Wyoming feed stations are a breeding ground for Disease/CWD. Thoughts?

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider

Thoughts on this article? Makes sense, but I didn't know cwd was a big threat for elk in Wyoming currently. Seemed like those feed stations were crucial in some areas this year that had bad snowfall and late grass. This is first article of this sort that I have read concerning feed stations. Interesting read open for interpretation.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Change is inevitable and nobody likes it. Thankfully there’s time to decide what the best practice will be for wintertime feeding as time moves forward. But unfortunately the answer will also include less elk.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Change is inevitable and nobody likes it. Thankfully there’s time to decide what the best practice will be for wintertime feeding as time moves forward. But unfortunately the answer will also include less elk.
Yeah the fine line between disease and opinions is a fickle B***h. Hopefully, whatever solution is derived is the best one.

I think the operative word in your comment is "threat". While the cwd rates in these elk herds is very small currently (the last few years they have seen 1-2 elk annually that test positive in the feeding areas), that is precisely why this is concerning. CWD tends to hover around with low prevalence rates (almost undetectable) for several years before it kind of goes gangbusters. We've seen this in Wisconsin where it is now well established about 25 years after its discovery. The concern with feeding is that the animals are concentrated - sometimes up to 1,000 elk in less than a square mile, and all eating from the same feedlines daily for months at a time. Seems like a precarious position.

And, by all means, get out here and kill a cow if you can! There's plenty to spare and truly one of the best ways to help elk here, is to kill a few more of them.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I think the operative word in your comment is "threat". While the cwd rates in these elk herds is very small currently (the last few years they have seen 1-2 elk annually that test positive in the feeding areas), that is precisely why this is concerning. CWD tends to hover around with low prevalence rates (almost undetectable) for several years before it kind of goes gangbusters. We've seen this in Wisconsin where it is now well established about 25 years after its discovery. The concern with feeding is that the animals are concentrated - sometimes up to 1,000 elk in less than a square mile, and all eating from the same feedlines daily for months at a time. Seems like a precarious position.

And, by all means, get out here and kill a cow if you can! There's plenty to spare and truly one of the best ways to help elk here, is to kill a few more of them.
"Threat" definitely seems more appropriate. Be a shame to see some elk wash away from trying to help them.

As much as I'd like to come take some cows I'm a hunter of the antlered variety. My wife and kids don't mind laying down a few heifers every year though, but WY is way to far for a cow currently.

mulecreek

FNG
Jackson feedground started 123 yrs ago. Other feedgrounds in western Wyo started running in the 40's. Over 100 yrs of feeding elk gives you a pretty good data set. Brucellosis was the boogey man that was going to destroy the herd if feeding continued. That never really panned out. Seems we have moved on to CWD. Guess we will see.

Doing away with the feedgrounds sounds like a great idea. I suspect those pushing for it will get their wish. Some are hell bent on tearing down Chesterton's Fence.

So on the one hand, with feeding, you are increasing the likelihood of disease, which would result in less elk.

On the other, if you don't feed, you are accepting the certainty of less elk, so that you might not have less elk.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Same with the Elkhorn feed station in Oregon. Been around since 1971 and never a whisper of a issue. Always enjoyed going out there as a kid.

mulecreek

FNG
CWD has a higher prevelance on the central and eastern portions of Wyoming than the western portion. Elk populations in those areas are booming. They are so high that WGF had to do away with the 7250 NR elk cap. So high that they paid two people to kill over a 100 elk off a hay field. So high that NR gen regions needed to be created in order to allow for more elk to be killed. So high that there is talk of aerial gunning of elk. So high that the state pays for crop damage and fencing supplies for ranchers.

Anyone that has seen first-hand how these herds use the landscape in central and eastern Wyo in the winter would be hard pressed to tell the difference between there and a managed feedground. Yet the feedground is what's going to kill all the elk. Boogey man scare tactics at best.

Stop the feeding. They should have done it last year. breeding grounds for future CWD expansio.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
is there any case where cwd has actually wiped out herds of deer or elk? Wisconsin is the CWD hotspot and has been for some time now. I’ve never heard anything about poor deer numbers there - enlighten me.