Wyoming hunt plan for the future

I'm fairly new to elk hunting and have always hunted the same spot my father showed me in CO. Went this year and successfully took home a either sex elk tag! We had a blast though!!! My new friend from work and I hiked all over heck and spiked for the first time. It was my third and his first elk hunt. We did get a crack at a bull but we messed it up with great skill. Anyways trying to open my horizons a bit for the future so bought a Wyoming deer and elk preference point tonight. We need some help with where to start! Not asking for ur hot spot but more some gmu info or some areas to get us headed in the right direction. Thanks for ur help we are both addicted with the bug.

OP
S
No one??? We been looking around bighorn Mtn. But I'm not in full understanding of how wyoming tags work. What is a general tag? I've done some reading on their website but if anyone could help with some clarity it would be appreciated. We are basically trying to find a unit where we can draw with 1-3 Pts yet have a descent elk density. We are not looking for trophies by any means!! Just some meat for the freezer.

wapitibob

WKR
WY is draw only. You can draw a GEN tag and hunt all units listed as general, or draw an individual unit. Hunt dates are listed with the seasons and dates info. You can buy an archery license and hunt the early archery season after you draw a full price tag. The archery dates are listed in the "regulations", not in the regular application booklet.

I made my first archery elk hunt last year in WY. Out of a party of four one guy scored on a raghorn bull and I really should have but messed up. We went this year to CO with OTC tags but didn't have any luck. We started last year in Bridger NF and left after one day because mule deer with rifle or muzzleloader was open and the orange army was out. We left and went all the way to Medicine Bow NF and moved around just once in there. It had a lot of fresh sign and heard bulls bugling at night nearly every night. I bought my point too so hopefully will be back next year to try our luck again.

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking for meat, maybe get some leftover cow tags, they're easy to get and see what areas you like best. I'd recommend area 95 if you'd like to try cow hunting. It usually takes 5points to draw a bull tag there. That area has quite a bit of non wilderness, so you don't have to worry about the NR in wilderness rule.

If your looking for meat, maybe get some leftover cow tags, they're easy to get and see what areas you like best. I'd recommend area 95 if you'd like to try cow hunting. It usually takes 5points to draw a bull tag there. That area has quite a bit of non wilderness, so you don't have to worry about the NR in wilderness rule.

If you don't mind me asking, what the "NR in wilderness rule"?

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Has the non-residents not being able to hunt in a wilderness area in Wyoming without a guide ever been challenged in the legal system? I think that law is absolutely ridiculous. I can go backpacking or fishing in the same wilderness all summer long, but I need a babysitter come hunting season.

muleman

WKR
Has the non-residents not being able to hunt in a wilderness area in Wyoming without a guide ever been challenged in the legal system? I think that law is absolutely ridiculous. I can go backpacking or fishing in the same wilderness all summer long, but I need a babysitter come hunting season.

Please be the one to challenge it!

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Please be the one to challenge it!

I probably don't have the money, time or clout to do that. I would then be blacklisted by the State of Wyoming's Fish and Game department too. Isn't that Federal land that a State law is restricting access to? I just don't get it.

muleman

WKR
I probably don't have the money, time or clout to do that. I would then be blacklisted by the State of Wyoming's Fish and Game department too. Isn't that Federal land that a State law is restricting access to? I just don't get it.

I feel more or less the same, especially the lack of my own money to fight against Wyomings public money