Would you buy this scope?

Dave0317

WKR
$1500 for 12x on the top end, no illumination? It better have damn good glass, turrets, reticle and be bomb proof reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sounds like that’s exactly what they intend. Do away with all the frills, bells, whistles, and make it a simple system that is exceptional for precisely shooting animals.

If you want a higher top end mag, illumination, etc., all that is already out there. What doesn’t exist is a scope exactly as the OP described.

I think that is also why some expect it to cost closer to the $1000 mark. A 3 or 4 multiple erector should be cheaper to include, that’s an old proven element, compared to the 6 or 8 multiple erectors that are becoming the trend now (which negatively affects other usability characteristics, like eye box). The reticle will also be simpler than many on the market now. If they can measure a half mil, they can make us a good reticle. No need to pay Horus to grow another Christmas tree.

Even if it is a hair over the cost of the Maven, I think plenty would like this feature set better.

If the cost is higher than expected, I think they would do well to make a good fixed power to accompany it. Then they could have maybe a $500 6x, that outperforms the SWFA, and the 3-12x that would compete with the Mavens & Nightforces.

WKR
Sounds like that’s exactly what they intend. Do away with all the frills, bells, whistles, and make it a simple system that is exceptional for precisely shooting animals.

If you want a higher top end mag, illumination, etc., all that is already out there. What doesn’t exist is a scope exactly as the OP described.

I think that is also why some expect it to cost closer to the $1000 mark. A 3 or 4 multiple erector should be cheaper to include, that’s an old proven element, compared to the 6 or 8 multiple erectors that are becoming the trend now (which negatively affects other usability characteristics, like eye box). The reticle will also be simpler than many on the market now. If they can measure a half mil, they can make us a good reticle. No need to pay Horus to grow another Christmas tree.

Even if it is a hair over the cost of the Maven, I think plenty would like this feature set better.

If the cost is higher than expected, I think they would do well to make a good fixed power to accompany it. Then they could have maybe a $500 6x, that outperforms the SWFA, and the 3-12x that would compete with the Mavens & Nightforces.
This is how I envision it, as well. Like the swfa 3-9, but

-update the turrets with zero stop and capped windage,
-improve the reticle for a more hunting focused use,
-3-12 power for a little more zoom,
-not so stiff zoom, or zoom ring with something to grip,
-keep weight under 20 ounces

If I'm on the right track with what they are thinking, I'd definitely be interested. And I think many more would be, as well. I could be way off.

My swfa 3-9 might be my favorite scope, but if I could change it, I'd change it exactly as they propose, pending reticle design, so I might just be reading into it what I want to read.

Last edited:

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don’t understand the obsession with how turrets feel? I’ve had a tangent theta, ZCO & all of the below. I couldn’t care less how they feel. They could have no feeling at all, I don’t count clicks. I could be wrong here, I just seems like a weird thing to obsess over

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
The SB Klassic 3-12 is what turrets should be like.
Knowing nothing about optic and erector design, I would have to imagine that that turret can be so small because there is such limited available adjustment. I'd like to know though.

atmat

WKR
Knowing nothing about optic and erector design, I would have to imagine that that turret can be so small because there is such limited available adjustment. I'd like to know though.
I dunno enough on the mechanicals to speculate. It didn’t increase in size when it went from 3.2 to 4.8 mils, though.

Also, their windage is tiny and capped, too.