Wok & Cast Iron Pans

treillw

WKR
Want to start cooking with cast iron - have never done so. Also would like to start messing around with a wok.

Any suggestions on quality products?

Thanks!

psirus7

WKR
Lodge is a good price-point for made in the USA cast iron.

We run a Mauviel wok, which is expensive, requires constant seasoning, is heavy, but is high quality, has awesome heat retention, and will probably last forever.

psirus7

WKR
I'd go to an antique store. Clean an old one, get it seasoned.

I don't know what's different with a lodge, but they aren't the same to me. Not bad, but not like an old cast iron skillet either.
This is an excellent piece of advice. I would love to get my hands some older Griswold cast iron, but man are they expensive!!

I don't know what's different with a lodge, but they aren't the same to me. Not bad, but not like an old cast iron skillet either.

I like my Lodge pans. Takes a while to season them properly of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both a Cast Iron and Steel Wok and I prefer the Steel for Woks, it seems like they are easier for cooking on high heat and I like cast iron for lower heat applications. Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Ovens are great, but my favorite cast iron pan I found out in the woods, cleaned it, seasoned it, and still use it 10 years later.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I personally would take a look at one of the skillets from The Field Company. They’re more expensive, but appear to be of heirloom quality and if you read about them, they’ve done their research in order to learn how to make a skillet.

I've been told most all cast iron is the same when it comes out of the mold.
The difference is spent in the work afterwards.
So you can buy a cheap pan and sand it down to a smoother finish.
Haven't had the time to try it on my lodge pans yet.

cnelk

WKR
I only use cast iron skillets.
Be sure to grind the cooking surface smooth before seasoning. It will make it a nonstick surface.

Lots of videos on YouTube about this.

Once you’re ready to start using your cast iron, follow Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube for tips and tricks for cooking with cast iron.

mlgc20

WKR
3D61FAEF-E8E1-4892-832F-4978A19B5624.png

I was fortunate enough to get a couple of Griswold pans from my great grandmother. Both of them are from around 1910. I do about 90% of my pan cooking with cast iron. Lots of options on eBay. They can be expensive. But, are much better than the “modern“ cast iron brands IMO. And definitely agree with Cnelk about Cowboy Kent Rollins. His Southwest Philly Cheesesteak is one of my kids favorite meals.

Agross

WKR
Get an older Wagner or griswold. As mentioned they aren't cheap. My griswold is almost 100 yrs old, picked it up on eBay yrs ago and love it.

Pflum

FNG
Lodge work fine, even with the rougher surface. How they are used is the most important factor in how well they work. Older Wagner and Griswold are better, and lighter. I use my cast iron for everything except scrambled eggs. My favorite skillet is probably from the 50s, no name, only mark on the bottom is "8".

I have had the same Lodge pan for 25 years. The longer you use cast iron (if you treat it well) the better it gets.

If you can find an old cast iron pan in good shape, buy it, season it, and use it...

Watch some of the Cowboy Kent Rollins videos on YouTube for cast iron cooking and care...

TomJoad

WKR
I really hate the “buy once cry once” mantra but sometimes it’s true, this is one of those times.

Griswold is the way to go. Yes they are expensive but you only need a few and they are worth the money. I’ve been collecting them a long time. I had one hand me down from a grand parent and then found the remainders at thrift stores over the years before they were coveted and desirable. I lost a few in a divorce years ago and had to replace them at eBay market value. No hesitation, I was happy to fork over the dollars (maybe not happy, but totally worth it).

The reason they perform better is the post-machining along with the thickness, way thinner (and lighter) than lodge which makes them very nice to handle.

If you can only afford one get a #8 if you can get a #5 & #8. If you can afford more a #9 round griddle is excellent.

As for seasoning, I got turned on to flax seed oil about 10 years ago, real game changer

I use my cast iron for 90% of cooking operations, couldn’t live without it.

6818F2B0-8E13-402B-A590-847E4666E837.jpeg
554A9F4B-8859-4B03-821C-E7E53E7A75FC.jpeg

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Griswold cast iron is great if you can find it at a reasonable price--I am originally from PA and picked up a bunch at yard sales before it became a thing. As for the wok, I use and recommend a carbon steel wok--can get them cheap on Amazon. I have a 16 inch round bottom one and use it on my grill, in a campfire or on an outside burner to get it hotter than you can on a normal stove. It is a really useful piece of gear and fun way to cook.

I am not a power user but I do all my skillet work in a lodge or a greenpan. Lodge gets the call for searing and serious cooking. i looked into an upgrade a few years ago and came close to buying some pricier stuff but for $40 I dont think you will be disappointed with a lodge classic pan.

Give it another 30-50 years of constant use and the lodge will be there... 😉

We use our cast iron for almost everything, have for many many years. Nice to see it become "cool" again.

Pflum

FNG
If you don't mind doing the restoration yourself, you can get some good pans pretty cheap. Not hard, basically just wire wheel it and season it. Really no replacement for years of use and proper cleaning. Mine get hit with hot water and a scrubby sponge after use, and dry immediately. That's it.
Coolest piece I have is a Griswold waffle iron. I bought it rusted to hell and back for $20 if I remember right. Cleaned it up and works great.