Wyoming Nonresident Proposed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

brsnow

WKR
Hunting is catching up to other hobbies in cost, has a good bargain previously.

So this bill in a much easier to swallow version was proposed last year and failed to pass. This version takes some drastic cuts to NR. I wonder if it will pass considering the massive cut in revenue that would occur. I can't see where it will be made up if NR are only 10% of tags.

Hunting just isn’t the same as when our forefathers were out enjoying the sport. It’s been heading down this rich persons path for a while now, like it or not. Honestly and I might get flamed for saying it, I’d rather pay double the price and have less hunters in my unit.

Mt Al

WKR
-I'd still do antelope, in my financial vs. fun vs. reward mind it still seems kind of reasonable given all the other costs of a hunt.
-For elk and deer I'd have to have access to prime country and good potential for big racks to pay those prices but that's because I live in Montana. Don't know how it feels if you're from a state without deer and elk. I'm guessing it would sting a ton.
-Moose/sheep/goat: I don't put in for those in Wyoming but for a once in a lifetime tag I'd do it. Lowering the chances of a draw keeps me from putting in anyway.

Just sucks that costs keep creeping. Still, compared to what we spend on rifles, optics, clothes, ammo, practice, gas, VEHICLES, tents, etc, the tags are a small part of the real, actual costs. The way I get over that is to write it all out so the costs are painfully in front of me, staring at me. Helps me justify questionable decisions!

BuzzH

WKR
It amazing how NR don't understand, at all, what they're talking about in regard to how this bill will really impact them, and how little they understand about the current draw.

Unbelievable really.

Buzz in the Hood

zxvab5mxpmyxof88qwnd.jpg

Chad E

WKR
I think the guys commenting solely on the price increase here saying they would still go are missing the boat. You may be willing to pay the increase but with the halving of the quota then creating a guide pool with 30% of the tags you wont have the opportunity to pay the increase very often. I'd gladly pay for a New Mexico elk tag but the non guided non resident quota is so low it's a challenge drawing even without a point system. This legislation puts Wyoming in that category.

Rich M

WKR
It amazing how NR don't understand, at all, what they're talking about in regard to how this bill will really impact them, and how little they understand about the current draw.

Unbelievable really.

Buzz -

They said NR got 20% of the draw last year and are proposing 10% draw next year. How does that not cut the permits in half?

Are there enough residents or guides to absorb the additional 10% that will now be available to them? WY isn't exactly a heavily populated state.

Bobbyboe

WKR

Unbelievable really.

Buzz, your typically a beacon of knowledge on these topics. Would the total tag allotment stay the same for elk? So, would NR get more of the general tags instead of the LQ? How about deer and antelope? I thought in the past you said the allotment was in statute, can this be changed easily?

As far as impact, I don’t see how this doesn’t cause creep to substantially rise. Am I wrong with that thinking? What are locals saying about the outfitter welfare?

LostArra

WKR

Unbelievable really.

True. But there are plenty of people, both resident and non-resident, who don't understand draw systems in general and Wyoming in particular. They do understand Price and Successful draw and Unsuccessful draw. That's it and that's all that really matters to both groups.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Buzz, your typically a beacon of knowledge on these topics. Would the total tag allotment stay the same for elk? So, would NR get more of the general tags instead of the LQ? How about deer and antelope? I thought in the past you said the allotment was in statute, can this be changed easily?

As far as impact, I don’t see how this doesn’t cause creep to substantially rise. Am I wrong with that thinking? What are locals saying about the outfitter welfare?

First part is correct, not sure about the rest. NR allocation stays at 7,250. Less LQ tags = more general tags.

So this bill in a much easier to swallow version was proposed last year and failed to pass. This version takes some drastic cuts to NR. I wonder if it will pass considering the massive cut in revenue that would occur. I can't see where it will be made up if NR are only 10% of tags.

Unbelievable really.

BuzzH really looking for some guidance here.

My understanding is this will techniquilly boost state income as quotas would decrease in LE units but the rest would still fall into the general unit draw (elk) , resulting in the same tags sold but at a higher average price (elk).

Also all tags going up on all species will help other species profitability.

Can you shed any light on the odds of this passing as is? Odds of outfitter quota being stripped?

Concerning to say the least as a non resident. I totally see residents desire to have more tags in LE zones. Will that have the driving force to get this passed?

Chad E

WKR
The way the draw works in Wyoming would still allow for tags not drawn by residents to be drawn by non residents so the drop might not be as drastic but with 30% set aside I dont see any way that drawing a tag doesn't get considerably harder. Especially for species like antelope where there is no general tag to make up the balance of lost Limited quota tags

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
In a nutshell and without going way down the rabbit hole the state will not lose revenue by limiting NR to 10%. And in all honesty NRs will not lose a ton of tags. NR are guaranteed X amount of elk licenses that’s through statute. Any tags not drawn in the LQ areas go into the general pool. No loss of tags on elk. The vast majority of deer licenses are general, draw for NR And OTC for resident. No loss of tags there. There would be some loss of deer tags in LQ areas. Antelope tags I’d venture to say that NR will still end up with 50% plus of those. Trophy species will lose a few tags. The 10% is coming sooner or later. The 30% outfitter pool is garbage.

Unbelievable really.

Well maybe you can explain it to us, rather than talking down to us lowly peons that didn’t have the good fortune to end up living in Wyoming.

I’m all ears to why this isn’t f$cking over my 2021 plans. To my little non resident pea brain it certainly looks like higher costs, more point creep, and more outfitter welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.