Wok & Cast Iron Pans

I just scored a Wapak #7. Can’t wait to clean it up and try it out. Company was only in business from 1903-1924 so you know its a oldie.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old Lodge that I've had for a long time. About 4 years ago I decided to start using it. Through trial and error I found that just occasionally re-seasoning it on the stove with either shortening or olive oil keeps it pretty non stick. I felt I hit the pinnacle of seasoning when we used it to make candied yam, which involved carmelizing stuff and then baking it. It came right out and was still non stick.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Wagner is another solid option.. not as pricey as Griswold but better than Lodge.
If you can figure out how to season cast iron then non-cast iron pans become obsolete.
Clean w a stainless chainmail scrubber, let dry over some heat then add some oil.

JoeDirt

WKR
1. If you can find older pans that have a smooth finish, snatch em up.
2. Don’t ever wash them with soap.
3. Keep them oiled when they’re stored.
That’s it.

I’m 31 and the only frying pans we own are cast iron. Love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can wash with soap, that's an old wives tale. Soap will not hurt the seasoning but removes the oil. You'll need to oil after, i've even ran mine through the dishwasher without any issues.

def90

WKR
You can wash with soap, that's an old wives tale. Soap will not hurt the seasoning but removes the oil. You'll need to oil after, i've even ran mine through the dishwasher without any issues.

This! the old tale of not using soap comes from the days when Lye and other things were used in soap. Regular old dish soap and a non scratch pad is fine.

BBob

WKR
Wagner is another solid option.. not as pricey as Griswold but better than Lodge.
If you can figure out how to season cast iron then non-cast iron pans become obsolete.
Clean w a stainless chainmail scrubber, let dry over some heat then add some oil.
There are two Wagner, the old Wagner Ware and the more modern less desirable Wagner's

I’ve got a couple older frying pans, and a leg less Dutch oven. Recently got a lodge Dutch oven with legs for outside cooking.

I took an angle grinder with flap disc to the new Dutch oven and smoothed out all the rough spots, it was messy and took a while, but it is extremely smooth now and works great.

A tip that took embarrassingly long to sink in for me is to preheat your pan, I know millions of recipes call for this, but for some reason I never did it and I could get scrambled eggs to be stuck hard onto Teflon when starting with a cold pan, glad I’m smarted now. I cook scrambled eggs several times a week in my cast iron, I turn it on and let it preheat and melt a little bacon grease in it while I’m cracking eggs, pour them in and let them cook for a bit before starting to flip and break them up and they don’t stick at all now, just wipe the pan out when I’m done.

When something does get stuck on I like to just use really hot water and a long handled scrub brush to remove it.
What grit flap disc did you use? I want to smooth out some Lodge pans.

I’ve used a Wire cup brush with good results.

one I use the most is 1950s lodge sk10. Better Non-stick than our expensive Calphalon set and can go in the oven. I also have a nice condition Martin. It’s primo, real light and smooth but a size 8 is pretty small for me. I’m after a Griswold 12 now.

I don’t know. Everyone I know that has cooked with them their whole lives says not to wash them with soap. Can’t say it removes the seasoning but I’m sure it would cut through some of it. If you oil right after it would probably help for sure

robtattoo

WKR
I don’t know. Everyone I know that has cooked with them their whole lives says not to wash them with soap. Can’t say it removes the seasoning but I’m sure it would cut through some of it. If you oil right after it would probably help for sure

Honestly, you're fine. Once you have a few years of good, slick seasoning on there, a touch of Dawn & a green scrubby sponge isn't going to touch it. I've been using a 12" Lodge almost daily for 12 years & it's surface is like glass. It gets thrown in the sink with dawn every time now. I still have to chase fried eggs & pancakes to the side to get a spatula under them.
The real trick, above all else (imho) is to always use some oil or fat in the pan & pre-heat every time.

Mrcrosno

FNG
I have a Lodge that we have been using for a couple years now and after I clean it and then oil it I get a black residue on my paper towel, is that normal or is it not cleaned or not seasoned good enough?

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Dont think I 've seen it mentioned but I found on every brand and style cast iron I have used benefit from seasoning with flax seed oil. I sand or wire wheel smooth, then apply a light coating of flaxseed oil and heat in the gas grill outside. Bring it up to 425-450*, shut it off and let it drop in temp to the point where you can handle with bare hands. I do this once on all surfaces, then 4 more times on the cooking surface. The surface will be black, shiny, and perfectly smooth when done. And for you Blackstone griddle guys, use this same technique on your outdoor griddles for a unbelievable cooking surface. And as mentioned previously, always use some type of oil/grease to cook with and pre-heat surface. And yes, you can clean once it a while with soap and water without hurting anything at all.

I've been lucky enough to get some older pans and a couple pots from a step father in law. A couple wagners along with a BSR and a griswold. I have my original lodge from around 2000. It is good also. But I think for a new one I would sand down the surface, they are sure rough compared to the older ones.

tdot

WKR
I made the switch to Carbon Pans a few years ago and doubt I'll ever go back to cast iron. As far as I can tell they are superior in every way... except they aren't as good a story as something found and restored.

You can buy high quality new pans for $50-$100. There are a couple of French brands that I've settled on as my preferred brands. I've given my cast pans away.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I made the switch to Carbon Pans a few years ago and doubt I'll ever go back to cast iron. As far as I can tell they are superior in every way... except they aren't as good a story as something found and restored.

You can buy high quality new pans for $50-$100. There are a couple of French brands that I've settled on as my preferred brands. I've given my cast pans away.

What brands do you like?

Dawn is a de-greaser. I'm sure you can use it some, but the idea is to have grease in the pores of the pan. That's why you heat it to grease it.

tdot

WKR
What brands do you like?
Matfer Bourgeat and De Buyer

I couldn't tell you which one I prefer. They are both awesome.

The seasoning is good enough that I can cook scrambled eggs in them and they slide out. I can also deglaze a pan with a red wine and it doesn't ruin the seasoning.

Pgohil

WKR
Mother-in-law came through for me on Christmas big time! This is my first cast iron pieces, and I'm thankful for all the great information in this thread to help me get started right

The paperwork says they are preseasoned and ready to use, should I still sand them and re-season?

PGohil
WV

Attachments

• 20201228_182739.jpg
    20201228_182739.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 17

Grumman

WKR
Mother-in-law came through for me on Christmas big time! This is my first cast iron pieces, and I'm thankful for all the great information in this thread to help me get started right

The paperwork says they are preseasoned and ready to use, should I still sand them and re-season?

PGohil
WV

Definitely sand them down. Lookup Kent Rollins on YouTube to see how he does it. I redid mine last week and it made a huge difference.