Would you hunt with a cheap rifle?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
So my dilemma.. I haven’t rifle hunted in the past 10 years and always filled my tags with archery equipment. I picked my rifle up this year and just really enjoyed the heck out of roaming around with the rifle on my back.

Over the years I have built some history with a couple rifles, one being my dads and those are retired and set aside for my son. Last year I traded for a Browning AB3 in 6.5cm. Short compact gun and I figured itd be good to beat around with. Turned out to be the very best shooting gun I have ever owned.

My problem is I can not stand the thoughts having and building history with a gun that has a plastic trigger and trigger guard. So would you all buy a much higher quality gun in hopes it shoots as good as the cheapo? I do not reload and only shoot factory ammo. So far this Browning has shot 1/2-3/4” moa with all 4 diff types of ammo I’ve shot through it.

I can’t stand the thoughts of dropping a bunch of money on a gun and then it not shooting as good as a cheap gun. Then again I cant stand having a gun with a plastic trigger and gaurd… What would you guys do?

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend who has a little over 160 firearms. Half have never been shot. Those are the "expensive" & "pretty" rifles. When he hunts it is always with a plastic stocked (think Tikka), beat to hell, dinged up scope. Because he hunts with the ones that will shoot and he doesn't need to baby and the rest are safe queens.

Hunt with whatever you can shoot well and proficient and what you trust. Cheap / expensive / pretty / ugly be damned. Or, do whatever makes you happy.

Decades ago, well before anyone really knew much about them, I bought myself a cheap rifle. It has been my go to rifle since I bought it, for the vast majority of my hunts. It's a Tikka T3. If what you have functions well, is reliable, shoots well, and fits you well, stick with it.

I can’t stand the thoughts of dropping a bunch of money on a gun and then it not shooting as good as a cheap gun. Then again I cant stand having a gun with a plastic trigger and gaurd… What would you guys do?
I would (and do) hunt with the beater rifle. But for you, there is a simple solution: buy a wood stock and metal trigger guard and put it on your great-shooting Browning.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Go hit Midway or Brownells website and replace the plastic parts you don't like with metal items.
It's a firearm not a marriage - upgrade it as much and as often as your budget allows.

My cheapest rifles are my most used rifles.
Gimme a cheap shooter every time - I'll spend my money on quality optics and ammo.

JNDEER

WKR
I worked a part time gig for an old neighbor when I was in HS to save $300 and purchased a savage 7mm from Kmart!! Plastic stock and all.

Couldn’t tell you how many critters that rifle has taken out- never lets me down.

TheGDog

WKR
It's a HUNTING Rifle, not a safe queen. It's gonna get scratched and dinged and whatever else from actual field use. So heck yeah... if it's accurate and reliable, and not too heavy, that's all that matters out there.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely want to change the trigger and guard to all metal. I have limited knowledge about guns in general. The stock I'm pretty sure is a youth compact lol. It's a short handy rifle perfect for carrying around the mountains of Southeastern Ky and Tn. Would changing stock effect the accuracy of the rifle much?

I would and have hunted with a cheap gun. I wouldn’t hunt with cheap glass anymore though. The simmon days left more than a few deer giving me the white flag!
I wouldn’t touch the stock.

KenLee

WKR
Heck yes. I have no problem hunting with any rifle that I can shoot well.
Doing without $2500 binoculars and $2500 scope is tough after the change from using cheap glass for 40 years though.
Keep the rifle. Spend $ on glass.

Edit: that sounded a bit snobbish. I have $700 Accupoints and $800 V4 that I also use and am OK with, just not as satisfied. Going back to cheap glass on a regular basis would be painful.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
For me, I say buy the best you can afford. If you feel like your going to be rifle hunting more it'll be worth the extra expense. You don't have to go full custom or even semi custom to have a rifle that'll shoot. I'd tell you to upgrade the browning with some aftermarket parts to fix your worries but there isn't much support for them. I own a few custom rifles, semi custom and higher end factory rifles. The reason I went custom and semi custom is simply because I load for everything and wanted to take advantage of it. In your case, I'd look hard at a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT. Great back packer and is offered in several caliber choices. All of my CA rifles shoot under MOA, more so under 1/2 MOA. Even with factor ammo. They come with a pretty good trigger that's an easy upgrade if you want to do so, but 2.5 pounds is about ideal any ways for hunting.

I have spent several years killing with a $400 savage that shot great. They work for 75% of the hunters out there, but like rifles, I'm a huge bowhunter. I've killed a truck load of deer with entry level equipment, but after having top of the line bows and equipment I don't see me ever going backwards.

Rich M

WKR
I don't really care anymore. The modern guns can easily shoot an inch at 200. Plastic pieces or not. the machining tolerances are where they need to be.

If you want 1 gun that will be an heirloom, then spend the money.

Much of what we have going on is marketing and "you deserve this". If it makes you happy...