Wrist strap?

BigPaGuy

FNG
Does anyone still use a wrist strap on their bow, especially for bow hunting? For years I used one, but I just got a new bow and don’t miss trying to thread my hand through the strap every shot. I don’t feel like it is affecting my shooting either.

Just curious…

I’ve never put one on any bow I’ve ever owned. Never will. I always viewed it as a hunting rig first and never wanted to be burdened by one.

Bump79

WKR
I ditched mine a few years back. No gain that I could tell and as others said, one less thing to think about in the moment.

I've seen some lately with really small d loop type material. That might be OK as you could run with or without. But the bigger ones are a no go for me

Luked

WKR
Nope. Gave that thing up long long ago.
Really does not help at all in my opinion.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Wrist strap on the bow, for my bow hand? Yes, feels awkward and weird if I don't have one. Cheap insurance to not drop the bow, especially on a steep angled shot. I use one that holds its shape and is a fairly big loop, zero issues putting my hand through it easily. I can't stand shooting a bow without one and having to grab the grip during the shot.
Wrist strap for a handheld release? No.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. I quit using one probably a decade ago. I haven't felt like I'd drop the bow at any time, even steep down cliff shots.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
I have one. I like it. I have a really loose grip and don’t want to jump the shot and grab it, torquing the bow in the process. May be mental, but I’m leaving mine on.

Tick

WKR
I've always used an old shoestring after dropping my bow before. Has never been an inconvenience.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
These answers have me thinking that a lot of people in this thread grip their bows like this.

View attachment 747009
Nope, not here. But I see a lot of shooters in our store that do. I also see a lot of shooters that use a wrist strap, "try" to shoot with their hand open (because I have the strap so I don't drop it), and the second the release goes, they grab the shit out of their bow torquing it. I think wrist straps give a false sense of security. I also see them used really tight, still torquing the bow.

I shoot with my hand angled on the grip and rest my first two fingers on the front of the grip (pretty relaxed).

Agross

WKR
I’ve had one on every bow I’ve owned. I like it. Never shot a bow without one, maybe I should try on my next one.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using a wrist strap. I don’t like putting my fingers on the riser and for me, I shoot better with only the thumb pad and the webbing touching the riser. I also think my shoulder position is better when my fingers aren’t touching the back of the riser. When I have tried putting my fingers lose on the back my pin float is a lot worse. I do and others bows without a sling from time to time and it seams fine but I don’t want to get a habit of grabing the grip when I shot.

Tilzbow

WKR
I’ve used on for the past 15 years. Just got a new Hoyt Alpha X 33 earlier this year and chose not to use a wrist sling on the new bow. I was shooting the bow a day or two after picking it up with a new Carter Like Mike 2 release and the release failed at 3/4 draw. I punched myself in the face really hard, ended up with a split lip and bloody nose and without the wrist strap on the bow, the bow also bounced off the ground and broke the brand new quiver while scratching a limb and cam. Apparently I draw with an open hand and I know a shoot with a relaxed hand with closed fingers with little to no pressure on the front of the grip. Needless to say I’m going back to a wrist strap and the release was sent back to Carter for repair.

Zac

WKR
I wish I would have had one when I dropped my TRX off a cliff at Tac.