Wolf attack

GregB

WKR
A few years ago I was talking to a guy who hunted and backpacked in the same part of the Frank church as me. He told me one night he woke up to a pack of wolves in his camp and one was pressing its nose into the side of his tent. The tent now has a .44" hole in the side, some how the wolf got away.

SPC

FNG
I'm sure it is the responsibility of the parks department and fish and game to euthanize any predators that attack people in the boundaries of a national park. Still, I would not want to go camping out in the woods with out a firearm close by.

It's amazing how they can confirm DNA samples instantly when they kill an animal to confirm they killed the right critter. But it takes years to do a DNA sample on a rape or murder. Things that make you go hummmmmm.

There are a lot more things involved when you’re trying a human, like the whole litigation process, appeals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
This is the type of thing that makes me wonder...if I were the dad in the tent, would I rather have a stranger with pistol start shooting, or with bear spray and start spraying? And, if I were the dad in the tent, would I rather have a pistol to start shooting or bear spray?

I think I'd rather have the stranger have bear spray...all things considered, I think me and my children would be more likely to survive a wolf mauling than an accidental shooting. I think I'd rather have the handgun...perhaps there's a good chance a hungry wolf could shake off a good does of bear spray.

Either way, a terrifying situation, thanks for posting.

On 2 separate trips I've awakened to find my camp area was visited by wolves overnight. I found tracks in the snow just on the edge of camp. Invariably one set of tracks would deviate from the general line of travel and head toward my tent. I could see where they stopped and looked things over before deciding to move on.
3h3xEv8l.jpg

Though I have no proof of what wolves might do, I can attest that a coyote is a different animal in the night. They'll go places and investigate things they'd have nothing to do with in broad daylight. They'll come very close to a home and look for opportunities. I suspect the same general thing may be true of wolves....braver and more pushy at night if they sense an opportunity.

They say to never turn your back on the ocean, because that's when a rogue wave will get you. I'm the same way with wolves. No fear....but I'll never assume they're incapable of causing me harm. Their brains are amazing.

It's amazing how they can confirm DNA samples instantly when they kill an animal to confirm they killed the right critter. But it takes years to do a DNA sample on a rape or murder. Things that make you go hummmmmm.
Human data tends to be analyzed via older methods such as short tandem repeats and mitochondrial DNA analysis. Though there is a concentrated effort to move towards using next-generation sequencing data (microhaplotypes for example) in human samples. Also litigation tends to stall pretty much everything in a criminal investigation, especially anything science related.

Animal data could be analyzed by really any method that works, instead of one that needs to hold up 100% in court. Probably some low coverage whole genome sequence analysis. Maybe using Oxford Nanopore if they're really keeping it cheap and mobile for doing it in the field. If the wrong wolf gets killed it's not as big of a deal as sending someone innocent to prison.

Scrappy

WKR
There are a lot more things involved when you’re trying a human, like the whole litigation process, appeals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or they are just saying its confirmed by dna to keep the bunny huggers from screaming about poor innocent fluffy.😀

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
What is that, like the 5th wolf attack in North America in all the time white people have lived here? I'm not super worried. Of course, I have a couple guns along as a rule...

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
What is that, like the 5th wolf attack in North America in all the time white people have lived here? I'm not super worried. Of course, I have a couple guns along as a rule...

They say that the reason there haven't been even more is the wolves had been hunted so they learned to stay away from humans. Now that they are coming back, expect more attacks to happen as they become used to people. They may develope a taste for unarmed naïve folks. Especially when all the game is gone.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. I'm still not very worried even though there are plenty of wolves here. Grizzlies concern me a bit more. In any event being aware and armed is prudent.

Human data tends to be analyzed via older methods such as short tandem repeats and mitochondrial DNA analysis. Though there is a concentrated effort to move towards using next-generation sequencing data (microhaplotypes for example) in human samples. Also litigation tends to stall pretty much everything in a criminal investigation, especially anything science related.

Animal data could be analyzed by really any method that works, instead of one that needs to hold up 100% in court. Probably some low coverage whole genome sequence analysis. Maybe using Oxford Nanopore if they're really keeping it cheap and mobile for doing it in the field. If the wrong wolf gets killed it's not as big of a deal as sending someone innocent to prison.

Nailed it. You could do this analysis at pretty much any university over a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I definitely believe in the "we used to hunt them and they learned to avoid us" perspective....at least with smarter critters. I often think of crows, which used to be hunted or shot pretty hard when I was a kid. When crows gained protected status and hunting them was banned (temporarily if I recall correctly) it didn't take long to see their behavior change. Crows would hop to the road edge and watch cars go past, then resume feeding. Crows coming to bird feeders and hanging around. Crows sitting on light posts and watching traffic. There was a time when you couldn't get within 75 yards of a crow without it evading.

Think about deer and ungulates in non-hunting areas. Think about bears the same way. These animals learn to avoid people through generations of being hunted or having other negative consequences. When a contact happens and nothing bad results, conditioning toward avoidance isn't reinforced. I can easily see this happening with highly intelligent wolves. In fact, I truly believe it's simply a matter of time until wolves (somewhere) are going to prey on a human or multiple people and consume them. It's almost bound to happen as we continue to accept them. They're going to accept us too....in ways we'd rather not think about.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, these numbskulls that intro'd wolves back into the US are going to be making all kinds of excuses.

IMO, this occurrence is fairly typical when you have predators the ARE TOTALLY PROTECTED and humans in close proximity. So many examples of this;
I've seen bears in the national parks walk right up and take food from backpackers. I've seen them bluff charge to get the backpacker away from their food so they could take it.

Lions attacking humans....again...in parks and areas where they are protected.

I've had coyotes run along side of me in the local state park.

We are conditioning these predators to not be afraid of humans....no surprise that there will be problems.