Work Truck - Lots of Idling

Started a new business recently and am going to need to purchase a truck that will essentially function as a mobile office on a job site. This truck is going to spend the majority of it’s life driving about 100 yards and then idling for long periods of time (multiple hour stretches).

Thinking of getting a half ton, but could be a mid-size or 3/4 ton. Not sure which direction to go with this. Make/model? Diesel? Gas?

Budget is around $30k

CorbLand

WKR
Idle is rough on diesels. They need to work. The emissions systems are taxed by idle hours if they don't get to pull hard in between.

If you can handle a pre def or deleted truck....diesel makes sense. If not, I'd go gas.
Work for a large institution that many of the vehicles dont see long distance of driving. Your talking 10 year old vehicles that have 25000-30000 miles. We are largely phasing out diesels for this exact reason. Short drive time and the new emissions systems dont work well together.

svivian

WKR
New diesels and idling are a no go. Any reason you can just get a small utility trailer and generator to hook up behind a truck?

TSimons9

FNG
As much as I’m not a Chevy guy, my last job had a fleet of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy’s and they did this exact thing. Rarely had anyone with truck issues and that’s idling in the Southern AZ heat with AC on full blast blowing ice cold air. My truck was a 2018 1/2 ton and it was really nice as a jobsite office.

SloppyJ

WKR
We have quite a few crew trucks at work that meet this criteria. We've had issues with the 5.7 dodge motors and the high idle time. I only have 3 for my team. 2 dodge and one 1/2 ton chevy diesel. Not sure I'd recommend either if those. Maybe try to find an older 5.7 Tundra. They're pretty bullet proof.

I worked for a state Agency whose trucks had a ton of idle time and an 8 year life cycle. I’m a Chevy guy, but the 6.2 gas v8 ford f-250s and 350s were the only trucks that thrived in that environment. The last generation Gm’s with 5.3’s needed motors around 100k, everything diesel was discouraged from idling as previously mentioned.

If you’re never going to tow anything a 1/2 ton will be just fine and you might get a little more for your money. A lot of idle time is going to be rough on all engines but I’d avoid the newer diesels as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avoid the diesel if there will be a lot idle time!!!

This.

Why exactly do you need lots of idling time? I idle a lot when I push snow, but I try to get 30 minutes of highway speed to assist with DPF cleanout. I'm toying with a delete simply because of this.

OP
RuggedYogi
This.

Why exactly do you need lots of idling time? I idle a lot when I push snow, but I try to get 30 minutes of highway speed to assist with DPF cleanout. I'm toying with a delete simply because of this.
The truck will be used as a mobile office for a superintendent at a maritime facility. It gets hot in the summer, so he’ll be sitting in the truck with the AC running from June through October. Idling won’t be as important in the winter and spring.

Any vehicle (truck or otherwise) can serve as a mobile, climate-controlled office...I wouldn't let that particular functionality be the primary factor in the decision. What else does the vehicle need to be able to do? If heavy towing/hauling is not part of the job, there's no sense in going larger than a half-ton chassis or choosing a plus-sized engine option. If the ability to carry multiple passengers isn't needed, a regular cab will work fine and will save money compared to extended/crew cab models.

Weldor

WKR
Agree, the new Diesel's are a no go. Cummins even has a bulletin about idle time and soot build up. That said, I had a 03 Chevy fleet flat bed set up as a weld platform. Basic trim package nothing special. 6.0 gasser. It idled in AZ heat for 17 yrs I had it never overheated. Tranny temp would go up from no air flow otherwise zero issues. I think it had 23000 when I left it. Not a chevy guy but this one seemed to be ok. It did smell like burnt oil from day one, that never changed and it had no leaks.