Wyoming Nonresident Proposed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can access federal lands all you want, Wyoming isn't telling you or anyone else they cant. But the State, via case law and Acts of Congress controls the wildlife and decides if we allow NR's to have access to that wildlife.

Land ownership has nothing to do with wildlife ownership.

No, I understand what you're saying. However, if states were to stop providing NRs with opportunities to hunt, I'm sure there'd be mobs of lobbyists initiating changes in law, at the federal level. As far as current legislature goes, I am happy to have opportunities to hunt in states like WY, MT, CO, and ID. I wish other states were similar in that regard. I really don't see the previously mentioned states ending NR opportunities, just because of the monetary gain alone. Maybe it's bad stewardship of some NRs that give residents this animosity. Or maybe it's because residents are unhappy with their state's legislation. Whatever it may be, us NRs are happy for the opportunities provided.

Oh, and I guess I'm not busy?

What I grow tired of is the excuses that people make for NOT getting involved. Throwing some money and support at organizations is great, I do that as well. Its much appreciated, but I find it troubling that on important issues that impact hunters and fisherman, hardly anyone ever shows up. If even 10% of the people that purchased a tag or fishing license spoke up, wrote a letter, made a phone call...good grief, we could accomplish things.

The reason I take the time to do these things is not because I'm comfortable doing it, its not because its convenient for me to do it, and its not like I really have the time. I make the time because those guys that came before me, they did the same thing. They sacrificed time away from their families, their other hobbies, their vacations, etc. so that I get to enjoy what we have now. The least I can do is spend some vacation time and a few hours a week advocating for what they fought for.

I don't believe for one second that all of us don't have some spare time to advocate for wildlife, public lands, habitat, etc. It doesn't have to be in Wyoming, It doesn't have to be every issue....there are a mountain of issues that need to be dealt with by locals with knowledge in just about every State.

I will agree that its a challenge to get all the information out there, but I think places like these bulletin boards are a great way to get information out and issues on the table.

I also believe at no time in history is there better information sharing and its never been easier to get involved. Yet, a vast majority still don't take the time to inform themselves or get involved.

That's not being condescending, that's just being factual.

Buzz, why do most of your comments need to be expressed with either anger or condescension? You often make good points coming from a place of knowledge but the tone seriously erodes their effect and just turns people off.

BuzzH

WKR
No, I understand what you're saying. However, if states were to stop providing NRs with opportunities to hunt, I'm sure there'd be mobs of lobbyists initiating changes in law, at the federal level. As far as current legislature goes, I am happy to have opportunities to hunt in states like WY, MT, CO, and ID. I wish other states were similar in that regard. I really don't see the previously mentioned states ending NR opportunities, just because of the monetary gain alone. Maybe it's bad stewardship of some NRs that give residents this animosity. Or maybe it's because residents are unhappy with their state's legislation. Whatever it may be, us NRs are happy for the opportunities provided.

Wyoming isn't going to ever be a place where NR's are not welcome and appreciated. We're all NR's in 49 other states. I go out of my way to thank NR's hunters for purchasing higher priced tags and providing a bigger share of the license revenue.

What gets interesting to me though, is how entitled many NR's seem to be toward Wyoming. I think our generosity has been taken for granted and is now expected.

I didn't throw a fit when CO stopped allowing NR's to apply for RFW tags. I didn't throw a fit when New Mexico residents decided to not allow NR's to hunt cow elk there. I didn't throw a fit when New Mexico cut a lot of NR sheep hunting opportunities for Wyoming, or reduced the NR DIY tag allocation. I understand why each state places its residents as a higher priority than a NR.

Yet, when Wyoming residents want to look out for themselves, they get nothing but flak. We get a lot of that flak from residents of States that don't allow any NR hunting for certain species, or severely limit NR opportunities way more than WY does. I guess when the shoe is on the other foot, its a different story.

There is a proper balance between providing resident opportunity first, while still giving NR's plenty of opportunity as well. Most States have settled somewhere around that 90-10 split.

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz, why do most of your comments need to be expressed with either anger or condescension? You often make good points coming from a place of knowledge but the tone seriously erodes their effect and just turns people off.

Maybe because I don't sugar coat things and try to be direct. I honestly don't try to be anything but as up front and honest as possible. I'm not a mamby pamby type I guess and neither were the people I grew up hunting and fishing with, both family and friends.

I think a lot is just writing style, I don't use big fancy words and I try not to bog down the message with a bunch of word salad. I learned to write with as few words as possible to get the point across.

I apologize if my directness comes out as condescending or angry...not the intent.

Oh, and I guess I'm not busy?

What I grow tired of is the excuses that people make for NOT getting involved. Throwing some money and support at organizations is great, I do that as well. Its much appreciated, but I find it troubling that on important issues that impact hunters and fisherman, hardly anyone ever shows up. If even 10% of the people that purchased a tag or fishing license spoke up, wrote a letter, made a phone call...good grief, we could accomplish things.

The reason I take the time to do these things is not because I'm comfortable doing it, its not because its convenient for me to do it, and its not like I really have the time. I make the time because those guys that came before me, they did the same thing. They sacrificed time away from their families, their other hobbies, their vacations, etc. so that I get to enjoy what we have now. The least I can do is spend some vacation time and a few hours a week advocating for what they fought for.

I don't believe for one second that all of us don't have some spare time to advocate for wildlife, public lands, habitat, etc. It doesn't have to be in Wyoming, It doesn't have to be every issue....there are a mountain of issues that need to be dealt with by locals with knowledge in just about every State.

I will agree that its a challenge to get all the information out there, but I think places like these bulletin boards are a great way to get information out and issues on the table.

I also believe at no time in history is there better information sharing and its never been easier to get involved. Yet, a vast majority still don't take the time to inform themselves or get involved.

That's not being condescending, that's just being factual.

Don’t disagree with anything you just stated.

But I’m not sure how posting “It amazing how NR don't understand, at all, what they're talking about in regard to how this bill will really impact them, and how little they understand about the current draw.

Unbelievable really.“

Is supposed to get people more involved in fighting for conservation.

Telling me I’m an idiot for not knowing what exactly what this might mean for Wyoming after reading the article doesn’t exactly make me want to give up a free Saturday and help you out. I’m not sure how that’s not condescending.

It took me more than a hot minute to figure out how this crazy western stuff worked in most states as I didn’t grow up in it or around it. I still have a lot to learn, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that fact.

You attract more bees with Honey than Vinegar Buzz. I want nothing more than to see you and your organization be successful, so take this as constructive criticism.

if It wasn’t for buzz we’d be at page 16 hearing how their brothers uncles cousins is crying in his cereal this morning because Wyoming took away his elk tag

Life isn’t a damn group hug. If someone’s a bit gruff swallow ur prize and Listen.

thanks buzzH for the knowledge drop, will you keep us abreast of any forthcoming events?

87TT

WKR
Dammit, I hate it when I have to agree with Buzz but this time he is spot on.

npm352

WKR
Going the way of New Mexico...and man what a giant dick punch to guys with sheep points...among others.

npm352

WKR
I wish that federal tax dollars from outside of those States would be reflective of that same attitude and be cut accordingly.
Interestingly, by federal law, states can discriminate financially against other state's residents in only two ways: college tuition and hunting/fishing licenses.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a link ya'll should look at, there are 2 letters one from the president of the WYOGA and the other from Wyoming wildlife federation that you should read. Taken at face value it appears that the WYOGA is against this.

Contact these five Senators who are on the Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee. These people directly have the power to impact hunting in Wyoming.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Here is a link ya'll should look at, there are 2 letters one from the president of the WYOGA and the other from Wyoming wildlife federation that you should read. Taken at face value it appears that the WYOGA is against this.

Contact these five Senators who are on the Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee. These people directly have the power to impact hunting in Wyoming.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Lordy, the comments section in the gohunt article is painful to read.

Gobbler36

WKR
The animals belong (actually held in trust for) to "the people" of the state they reside in.

As a NR you are only allowed access to our wildlife if we choose to let you have that access to them. If we feel like it, we can always allow you a 100-0 split of our wildlife resources.
One more time for the people in the back!

Gobbler36

WKR
I understand most of your logic, except the need for the statement above. As long as there are federal lands within a state, there should be federal opportunity to access it. I'm sure Teddy Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold would agree.
There is federal opportunity you can, camp, hike recreate on all federal land till the cows come home but the states manage the resources and hold in trust for the residents of that state

KHNC

WKR
The animals belong (actually held in trust for) to "the people" of the state they reside in.

As a NR you are only allowed access to our wildlife if we choose to let you have that access to them. If we feel like it, we can always allow you a 100-0 split of our wildlife resources.
Bold statement Buzz. I would really like to see how that would work out for Wyoming Wildlife. In less than 10 years, you would likely have major overpopulation issues. Not enough game could be killed by residents to keep them in check. Good luck on that one. Im sure you dont mean it, but its a ridiculous statement none the less.

LostArra

WKR
Yet, when Wyoming residents want to look out for themselves, they get nothing but flak. We get a lot of that flak from residents of States that don't allow any NR hunting for certain species, or severely limit NR opportunities way more than WY does. I guess when the shoe is on the other foot, its a different story.

There is a proper balance between providing resident opportunity first, while still giving NR's plenty of opportunity as well. Most States have settled somewhere around that 90-10 split.

Buzz:
If WWF and WOGA are against this bill, who in the state is for it? Some citizen with a legislator's ear had to get the ball rolling. I saw this last summer but Shaul's complaints about leftover tags (which seemed ridiculous to me) didn't make it into the bill.

I'm having a hard time seeing a Wyo resident NOT having elk hunting opportunity. They can hunt elk every single year. Besides the general license, the draw odds and quotas are pretty good for residents in most all of the LE areas. I hunt cow elk in probably the highest demand area for residents in the state and their odds are about 1 in 4 to draw to draw a bull tag with 1000+ tags issued to residents. Non residents get about 170 full price bull tags. Moving 8 or 9 of those tags isn't going to drastically change the odds for residents.

I'm probably wrong but I would guess that the resident complaints would center around General elk areas where a lot of residents hunt and the most non-resident tags (approx 3900) are given.

NDGuy

WKR
Bold statement Buzz. I would really like to see how that would work out for Wyoming Wildlife. In less than 10 years, you would likely have major overpopulation issues. Not enough game could be killed by residents to keep them in check. Good luck on that one. Im sure you dont mean it, but its a ridiculous statement none the less.
I mean...I doubt the residents would be complaining if they had 10 elk, antelope and deer tags every year lol

KHNC

WKR
I mean...I doubt the residents would be complaining if they had 10 elk, antelope and deer tags every year lol
It wouldnt matter, there still arent enough residents in that state to kill enough to keep up. Hell, the majority dont even kill ONE elk per year right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.