Killed my Wyoming buck

Well, I guess I found the only deer in my unit that made it through last winter in Wyoming. So of course I shot him.

In all seriousness, I've never seen so many deer as I did in the 2 days I hunted. Every corner we turned we were finding deer. I was in a unit not known for big deer, but known for a lot of deer and a lot of public land.

I found this particular buck on day one, 20 minutes into hunting. I wasn't ready for my hunt to be over that quickly, so I spent another day looking over a bunch of other deer. The next day I ended up coming back and shooting him, so we could beat the storm that was rolling in and get back home!

In regards to winter kill, we did stumble across a few small deer and some nice antelope carcasses and dead heads that were victims of the winter. But we still found tons of both that were alive and well throughout the unit.
20231026_104758.jpg20231026_104819.jpg

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck! Not sure where you were but I got hit w the same snow chasing elk.
I was nearly smack dab in the middle of the state, then just a bit east. The snow began Thursday morning and I think it only got worse after we left.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. Forgot to mention that I drew the tag in the random draw with way less points than it takes!

manitou1

WKR
You must have hit a small "pocket" because myself and my rancher and hunting buddies tell a different story.
Antelope and deer numbers are down... drastically.

Of course, we all live here and see the effects daily.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
You must have hit a small "pocket" because myself and my rancher and hunting buddies tell a different story.
Antelope and deer numbers are down... drastically.

Of course, we all live here and see the effects daily.
Not trying to make light of winter kill. I know it was devastating in certain areas. However, it's not all doom and gloom even though much of the talk on hunting pages and forums can make it seem that way. The area I was in wasn't hit particularly hard by winter kill, and that's some good news that we should all celebrate. The future of hunting is alive and well.

Not trying to make light of winter kill. I know it was devastating in certain areas. However, it's not all doom and gloom even though much of the talk on hunting pages and forums can make it seem that way. The area I was in wasn't hit particularly hard by winter kill, and that's some good news that we should all celebrate. The future of hunting is alive and well.
This has been my experience as well.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Congrats! Wyoming is like the land of milk and honey coming from Co right? Haha I love it up there hopefully there is room left when I’m ready to jump ship on Co

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Wyoming is like the land of milk and honey coming from Co right? Haha I love it up there hopefully there is room left when I’m ready to jump ship on Co
Man I love Wyoming. My wife and I talk regularly about moving to Wyoming some day.