would you...

Rich M

WKR
Some companies offer sabbaticals. They let folks take say 3-6 months off every 5 yrs or so and have loyal employees.

With that experience, i always suggest folks work their butts off when young and aim for career advancement while they have energy. As you get older the energy slides but experience takes over.

Can you take a year off? Sure.

If you've been investing regularly and will be able to get a job quickly, the hit will be minimal. If you haven't been investing and aren't secure in finding employment again - the hit will be more.

No idea what you do, your life expectancy, medical history, or whatever. If you want to go play Grizzly Adams somewhere or if you are taking a year off to care for an elderly parent. Lots of factors at play, some are more worthy than others.

Good luck.

TaperPin

WKR
Despite how accepting a company says it is, many will screw you on the far end when you get back. If you’re important it’s a major pain in the rear to hire someone and not know if you’ll actually come back. Once the new guy is up and running, which cost the company money in lost productivity, you’ll come back and not know what the helll is going on, which also costs money. All this may be lost on the vacationing employee, but not on management. Old guys will hold it against you for as long as you work there - because you will probably do it again.

I knew a talented young assistant who was the ultimate employee - except he was a rock climber and every 6 months he would get the itch to live out of van like a hippy and climb every day. I warned him it was a professional death sentence, but he had to do it.

Fast forward two years and he called - we had a good time catching up and I was expecting him to ask for his job back. Nope. Turned out he met a hippy rock climbing girl who is the sole heir of her billionaire workaholic wallstreet father.

So I tell people to not do it, but 100% of the guys I know who have taken a sabitcal have married a cute billionaire girl and no longer have to work.

Lol

IDVortex

WKR
Yes. But can't afford it. But to be fair, if I took a year off, I also would then put more focus on either becoming a cop or see if I am smart enough to become a nurse and change my career path in that year being off.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plenty of Lineman out there that work 6-8 months out the year
Similar to nuclear outage workers, 3-6+ months, just depends how much you want...and depends on the craft

Add many loggers to the list. We used to enjoy "spring breakup" usually January—April; lots of ice fishing, coyote hunting and cribbage playing :D

Reactions: CMF

Tradchef

WKR
If you can do it why not. Or find something allows you to draw an income with time spent doing what you enjoy. Or start your own small business and set your own pace when you want.

go_deep

WKR
Despite how accepting a company says it is, many will screw you on the far end when you get back. If you’re important it’s a major pain in the rear to hire someone and not know if you’ll actually come back. Once the new guy is up and running, which cost the company money in lost productivity, you’ll come back and not know what the helll is going on, which also costs money. All this may be lost on the vacationing employee, but not on management. Old guys will hold it against you for as long as you work there - because you will probably do it again.

I knew a talented young assistant who was the ultimate employee - except he was a rock climber and every 6 months he would get the itch to live out of van like a hippy and climb every day. I warned him it was a professional death sentence, but he had to do it.

Fast forward two years and he called - we had a good time catching up and I was expecting him to ask for his job back. Nope. Turned out he met a hippy rock climbing girl who is the sole heir of her billionaire workaholic wallstreet father.

So I tell people to not do it, but 100% of the guys I know who have taken a sabitcal have married a cute billionaire girl and no longer have to work.

Lol

Would you please tell me not to do it!?!