Wyoming NR Special increase headed for the Gov's signature

Bobbyboe

WKR
3. With the extra money coming in from the new special price, Wyoming will be able to cut more non res tags and still balance their budget.

So win win and win.

Number three is accurate. 90/10 for deer, elk and antelope will be coming down the pipe next. With that, most likely a regular tag increase too…. You know, to stay in line with other states.

Most of these changes are supported or are being pushed by Newbergs buddy, Buzz. Buzz is the chapter chair for Wyomings BHA.

I predict these people will be pushing for dramatic tag cuts from the general deer quota this spring, citing a harsh winter. As I years past, those cut tags will never come back.

Last edited:
I dont mind the price increase it is what it is...the allocation swing from regular to special will cause point creep in the regular draws.

Ten Bears

WKR
Well, he is friends with one of the biggest cheerleaders for screwing NR’s, Buzz.

Social media, including Newberg, hold the biggest blame. They got rich off of the wild game in western states. The advertised “easy to draw” tags and now we all have to live with the consequences.

Don’t forget about in the beginning Newberg and pals telling everyone you better start buying points now !

That sure changed.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Don’t forget about in the beginning Newberg and pals telling everyone you better start buying points now !

That sure changed.

I’m just pissed point and bonus systems still exist. They are clearly broken in every state they exist in. I’d gladly give up every point I have in every state for a lottery draws. It blows my mind more people aren’t on board with this. How can you look at any point system and say it’s working. There are too many hunters and too few tags to not have point creep.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I might just let my points expire. It isn’t the money, it just seems they don’t want me there. Plenty of other places to spend my money.
Ding, ding, ding. That message is quite clear with the 7 day resident head start for shed hunting that will also be signed into law. Residents don’t want you or I there. I don’t even shed hunt. It’s not about protecting wildlife, it’s about keeping non residents out.

UncleBone

WKR
Ding, ding, ding. That message is quite clear with the 7 day resident head start for shed hunting that will also be signed into law. Residents don’t want you or I there. I don’t even shed hunt. It’s not about protecting wildlife, it’s about keeping non residents out.
They see what goes on in Colorado, and probably want nothing to do with that. Can't blame them, but it sucks for us NRs who want to give them money and hunt there.

I might just let my points expire. It isn’t the money, it just seems they don’t want me there. Plenty of other places to spend my money.
I wonder if that won't be the case for long. Hard to get an OTC tag in Idaho nowadays, the potential end to OTC in Colorado, nearly zero OTC east side stuff in Oregon, end to OTC deer for NR in AZ, a weird system leaning toward outfitters going on in Montana...

I think the way the wind is blowing is anti-NR hunter across the west due to the imbalance between the number of people who want to hunt these days, the limited number of critters on the landscape, and the number of places people can go.

Only one who's bucked the trend is Utah's change to their elk mgmt plan this year.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I wonder if that won't be the case for long. Hard to get an OTC tag in Idaho nowadays, the potential end to OTC in Colorado, nearly zero OTC east side stuff in Oregon, end to OTC deer for NR in AZ, a weird system leaning toward outfitters going on in Montana...

I think the way the wind is blowing is anti-NR hunter across the west due to the imbalance between the number of people who want to hunt these days, the limited number of critters on the landscape, and the number of places people can go.

Only one who's bucked the trend is Utah's change to their elk mgmt plan this year.
I live in Colorado and enjoy hunting here. I don’t have the bad experiences others seem to have. I think at this point I prefer AK trips to WY moving forward, with PP in WY they would every few years anyway, so more Alaska.

UncleBone

WKR
I live in Colorado and enjoy hunting here. I don’t have the bad experiences others seem to have. I think at this point I prefer AK trips to WY moving forward, with PP in WY they would every few years anyway, so more Alaska.
I havent had bad experiences here either. Just seen a lot of people when hunting. I dont have any moose points here, but I am not sure I even want to apply. I think it would be more fun and rewarding to just pay the money for an Ak moose hunt, rather than wait 4 to 6 years and the money for a cow tag. As someone new to western hunting, I am having a hard time deciding where to spend money on points with confidence. Even here in Co as resident.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Arizona’s the crazy one. Their fish and game department paid influencers to promote AZ hunting and get more hunters into their state. Now they are limiting opportunity. Well, why try to recruit more hunters in the first place then?

I havent had bad experiences here either. Just seen a lot of people when hunting. I dont have any moose points here, but I am not sure I even want to apply. I think it would be more fun and rewarding to just pay the money for an Ak moose hunt, rather than wait 4 to 6 years and the money for a cow tag. As someone new to western hunting, I am having a hard time deciding where to spend money on points with confidence. Even here in Co as resident.
I agree with you and @BarCO . I've got my first international hunt planned for this summer and a trip to Alaska planned for '24. AK has tightened their belt in ways for NR's too with restrictions on no. of deer tags on POW, sheep hunt changes, etc. In the end, I think I'm more excited to spend a lot of time on a couple of hunts a year instead of bouncing around. For example, in 2018 I bounced around to 4 states in a year and I don't forsee that ever happening again.