Wyoming - My Head Hurts

ChrisAU

WKR
I have a few basic questions that google isn't helping much with. Next year a buddy and I will each have 2 PP for both antelope and deer. We simply want a chance at a representative of the species. I'm digging into it more and more.

Seems like the focus would be to pick a general deer tag area and then pick an antelope unit within it that we need the points for?

Also, is a guide required on all national forest land or just wilderness areas?

Sorry for the dumbass questions :LOL:

Just wilderness for the guide

Of course I found the blurb on WGFD right after I posted this. I assumed that was the case from what I had read before but I was on the phone with a guy who hunts private land in WY every year an he said he thought it was all NF land which made me question myself. Thank you!

As far as picking areas....IMO it kind of depends. Realistically if you are just looking for a representative antelope. You may be able to just plan a couple days to go shoot a goat. With 2 pts you should be able to find a unit to get a respectable buck in pretty easy (more than likely you and your buddy could kill both in one day). Then spend the rest of the time hunting deer in another area of the state even.

Theoretically, yes it would be preferable to find both tags in the same area but I wouldn't limit it to the same general deer area if that makes sense.

As far as picking areas....IMO it kind of depends. Realistically if you are just looking for a representative antelope. You may be able to just plan a couple days to go shoot a goat. With 2 pts you should be able to find a unit to get a respectable buck in pretty easy (more than likely you and your buddy could kill both in one day). Then spend the rest of the time hunting deer in another area of the state even.

Theoretically, yes it would be preferable to find both tags in the same area but I wouldn't limit it to the same general deer area if that makes sense.
Seconded.

Yeah part of my pause when deciding which to prioritize the point situation on is that I know just about any male antelope will be a "representative of the species" to me and my buddy coming from AL, but we definitely do know the difference between a forkie mulie and a decent buck so we'd probably be more discerning there.

Here's a great question for the antelope forum: Why are there numbered deer units that require 2+ points inside of general deer units that seem to be a 0 point draw? Unit 60 inside General Unit J for instance.

That makes great sense...and we'd get to see more of the state in theory. Thanks, hadn't thought about it that way.

Reactions: WCB
The area 60 tag would be valid only in area 60, the Region J tag is valid for all areas with general licenses in region J.
LQ tags are valid only for the area listed on it. General tags are valid in any general area, for NR that is any general area in your Region.

There are some units that got a reputation for critters and folks were getting general tags to hunt that unit. In order to manage the hunters better they split the unit off and made it separate.

Antelope should be the easier of the 2 hunts.

Yeah part of my pause when deciding which to prioritize the point situation on is that I know just about any male antelope will be a "representative of the species" to me and my buddy coming from AL, but we definitely do know the difference between a forkie mulie and a decent buck so we'd probably be more discerning there.

Here's a great question for the antelope forum: Why are there numbered deer units that require 2+ points inside of general deer units that seem to be a 0 point draw? Unit 60 inside General Unit J for instance.
You want a “representative of the species” but only have 2 points and talking unit 60? SIXTY???. The top unit in the state. Not even a lock for max point holders with 14 points, and that was before they reduced tags.

You want a “representative of the species” but only have 2 points and talking unit 60? SIXTY???. The top unit in the state. Not even a lock for max point holders with 14 points, and that was before they reduced tags.

I was just using it as an example without even looking at points.

There are some units that got a reputation for critters and folks were getting general tags to hunt that unit. In order to manage the hunters better they split the unit off and made it separate.

Antelope should be the easier of the 2 hunts.

Thanks and this is the concept I didn’t grasp initially, I asked questions before doing more research. At the time I was under the impression that a general region tag got you access to all units inside the general area but I now know that was wrong, and it makes some sense I guess haha.

I believe he is talking about deer area 60 not antelope.

Thanks and this is the concept I didn’t grasp initially, I asked questions before doing more research. At the time I was under the impression that a general region tag got you access to all units inside the general area but I now know that was wrong, and it makes some sense I guess haha.
At first glance what you say seems right but they always find a way to complicate things. I've not been at this game long, just long enough to know that we need to look under every rock before committing to a unit or general tag.

Right now my group is chasing antelope tags and have 5 yrs to go. It's all about getting as far away from the competition as possible.

If you haven't been before, it isn't like the TV shows. Plenty of other folks pursuing the dream too.

I would not call 60 the best antelope area in the state either

Back