Wyoming Bonus Points

wyosteve

WKR
Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd share. SF0088 has been introduced and referred to committee. This would potentially change the Wyoming preference point system to a bonus point system with random draw beginning July 1, 2027. Gives a few years for current point holders to still use their max points if desired.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
It's not going to make everyone happy but I think it is the only solution at this point.

Tod osier

WKR
Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd share. SF0088 has been introduced and referred to committee. This would potentially change the Wyoming preference point system to a bonus point system with random draw beginning July 1, 2027. Gives a few years for current point holders to still use their max points if desired.

This is just for Sheep and Moose, right?

AN ACT relating to game and fish; establishing a weighted bonus points program for ram bighorn sheep and moose hunting license random draws; removing the preference point drawing for ram bighorn sheep and moose; providing for the calculation of weighted bonus points; making conforming amendments; specifying applicability; requiring rulemaking; and providing for effective dates.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Solution???
Preference points are unsustainable with demand outweighing supply (point creep). It disincentivizes people from jumping in a game they cannot mathematically catch up with. Bonus points give holders at least some real (or perceived) advantage. I don't like the purely random-draw scenario because I (selfishly) don't want everyone to enter the drawing every year.

Rich M

WKR
Buzz had said it would likely go to bonus points.

What baffles me is why the system is willing to switch everything over. Most folks don't fuss enough to get stuff changed.

Anyway - it'll be like everything else - nothing will change for a few more years cause it has to get voted thru.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Everyone keep with the trend of burning their points this year, so then next year I can draw a primo tag;)

And i hope you do. the future is bright to some and bleak to others. I'm burning and getting out - the guys willing to hang on will have a good time for a while (i hope).

AN ACT relating to game and fish; establishing a weighted bonus points program for ram bighorn sheep and moose hunting license random draws; removing the preference point drawing for ram bighorn sheep and moose; providing for the calculation of weighted bonus points; making conforming amendments; specifying applicability; requiring rulemaking; and providing for effective dates.
I have always thought of bonus points as either 1. additional names in the hat (5 bonus points, 5 times in the hat), or 2. squaring (if you have 5 bonus points, then your name goes into the hat 25 times). I wonder what they have in mind when they say "weighted"? Is that just a general phrasing which implies that the more you have, the better (which seems obvious anyway), or is there some other formula commonly used different from either of the 2 systems I outlined above that is known as "weighted"?

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Not positive on what 'weighted' means, but most likely means 'weighted' in favor of those with more points. If I remember correctly, when Game and Fish did a survey on this last year, one option was to take preference points and square them, so that would be 'weighted' in favor of those with more points theoretically.

Scoot

WKR
Preference points are unsustainable with demand outweighing supply (point creep). It disincentivizes people from jumping in a game they cannot mathematically catch up with. Bonus points give holders at least some real (or perceived) advantage. I don't like the purely random-draw scenario because I (selfishly) don't want everyone to enter the drawing every year.
Can we settle on "option" rather than "solution"? It's certainly an option, but just as certainly isn't a solution! :);)

Reactions: wyo

JPM8765

FNG
Is this for all game species?