2023 Wyoming Antelope "Plan A"

I'll post to the meat pole thread but I wanted to offer a little bit more detailed information regarding the overall trip. I feel like access, weather, road quality, and hunt quality are big questions that easterners have especially south easterners. I hope to answer all of these here in. I really think no one knows until they just actually do it for themselves but there is a lot of uncertainty in driving 21 hours into the unknown. This was my second trip to WY. The first I soloed and it was not fun for me, bad weather, high hunter numbers, no public access (easy to draw unit), and extreme drive times all contributed to my uneasiness in 2018. That was a tag I drew off my second choice while keeping my PP. This tag is the one I have been waiting to draw and kind of chasing point creep since 2016. My hunting partner did not draw but was still good enough to come with me.
We drove from TN to WY which took 1.5 days we arrived Tuesday afternoon with season opening on Friday morning. On this day, other than ranchers, we had the unit to ourselves it seemed. We spent the afternoon checking out one side of the unit close to town and camped on BLM land that night. The roads were asphalt/gravel and the weather was perfect. We did slide down a dirt road to check out some antelope in a basin, not a 2 track, this was a dirt road not gravel or chert. We looked over 20+ bucks and saw a total of 100-120 antelope at distances of 200 yds to 2 miles.
I can not express enough the importance of a good set of 10x binoculars. I used Maven C1 and they were great. I also bought a used Swaro STS which was great also. The vortex summit tripod I bought did not pair well with the STS due to it's height. It's more in line with an angled spotter height, unless you have really short legs. Also there was some adapting to get the vortex base plate onto the spotter as well. I used it mostly sitting or kneeling rather than standing. I also need to comment on the heat mirage looking through the spotter. The mirage is not near as noticeable through the binos as it is the spotter and it did obscure most of what we were trying to look at. This made it difficult to judge particular bucks a majority of the day. I will add the obvious that the closer we were the easier it was to judge through the mirage. 800-900yds was extremely difficult while 500-400 was a lot easier. I would advise anyone attempting this hunt to stop and pull out the binoculars and check everything. We skipped over a ton of antelope just by thinking we could spot them with the naked eye. We learned this by forcing ourselves to take the time and comb over the landscape with the binos.
The second day we pulled camp and burnt the roads up. We looked over approximately 50 bucks and saw around 200 antelope total; eventually we located what we considered (1) buck that was upper 70's possibly pushing 80" and another that was a close second. One was barely on a WIA and the other was on a very small block of BLM. We also spent some time down some 2 tracks and hiked a mile in on some BLM and located another sizeable buck. He was in that magic land of mirage haze and we didn't know for sure how good he was but dubbed him a shooter. We found several good bucks a decent piece off the roads that had does, one of them being the buck we would take (Plan A). Plan A got moved around a lot schedule wise because he was so far away and was hard to judge. We also kept saying, "Nobody is going to go after him. He's too far off the road." I also say "we" as this was a team effort. I had the tag, I pulled the trigger but this would have been nothing but disaster had I not a hunting partner. It was going to rain Wednesday night so we grabbed a hotel room.
Thursday morning we tried to relocate the giants we had seen the day before and were unsuccessful while we did relocate 2 of the bucks from the day before and 1 of those being Plan A. They were both in the same place doing the same thing. We picked up a pattern here. The bucks would bed up high and push their does down to feed in the morning then 9-10 oclock they'd push them back up to bed then between 1-3 oclock back down and so on. There are also plenty of bucks and does standing next to the road but all that we saw in that proximity were not something we considered worthy of a 7 year tag. Mostly yearlings or smaller bucks would be there. We also noticed that if we stopped to look at these antelope that are within 400 yds of the road they would hang around about 20 secs and leave. We picked up on this quick and tried to avoid this type of behaviour. It did not carry over to the other people that began to show up in the unit as they would fly up and whoop sideways in the road while trying to get a spotting scope out to look the antelope would bolt. Totaly unnecessary for something 200 yds out. I mean, cmon, roll through throw up the bino's you'll know if he's good or not. If they would've kept driving and found some cover to come back and look it would have ended different for them. Thursday afternoon we found the largest buck we had seen so far and he was 442 yds from the road up a draw that no one bothered to look at. I broke the rule and tried to get a pic of him through the spotter and he got nervous, rounded up his does, and trotted behind a finger. He was very tall, heavy, and had enormous cutters that seemed so long they turned over. Assuming he was on the schedule as all the other bucks with does were we dubbed him Hollar buck and he was going to be the first stop Friday morning. We also located what we thought was a decent buck a little farther down the road and bumped him to stop number 2 should Hollar buck not work out. It rained on us before we got out to the highway and the roads became slicker than a lizard in a grease bucket. We fish tailed a mile back to asphalt and grabbed a hotel room again not wanting to camp in the mud.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0937.PNG
    IMG_0937.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 115
OP
steveokanevo
Friday morning at 12:01 A.M. I became sick and voided my body 4 times before we left the hotel room that morning. I am certain it was not nerves although I have been teased about that aspect since. We expected the roads to be extremely slick but were pleased to notice that these dirt/sand roads were dry and easily passable. Again, not a two track, these are dirt roads not gravel. I would heavily recommend 4 wheel drive, I also had purchased traction pads but they were not needed. We got to where Hollar buck was the day before and spent an hour getting around his spot to find out he ghosted us, so we bounced down the road to the decent buck we found the day before. We located him along with 9-10 does and decided he wasn't as good as we thought he was. So, this leads us to Plan A. By this time we had heard 2 shots and it was approximately 1.5 hours after shooting time. We also had in the back of our mind all the vehicles we had seen in the days approaching the opener. There were several that we recognized as hunters mainly by the erratic driving and orange hats (unnecessary before season btw) but probably less than 12 total. We high tailed it to Plan A. I couldn't find him with the binos, he wasnt in the same spot. I was ready to move on when my partner said, "There they are, and he's with them." It was early and not hot yet so we got out the spotter and checked him again to make sure. We knew he was heavy and had a good hook. He was patrolling a horse shoe ridge above what looked to be a old lake bed. "Yep, that's him let's go." This is where I was being pushed to do things. I didn't take my back pack, I had to be asked to get my knife and game bags, and I was dehydrated and feeling like trash and this was going to be every bit of 1.5 miles of up and down to get around them. I didn't anticipate the end result, I figured we would blow the stalk and have to walk back to the truck empty handed. When in actuality we popped up 60 yds from the does and I smoked him at 126 yds. I did use a tripod but it was merely a prop there was no time to anchor it down and all that garbage. It all happened too quick. Shooting sticks would've worked well, the bipod was worthless at that distance due to the height of the sage brush. Upon approaching the ridge I noticed a larger bush sticking up over the top. I crawled up behind it and eased up on my knees. I saw them from the corner of my eyes and instantly flattened out while silently hollaring and waving my arms around like a Nazi trying to get the attention of my friend who at this time had both the tripod and my rifle. By the time he got to me and I unfolded the legs the does had circled us and I could see them in full view, they seemed curious. I asked for my gun in case the buck appeared. To my horror I looked down to see my friend sitting on a cactus and trying to unsucessfully take the bipod off my riflel. I whisper screamed,"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!?! GIVE ME THE GUN!" at the same time seeing the buck marching down the line that his does had created. I quickly reassembled the mess, laid the gun across the tripod, found the buck's shoulder and pulled the trigger. He instantly hunched up but remained standing. Not wanting to let him get away I sent more lead (well copper, barnes LRX) down range. It was unnecessary but I was super amped up. Amped up enough that I had forgotten all about the diarreah that plagued me every step of the 1.5 miles to this final destination. We hooped and hollared and took pictures and danced around then realized how small the truck was in the distance and got to work. Also of note is that while quartering up the buck we could've shot another that approached us from well over 800 yds to about 450. I had some white and orange game bags and we showed him those and he kept coming. He would stop every now and then and posture, we would show him a bag and he would continue towards us. I wish I had been more optomistic of the outcome. I would've taken my pack and lots of water. Lucky enough for me I had a hunting partner that was smart enough to know we could get it done. I carried a game bag of meat and the rifle while he carried everything else in his pack and we swapped 1/2 way there. We did have some ice in the coolers at the truck and pack it good when we got back to town. The rancher pulled up to the truck while we were packing and I gave him my land owner coupon. I did shoot the buck on BLM but apparently he leased that portion. I am unsure how exactly that works but the coupon wasn't doing me any good so I sent it with him. Had they not cut the doe tags this year we would've tried to draw some of those as well.
I do want to mention that we had made plans A-X with X being to try to talk to a rancher close to town that had a decent buck eating up all his alfalfa. This was a unit with a lot of public access, but most of the hunters were just riding the roads looking out the window. Also, we did notice someone shoot one from the road and the game warden was there instantly. They were probably 60yds from the truck and I am pretty sure you have to be 30' off the road to shoot and can't shoot across the road. The only thing I noticed at that spot each day was a yearling buck by himself. If you want a good hunt save up the points and find a buck off the road. Take some time and look for them. It was definitely not necessary to get there 2.5 days before season and to be honest I wish we could've shot on day 1 but I probably would've settled for something smaller. I am super happy with the buck that God granted us. I rough scored him at the house at 72". 12.5" length and 6.5" bases that carry with 4.5" cutters. I don't consider myself a pro or veteran or anything like that. I was just lucky enough to get to experience this and then write about it. I respect the game to much to give up unit information or hotspot pins in the forum but will help anyone that has questions.

Last edited:
Great read! I leave Friday for my antelope hunt. First one. To say I am anxious would be an incredible understatement. Packing and re-packing and refining the gear list. Spending the last 2 evenings before departure — cramming on the maps (like I'm taking a college test.)

OP
steveokanevo
Great read! I leave Friday for my antelope hunt. First one. To say I am anxious would be an incredible understatement. Packing and re-packing and refining the gear list. Spending the last 2 evenings before departure — cramming on the maps (like I'm taking a college test.)
Use your binoculars, we used ours a lot more than the spotters. It's easy to spot antelope if they are standing in the sun with their butt to you. Otherwise they can hide fairly well. Just check everything. We turned up antelope bedded close (400 +/-) to the road with binos that we missed with the naked eye. Also, most of the bucks without does roamed extensively save for a few. We found one on Tuesday up high on a plateau by himself and found him each day in the same place. We found him by chance and the good thing about him was we never saw anyone else looking at him, while they did hit the more obvious places. We found a lot of antelope higher up on the hills and even some in the tree lines. If you see one close that you want keep driving to find cover don't stop.

OnX was critical and don't be afraid of the roads (2 tracks included) as long as its not raining we found them to be easily passable. Maybe the sand or the dryness caused them to shed water and dry quickly. Shooting sticks or something to get above the sage would work well. I also would advise hunting during the week and after opener. We did see some people sitting on antelope the day before. To be honest they could keep those because they were in the wide open and it was flat as a pancake (the obvious places). We quickly realized that if we wanted to get off the road even a little bit we would be by ourselves and that's what I preferred. Also that's where the bigger bucks were too.

Good Luck!

Todd P

FNG
Great read, thank you. We are leaving Sunday for Wyoming. Anxiety and nervous and starting to build, packed and re-packed more times than I care to admit.

I am so ready for this trip.

Todd

wytx

WKR
We have weather coming in next week, by weekend for some areas.
Might be cold and wet.

Good luck and nice buck !

OP
steveokanevo
Great read, thank you. We are leaving Sunday for Wyoming. Anxiety and nervous and starting to build, packed and re-packed more times than I care to admit.

I am so ready for this trip.

Todd
We were the same way. It never really stopped until we got the buck down. We anticipated more competition than we had, mainly due to my previous trip in 2018. My advice for easily drawn areas is get there early and kill your buck as soon as possible and you might have to settle for something smaller. In those easily drawn areas I saw more people branching off the road further because there wasn’t many areas to hunt. Initial plan was to put a buck to bed and be there before daylight waiting on him to stand up. I think that would be a good plan for tougher areas. Either that or sit on water/lower lush areas or seek private access because the public gets melted from foot traffic. Every rancher I have spoken with has been super nice, just genuinely good people. I am sure there are some exceptions but that is not my experience.

Good Luck!