Wyoming 90/10 for elk

Bighorner

WKR
Is that an empty threat? Lol

It is blatantly obvious what is happening to non res opportunity across the west. A non res better make the best of it.

My suggestions for non res (Which are biased based on my situation) are get your hunts in asap. Save your money and buy tags, buy access in heavily private easy draw units, move, or pick up a new hobby.

Good luck Chuck. Let me know when you pick up that heavily private ranch with enough dirt for a landowner tag. I'm sure that elk tag is worth it.

You are right, better get mine while the getting is good. I'll take that extra 0.80% of tags from 90/10 for DEA. Maybe in 8 years I'll push for 95/5 for another 0.25%. I suppose when my kids can't afford a house they can head up to live in a man camp in Wiliston. I hear housing is super reasonable.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Show me my “empty threats in a real conversations.”

The facts are non res are losing a bigger percentage of opportunity in every state except Colorado, than residents are. And I believe that’s coming also.

Non res are expected to keep donating to orgs, send letters on every issue, donate to corner crossing, etc.

Western state’s populations are booming from people moving in. Property costs are soaring. Winter range is getting lost. Property taxes are going way up. All those are facts. Not threats.

Quit trying to be Buzz and twist what posters type.
Yeah, Wyoming is booming...heard on the news last night Cheyenne's population decreased last year.

Laramie did get a Jersey Mikes and a Sportsman's Warehouse in the past 2 years boomtown! The population in Laramie is 32,000 when I moved here 22 years ago it was 28,000.

A whopping 4000 people in 22 years...."booming" isn't quite the word I would use.

Carry on with the nonsense.

Oh, and when you all wait to retire to move here, good luck with that. I mean I understand retirement goals, I have them too.

Mine are different than most though...its killing 100 elk before I fill out my paperwork, and I'm right on track to reach that goal in the next 6-7 years. Could retire in less than 3 years, but really like my job, so no reason for that.

Last elk of the fall for me last year was pretty memorable...80th elk on the 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor:

IMG_20211207_143656066_HDR.jpg

Good luck with the retirement and moving to Wyoming...you'll be careers worth of years too late.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I personally think they should completely separate private land outfitters who do nothing but hold a key to the gate to provide not much more than a chance to pull the trigger and public land outfitters who not only work their asses off for real during hunting season but also spend money and work year round mending gear and feeding livestock and paying vet bills to provide a quality experience in God’s country for a lot less money. Those private land tags should have no affect on public land hunting be it outfitted or diy.
Do you even know any private land outfitters? I do, and they have working cattle ranches, have kids in local schools, and work their asses off year round. "do nothing but hold a key to the gate" - yeah, right.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Lol you got me. I’m crying a river about something that will benefit me. If I’m crying they are tears of joy.

And I also gave the best advice to non res in this thread. I personally don’t care anymore what western states do. The writing is on the wall you better be a resident or you will get screwed. Every non res needs to open their eyes. It’s blatantly obvious.

Even residents better watch out. Curious how easy it is to get private access now? How much winter range is getting lost to developments every year? How easy is it for kids to buy a house where they grew up? These aren’t questions for you BH. Just rhetorical questions I think about when I see the rapid growth in western states, and see residents bitching about not being able to afford housing and property taxes.
You do know that giving advice to people who don't ask for it is just an exercise in futility, right?

After a little digging around (Btw, I never could find anything about anyone named Kyle menzsner or any other spelling close to that); this is what I think is behind the guide pool…

I don’t know where this number came from, but I read that approximately 25% of all NR tags are guided hunts. WOGA staunchly opposes reducing the number of NR elk & deer tags down to 90/10 b/c that will translate to about a 50% decrease in revenue from NR hunters. My assumption here is that they are attempting to get the WOGA on board with the 90/10 by allocating half of those tags thru guides. That way the guides won’t take a hit on income (and maybe even get a nice bump? I didn’t do the math); residents get their 90% of all the tags. Everybody wins and the bill can pass.

Except NR like me get absolutely screwed with less tags - and likely another large price increase (I’d expect all NR tags to cost what it does for a special soon). But nobody gives a shit about us b/c they have zero consequences from NR. No voice. No say. We fund the programs but we have no seat at the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i do understand your sentiments, but as bad as it is for us who don't live there, it's equally good for their residents who get to hunt their own home state every year, i personally put value on that even though it does me no good, putting myself in the shoes of a wyoming resident, i still think it's a net good.

again, don't expect my opinion to be a popular one, but i'm "pro resident opportunity" we choose where we live based on a lot of things, and i appreciate states that take care of their residents first.... especially when it means less money to the state and they still do it. loyalty in any form is less common daily..... i'm sure it's more political than my mind equates it to be, but it does seem from an outside perspective that the state has some loyalty to Wyoming residents..... the state i live in doesn't.......

Ak, and Wy seem to be the standouts for taking care of residents first.... there may be others in the midwest and east, but that's refreshing to me, even though it doesn't benefit me at all

Yeah, Wyoming is booming...heard on the news last night Cheyenne's population decreased last year.

Laramie did get a Jersey Mikes and a Sportsman's Warehouse in the past 2 years boomtown! The population in Laramie is 32,000 when I moved here 22 years ago it was 28,000.

A whopping 4000 people in 22 years...."booming" isn't quite the word I would use.

Oh, and when you all wait to retire to move here, good luck with that. I mean I understand retirement goals, I have them too.

Mine are different than most though...its killing 100 elk before I fill out my paperwork, and I'm right on track to reach that goal in the next 6-7 years. Could retire in less than 3 years, but really like my job, so no reason for that.

Last elk of the fall for me last year was pretty memorable...80th elk on the 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor:

Good luck with the retirement and moving to Wyoming...you'll be careers worth of years too late.
Lol! The “Wyoming is too tough for you guys anyway, better not move here” shtick is getting old.

In 13 years I’ll retire at 49. Like most here my idea of “vacation” is running around the mountains with a 50 lb pack and a rifle.

I had a super nice 72 year old guy help me pack out an elk hind quarter five miles to the truck last fall.

I figure I’ll have at least 20 good years hunting in the mountains after retirement if I take care of myself.

But I better not move to WY, it’s just too tough to live there. I spent a career a Marine Combat Arms Officer, then an Army Officer then a Firefighter. But I won’t be able to hack living in WY in my 50s and 60s, a guy on the internet said so!🤣

BuzzH

WKR
Lol! The “Wyoming is too tough for you guys anyway, better not move here” shtick is getting old.

In 13 years I’ll retire at 49. Like most here my idea of “vacation” is running around the mountains with a 50 lb pack and a rifle.

I had a super nice 72 year old guy help me pack out an elk hind quarter five miles to the truck last fall.

I figure I’ll have at least 20 good years hunting in the mountains after retirement if I take care of myself.

But I better not move to WY, it’s just too tough to live there. I spent a career a Marine Combat Arms Officer, then an Army Officer then a Firefighter. But I won’t be able to hack living in WY in my 50s and 60s, a guy on the internet said so!🤣
You aren't killing a cool hundred elk in your 50's and 60's when (or even if) you make the move.

Oh, and this guy here that I've hunted with for the past 17 years, he shot this elk just a couple weeks shy of his 80th birthday, lived in Wyoming his whole life. He's shot somewhere between 60-70 elk as well, I've watched him kill a dozen or so.

He's no badass firefighter, just a retired Civil Engineer, but still active in the Civil Air Patrol and Search and Rescue.

Helped him apply for his Wyoming elk tags this week, I suspect there will be 3 more elk hanging in his garage this fall. Which is pretty amazing considering he doesn't wear Sitka gear, have alpha glass or shoot the lastest 6.5...

IMG_20211024_074134883.jpg

You aren't killing a cool hundred elk in your 50's and 60's when (or even if) you make the move.

Oh, and this guy here that I've hunted with for the past 17 years, he shot this elk just a couple weeks shy of his 80th birthday, lived in Wyoming his whole life. He's shot somewhere between 60-70 elk as well, I've watched him kill a dozen or so.

He's no badass firefighter, just a retired Civil Engineer, but still active in the Civil Air Patrol and Search and Rescue.

Helped him apply for his Wyoming elk tags this week, I suspect there will be 3 more elk hanging in his garage this fall. Which is pretty amazing considering he doesn't wear Sitka gear, have alpha glass or shoot the lastest 6.5...

IMG_20211024_074134883.jpg
That’s cool Buzz, seriously. I hope I’m that guy someday.

I’m no badass btw, just tired of hearing how great the hunting opportunities are, then getting told, as a guy who loves to hunt more than anything, “better not try moving here, you probably couldn’t hack it.”

Every place has its downside, whether it’s people, weather, economics, politics, crime etc. Pick your poison. If God willing I retire to the places I hope to, I sure as shit don’t expect it to be Florida.

Seems like we need more people who have the right mindset, that wildlife should be managed as a public resource, not less in WY.

If I were you, I’d much rather see roksliders moving in than wealthy costal types.

BuzzH

WKR
That’s cool Buzz, seriously. I hope I’m that guy someday.

I’m no badass btw, just tired of hearing how great the hunting opportunities are, then getting told, as a guy who loves to hunt more than anything, “better not try moving here, you probably couldn’t hack it.”

Every place has its downside, whether it’s people, weather, economics, etc. Pick your poison. If God willing I retire to the places I hope to, I sure as shit don’t expect it to be Florida.

Seems like we need more people who have the right mindset, wildlife being managed as a public resource, not less in WY.

If I were you, I’d much rather see roksliders moving in than wealthy costal types.
Move where you want I encourage it, only person getting in your way is you.

I moved from Montana because the hunting was headed downhill there, to a state that had more of what I wanted.

If you think the weather here isn't an issue, you'd be wrong. Even after living here for 22 years, the wind and snow in May gets old. Spend 3-4 days in relentless and sustained 30-40 MPH winds hunting elk, deer, or pronghorn and tell me it doesn't bother you. It does. Its brutal and last fall was particularly bad.

I took this picture off the back deck of the double wide 11 days ago...a day on either end was wind up to 75 MPH sustained at only about 25.

IMG_20220520_091507295.jpg

You actually believe West Coast types are going to move to Wyoming? Wow, just wow. I could care less where people come from when they move to another State, including Wyoming. This backward ass Banana Republic could use some new ideas.

Do you even know any private land outfitters? I do, and they have working cattle ranches, have kids in local schools, and work their asses off year round. "do nothing but hold a key to the gate" - yeah, right.
What does all of that have to do with actual outfitting? Yes I know private land outfitters. They don’t spend a month packing hay and gear into the mountains and two days of each hunt getting clients and food in and out. No finding firewood, chainsawing wood, bucking splitting and stacking wood to heat 10 tents for 3 1/2 months. No special all day rides to get elk into town. No feeding livestock all winter that doesn’t make a dime until fall. And no competing with the general public for game. I know plenty of every kind of outfitter including fly in. The time when a private land outfitter sweats most is when he says signs the check for the lease.

Last edited:
It’s not just the weather. There’s plenty of reasons people aren’t actually flocking here in droves. The level of available services are just not the same. Restaurants, bars, stores, movie theaters, even really good hospitals are few and far between. Sure some folks are moving here since they can work remote now. And yeah some of the trendier places are seeing a population influx, but I’d venture a guess that if the population went up 10% tomorrow, the percentage of those being hunters would only be… 2-3%. I don’t personally care if anyone moves here either, there’s plenty of room and it’s good for my property values.

Plus maybe that means we’ll get a decent grocery store eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
So it’s clear by the number of posts that nonres DIY/OYO hunters are concerned and upset with what is taking place with outfitter and nonres landowner potential tag alllcations in Wyo.

The question I ask is what are the best next steps since nonres have pretty much no voice with any members on the task force even though we stand the most to lose?

Is it wise to stand back and let these changes take place? Will voicing our concerns to task force members that aren’t backed by outfitters or landowners be worth a try? How about inundating the task forces with nonres concerns prior to the next meeting?

It certainly seems like it’s is worth a try rather than letting things fall through the cracks. Nonres have a lot of years plus pref pt fees tied up in Wyo.

BuzzH

WKR
So it’s clear by the number of posts that nonres DIY/OYO hunters are concerned and upset with what is taking place with outfitter and nonres landowner potential tag alllcations in Wyo.

The question I ask is what are the best next steps since nonres have pretty much no voice with any members on the task force even though we stand the most to lose?

Is it wise to stand back and let these changes take place? Will voicing our concerns to task force members that aren’t backed by outfitters or landowners be worth a try? How about inundating the task forces with nonres concerns prior to the next meeting?

It certainly seems like it’s is worth a try rather than letting things fall through the cracks. Nonres have a lot of years plus pref pt fees tied up in Wyo.
The task force isn't listening to anyone.

Write all you want but they have no authority to pass anything. They will make recommendations that go to the actual decision makers.

I'm going to spend my efforts talking to those that will make the decisions.

This task force is about the most unprofessional and poorly organized committees I've ever seen...from stem to stern.

Bighorner

WKR

I think sending in well thought out polit emails is a good start.

As a resident I am very much against the outfitter allocation. I see 90/10 as a peace offering to get it pushed through. Most of the guys I know that have been involved at the local level all feel DEA is at a reasonable allocation as it sits today and should stay where it is. We will voice out opinion as such.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider

WTF? Who posts a pic of a calf they killed?! Talk about LOW hanging fruit!!! Did you just walk out and stab that poor baby?

I would have never let my son shoot something like that even when he wa 12. Or... even when he wa 6 if he could have had a tag.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
WTF? Who posts a pic of a calf they killed?! Talk about LOW hanging fruit!!! Did you just walk out and stab that poor baby?

I would have never let my son shoot something like that even when he wa 12. Or... even when he wa 6 if he could have had a tag.
That's not a calf...but I've shot a few, 4 to be exact.

elkocd...laffin'

Elk are for eating, not being "ocd" about.

elkocd...laffin' still.

Last edited: