I want a 6.8 Western…but…

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Learned a lot from this.

Two things that ultimately ended up sticking with me: 1) The folks that have the 6.8W seem to love them, but the folks that don’t seem very polarized about the round as a whole. 2) You won’t be happy unless you get what you want.

Was able to spend some time with my son, and he emphasized #2. So that’s what I did.

Pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a Browning Mountain Pro Tungsten in 6.8 Western. Figured if I’m going to have one gun, it better be a damn good one. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a nice rig. I love Browning. I'm a fan of adding the mcarbo trigger spring and the Talley lightweight rings (they have the cerakote matched) and then you're ready to go. Good luck!

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a nice rig. I love Browning. I'm a fan of adding the mcarbo trigger spring and the Talley lightweight rings (they have the cerakote matched) and then you're ready to go. Good luck!

Added the MCarbo spring on your recommendation. Thanks!

Taudisio

WKR

Two things that ultimately ended up sticking with me: 1) The folks that have the 6.8W seem to love them, but the folks that don’t seem very polarized about the round as a whole. 2) You won’t be happy unless you get what you want.

Was able to spend some time with my son, and he emphasized #2. So that’s what I did.

Pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a Browning Mountain Pro Tungsten in 6.8 Western. Figured if I’m going to have one gun, it better be a damn good one. Thanks all!

I don’t have an x-bolt, but I would be happy with that as my only hunting gun! If I were you, I would try to hang out with a friend who reloads and see if he will help you make some loads. I do it for a buddy now and most reloaders are more than willing to help.

Reloading will take the rifle/cartridge to the next level, think of it like making custom and tuned arrows to your bow. Of course the factory stuff works, and can be 95% as good. Good luck on your hunting adventures!

gerry35

WKR
Thanks! I’m excited! Found a stupid good deal on Gun Broker. Paid similar price as a Browning Speed.

On the Facebook 6.8 Western sites I'm on (there's two I know of) the Browning 175 gr Sierra TGK factory load is the most accurate on average in a variety of guns. I handload that bullet and it was easy to get excellent accuracy with it. My custom Tikka hates the Winchester 165 gr ABLR factory load but other guys have had it shoot well. Mine likes the 162 gr Copper impact. The 170 gr Winchester power point rarely shoots well. The 170 gr Ballistic Silvertip factory load is often really accurate too. Hope you update this and let us know how it shoots!

jgraff08

FNG
On the Facebook 6.8 Western sites I'm on (there's two I know of) the Browning 175 gr Sierra TGK factory load is the most accurate on average in a variety of guns. I handload that bullet and it was easy to get excellent accuracy with it. My custom Tikka hates the Winchester 165 gr ABLR factory load but other guys have had it shoot well. Mine likes the 162 gr Copper impact. The 170 gr Winchester power point rarely shoots well. The 170 gr Ballistic Silvertip factory load is often really accurate too. Hope you update this and let us know how it shoots!
I don't understand the power point like heres a fancy new cartridge for fancy new hi bc bullets but were gonna put a flat base in it wtf

gerry35

WKR
I don't understand the power point like heres a fancy new cartridge for fancy new hi bc bullets but were gonna put a flat base in it wtf
It was supposed to be an inexpensive load kind of like the Hornady Interlock factory loads (American Whitetail?) they put out bit for some reason they screwed that load up. Hopefully the Browning 170 gr plated is better in that inexpensive category. All the rest of the loads are decent but the Browning 175's always seem to shoot well followed by the 170 gr Ballistic Silvertip. The uncoated 170 gr Ballistic Tip Shoots well in my handloads.

jgraff08

FNG
It was supposed to be an inexpensive load kind of like the Hornady Interlock factory loads (American Whitetail?) they put out bit for some reason they screwed that load up. Hopefully the Browning 170 gr plated is better in that inexpensive category. All the rest of the loads are decent but the Browning 175's always seem to shoot well followed by the 170 gr Ballistic Silvertip. The uncoated 170 gr Ballistic Tip Shoots well in my handloads.
Isnt there a sierra match 170 too?

Byrdman

FNG
I understand the factory 165ablr not shooting well. I have been loading it on my fast twist browning 270 and it has been a fussy bullet to get to shoot well. If it that fussy hand loading I could see a lot of guns not liking the factory loaded stuff.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
…not at all a gun guy. But I need to start expanding season/success opportunities by adding a rifle and muzzy. Always wanted a Browning, and I’ve been smitten with the 6.8 Western.

Not completely sold on the 6.8 Western seriously catching on, even though it’s consistently gaining ground year after year, so I’d want to be able to switch calibers down the road…carbon Sendaro barrel…new stock. Basically would like to be able to build this into what I want if the 6.8W becomes irrelevant. But having a tough time finding aftermarket Browning compatible options. Is it a R700? Is it its own thing? I know these answers exist online and likely within this forum, but I’m having a tough time finding what I’m looking for.

I know the easy answer is to just pick something different right from the start, but I don’t want to. So there! Appreciate the help from the experts.

Just get a nice 30-06 or something.

06 SB

FNG
I hope you take this as constructive criticism…

In reading your posts in this thread, I think the 6.8West is not the right cartridge for you. By your own admission, you are recoil averse and not a gun guy. Your maximum range of 500yards is too far IMO. Targets get real small at that range and wind is difficult to judge without experience. Rangefinders and Hornady's 4DOF will get your vertical information but horizontal is all about the wind. The only way to get used to judging wind is to shoot a lot at longer ranges. If you are recoil averse, and shoot a higher recoiling cartridge you will not want to practice enough. 300yards is more realistic IMO.

The cartridges I recommend are a 7mm-08, or a 6.5CM. There are plenty of loadings for them. They are all lighter recoiling and will be plenty for out west with virtually any hunting style bullet. Get one of these and once you become comfortable, then consider a 6.8West. I do agree with you on the 6.8 West as being a cool cartridge. I want one too!

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider

Good choice that rifle is a beauty! Choice Ammunition sells 6.8 Western ammo to give you a few more options.

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Was able to pick it up yesterday. Swapped out trigger spring with M-Carbo. Browning rings/rail. Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50i should show up this afternoon!
cedd38b4cf0be4147387fb53a8732f00.jpg

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
How's it shoot?

Haven’t had a chance to get to a range yet. Not too many public ranges in my immediate area, but hopefully get onto the Quantico rifle range soon. Besides not having shot it yet, I like everything about it so far!