Would you buy this scope?

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe my reading comprehension is off, but the following are from Ryan's initial post:

Consistently holds zero through 3-foot drops and 3,000 rounds of constant use.
Seems to me this probably has already happened.

The reticle is specially designed for 25 to 600 yards, with bold outer posts and correct center aiming references.
"Reticle IS" Seems to me it is already designed.

I may be way off, but a year ago I thought there was no way an entity in no way affiliated with a stock company could single handedly bring to market a stock not designed by corporate engineers and bean counters. At any rate none of this is for me or anyone else to worry about. The question was "Would you buy this scope?" Not " Can this scope be made?" or " Do you want a scope nothing like the one listed in the OP?"
I would like to buy a scope like in the OP, heck I'd even just Iike to be able to find a used LRHS/LRST.

But realistically the only way this is happening in less than 12 months is with an existing base model, and as far as I'm aware nothing meets all of the specs in the original post.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Br.

BR:

I apologize for not explaining the point I was trying to make more clearly. The reference to the Maven/Weaver 2-10 wasn't in the context that it's an available contender for manipulating to fit the OP; instead, it was a reference to a scope model that was available from one brand and substantially the same as a model now offered under another brand. By extension, I was pointing out that the design process to get a scope that meets the OP need not be from the ground up when the 3-12 LRHS was LOW built, hasn't been offered for some time under any brand, and would be exceedingly close to what the OP stated. Weight is a couple of ounces off, but I'd bet that an updated LRHS with a better reticle would sell and, like others, I'll point to how popular the Maven RS1.2 is.
You are right, the LRHS/LRTS is the closest thing ad the best chance of this happening.

However it doesn't meet the weight spec and I think that's one of the major sticking points with most people, otherwise they'd just buy the Maven 2.5-15.

It'll be interesting to see if this idea goes anywhere, but I know of a few people who have tried tried to do something similar to this and found it is exceedingly difficult.
Doing something like GAP did with the LRHS2, or Gun Werks with the Mark 5hd is likely the best way to go about this.

SloppyJ

WKR
If I could be convinced that it's better than my NX8s then yes. Better in other aspects besides weight. I'll happily pay the weight penalty for reliability.

I would say it's going to have to come in equal to or under the $1200 price point to make it successful and even that's pushing it. I imagine it's going to be a brand that no one is going to know. Thinking out loud, if you get one and want to resell it, there won't be a market for it outside of rokslide.

If you could make an illumination pattern that's actually beneficial at first and last light that would be a big selling point. I'm thinking something like the firedot style. I've yet to see a reticle that's illuminated in full that doesn't blow out my vision at low light. The CF2D from nightforce is cool too but I didn't have a chance to test it in the woods because I switched to FFP. I'd prioritize illumination of the main aiming point over any sort of drop info. If this can't be accomplished, don't even offer illumination and pass the savings to the consumer.

If the reticle is completely usable on minimum magnification, that would be a huge selling point.

Capped windage at a minimum but a locking low profile turret would be a bonus.

Locking elevation turret that is somewhat low profile would be another way to best the NX8. I haven't had an issue with this on my NX8s but it's a Murphy's law type of deal.

Lastly, an extremely forgiving eyebox would be the icing on the cake.

I agree that I would prefer a 6x magnification multiplier so a 3x18 or more would be nice. The extra magnification is great for load dev and even checking animals in the field while you're on the rifle. However, if all other items I mentioned were completely nailed, I don't think I'd hesitate on a 3x15. 12 on the high end is where I start to waiver.

Not sure who agrees or disagrees, these are just my thoughts.

ElPollo

WKR
Scope specs:

FFP 3-12x40 to 3-12x44mm

Consistently holds zero through 3-foot drops and 3,000 rounds of constant use.

The reticle is specially designed for 25 to 600 yards, with bold outer posts and correct center aiming references.

Zero Stop

Low profile top turret.

Capped windage.

Large eye box

Good glass

20oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. I’m in. Probably a couple. For what you are describing, 20 oz and reliable. Hell yeah. Don’t need illumination. Don’t need and 18x or 24x top end. Don’t need a stupid tree reticle.

Last edited:

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
All:

It’s a serious question from Ryan. This is not just a feeler post. No presale or other nonsense.

If a 3-12x40’ish mil/mil scope was offered that was consistently reliable and durable, was tested heavily, had multiple reticles that were truly usable/visible from 3-12x, a good/great eyebox and DOF, low profile zero stop elevation and capped windage; and was under $1,500- would you buy it?
Absolutely yes

JohnB

WKR
I could likely be interested in one. I've been waiting for an RS1.2 in mils to stay in stock long enough to go on sale but a lower power and lighter option is more appealing to me. For me my acceptable price is <$1,000 and preferably cheaper than that.
That said, and this is going to be a bit blunt but I would want to see this scope marketed and sold by a reputable optics company rather than another UM developed project. I would like to try and potentially purchase a Rokstock but the preorder delays and first version QA/QC issues mean that I would not be interested in buying one of these scopes in year 1 if it follows a similar trajectory to the Rokstock. And please keep in mind when I say that that I am saving my pennies and fully planning on buying a Rokstock once production is back on and with a more known ETA.

Last edited:
Yes
20 oz doing all it’s described to has been the scope quest since the inception of Rokslide. Some come close but none quite hit.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Depends on where it is made to be honest.
And would prefer a 2-12 range but 3-12 would be doable. I do like the 20oz part.
If I had two exact rifles setup with the same two scopes. One at 2 power and one at 3 power, focused in on a 10” target at 100 yards, you would see nearly zero distinguishable difference between them.

All:

It’s a serious question from Ryan. This is not just a feeler post. No presale or other nonsense.

If a 3-12x40’ish mil/mil scope was offered that was consistently reliable and durable, was tested heavily, had multiple reticles that were truly usable/visible from 3-12x, a good/great eyebox and DOF, low profile zero stop elevation and capped windage; and was under $1,500- would you buy it?
With this information I’m in for 2.

Luvda208

FNG
That's what binoculars and spotting scopes are for.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Until you have 8 bucks nervously milling in a group at 400 and your trying to pick out the best one without shooting something too big. But thanks for the advice.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely would purchase this, as long as the reticle was at least as good as SWFA. Have not looked through a Maven personally, but all seem to like the reticle. I have a 3-12 LRHS, and the reticle is not good to me in the woods, not bold enough to my eyes.

I would want to know how well it performs between 25-30 minutes after sunset, under cloudy skies, under a canopy. I'd almost certainly want light in the reticle.

Yes definitely but only if I can get it here in Australia. Realistically, I think anything below 4x is pointless for 99% of applications. I'd be happy if it was just a better 4-16 ATACR.

Grundy53

WKR
You are right, the LRHS/LRTS is the closest thing ad the best chance of this happening.

However it doesn't meet the weight spec and I think that's one of the major sticking points with most people, otherwise they'd just buy the Maven 2.5-15.

It'll be interesting to see if this idea goes anywhere, but I know of a few people who have tried tried to do something similar to this and found it is exceedingly difficult.
Doing something like GAP did with the LRHS2, or Gun Werks with the Mark 5hd is likely the best way to go about this.

Except you can't get a Maven 2.5-15.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I would probably buy one as I have been interested in getting the Maven but availability has been a problem. If I like it I would pick up a second. Need to keep my rifles matching.