Wire size to shop

Weldor

WKR
Do you have to run from your house? or is there a utility pole closer? I had a long run from a transformer to the shop. The electic company suggested to just put a new panel and meter on the shop versus sub panel. I dug the trench and they put the wire in from the transformer. It was a few feet shorter but way easier.

11boo

WKR
Do you have to run from your house? or is there a utility pole closer? I had a long run from a transformer to the shop. The electic company suggested to just put a new panel and meter on the shop versus sub panel. I dug the trench and they put the wire in from the transformer. It was a few feet shorter but way easier.
That would be the best way if possible. Price out 300+’ of wire and you’ll be shocked.
If not, the direct bury Al is next best. If the trench is Rocky invest in a few yards of sand and pad the wire with it.

And if you have never made a long wire pull like that in pvc don’t try it.

Last edited:
Clearly lots of different opinions in here. The bond wire term is what threw me, we call it a ground wire. Like mentioned, if it's not at the service entrance panel, the neutral and ground need to be separated.

300' + is a long pull to some, but not long to professionals. Pull box only needed if more than 4 90*'s imo. Flat strap, and a little rigging will make quick work of it.

Wire size needs to be 4/0 Al or 2/0 copper for that length of run. How you connect that wire is up to the guy doing the work. There are lots of ways to do it correctly without " hair cutting" the wire. ( larger breaker, correct crimps to reduce, upsizing disconnect or panel)

Great point.

OP, this could be your best option depending on where your existing transformer and meter are located relative to your shop and how much your electric company charges for new services. Electric companies often charge below cost on construction knowing they'll recoup their money over time via monthly meter fees and power bills.

tdhanses

WKR
Mighty Mouse is probably correct. This will cover most typical scenarios. Except I would not direct bury cable because I hate direct buried cable. It is cheap though, so fair enough.
But yeah, it depends on your load. That's a decently long run too, so you might want to upsize.
The code is pretty simple on this, so just calculate your load and select the corresponding wire size and conduit.
Why do you hate direct bury? Do you see the cable coatings failing?

Q child

WKR
Why do you hate direct bury? Do you see the cable coatings failing?
I do see them fail. I work for the power company in T&D though, so I see a lot more failed installations than most people. Also, you can't upgrade them. I have access to the people and equipment to pull a new run of cable through existing conduit though.
The OPs situation probably warrants direct buried cable. It just hurts my heart to say so.

Weldor

WKR
When they did mine, there was only conduit about 6 ft long. They just put in by the meter and panel plus by the tranformer. It was direct burial and that was the power co.