 days?

You can use a Huffy if you have 10 days to kill 3 bucks. Enjoy the time!

Kurts86

WKR
I absolutely dread pulling trailers for thousands of miles. They are just huge headaches with tires, lights, etc. I’ve pulled a trailer for 1 of a dozen trips out west and it was a constant headache. Depending on your vehicle it can massacre fuel economy or be squirrelly one you get a good 30 mph cross wind at the Wyoming border.

You can cover ground a lot faster with a UTV than a truck and you are less limited if you get wet conditions. That said if you have 10 days to fill 3 tags time won’t be an issue. I’ve yet to have an antelope hunt last more than 2 days of actual hunting time.