Ford vs Chevy (and GMC, I guess)

Rich M

WKR
This is worth what you are paying for it.

We have a small fleet of about 20 4x4 pickups for field work vehicles - originally had Chevy but they were pricey to buy and maintain. Ford was less costly out of the gate but maintenance and longevity was an issue - we had to get rid of them before 160-180,000 miles or maintenance was a big expense. Sometimes earlier. These are driven by employees - they abuse & neglect the trucks - simple maintenance of synthetic oil change every 10K w tire rotation - other stuff when and as necessary.

You are seeing this with those 150K mile trucks in the Autotrader. They buy the trucks new, put 150K on em and trade em in - before the trucks start costing the company money.

Our company tried Toyota and now have all Toyota trucks. Knocking on wood, none of the Toyotas have had a significant maintenance issue (transmission, drive train, cooling, 4-wheel drive components, etc.) and some of our trucks are north of 200K miles and 12 yrs old. We are not cycling them out anymore due to the cost and difficulty of finding Tundras in stock - drive em til they drop or get expensive to maintain mentality right now. Waiting to see how far they will go.

The Nissan we had was beat to heck and and would overheat but over 200K - we traded it in for a Toyota.

The company focus on our trucks and heavy equipment is purely from a does it run and how long will it last perspective - It's not about looks or brand names, if the Toyotas start breaking down prematurely, we'll evaluate the cost of ownership and switch to whatever doesn't cost as much.

For a half ton, go Ford all day. 3/4 ton gas can be either. If you can get the GM 6.0 you will be happy. Ford is a good truck in either.

Idk about other folks but I love my 2018 f150, it has had literally zero issues and I have the 10 speed with the 2.7l. Got it new and just hit 80k recently
The 2.7 is a solid choice I think in all the years and has very consistent reliability. At one point ford's most reliable engine in current production, might still be.

I'm a Ford guy and love to hear people have zero issues. I'm glad you've had that many miles issue free and I hope you go 180k or even 280k with oil changes and minor repairs. Give you something to brag to toyota guys about lol

From what I've gathered is that the early 2018 5.0 and the 10spd have had some problems. There was a lot of 5.0 that due to the redesign would consume loads of oil before the first oil change. (This happened to my uncles brand new work truck) Not sure of the exact issue but was definitely a problem.
The 10spd transmissions had slippage issues on trucks with very low mileage as well. (Two guys I work with ordered 2018 when they first came out and one was remedied other was a total replacement under warranty)
This was very early release, 2018's in summer/fall 2017. First runs on the model year changes. Quality picked up and they addressed a lot of the issues by 2018's made in 2018.
Nothing really wrong with 2018's just have to know the specifics of what to look for, especially buying used. Even then you can still get burned.

The 6spd is more personal preference and known reliability.

I try to stay away from first year model changes and look for the end of a model generation. I feel most of the bugs have been worked out and quality can be at its peak. Doesn't always happen though.