Shipping to a bow shop

Other than a press, what must have tools should I have on my list to get?
If you want to become a fully self-sufficient bow tech, the archery-specific tools I would recommend are:
  1. press
  2. draw board
  3. vice
  4. Bow Shop Bible app (to learn how to use the other tools)
An LCA EZ Green is the default entry-level bow press recommendation. It lacks some of the bells and whistles of fancier models but is fully capable of doing everything you need a press to do.

OP
K

Kwandog

FNG
Classified Approved
Awesome thank ya'll for the info and recommendations. I'll be looking into getting the tools listed

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I live 2 hours away from a reputable shop. Over the years, I've become friends with the owner and began communicating ahead of time that I would be coming in for the day. I would get pretty tuned up with shooting form, then he'd dial the bow in in between other customers. When he did i would watch like a hawk. When he worked on other people's bows i would hover and learn. I would go home for a couple weeks and feel confident shooting and do it again when I had a free day.

I've learned a TON from him and he's helped me get set up with an old press and at home shop. It's built a lot confidence in working on my bow.

I recommend setting some time aside to try to glean some knowledge off someone to are confident in.

nphunter

WKR
I wouldn’t be afraid to send your bow to a shop that will tune it. You will get it back very close to where it should be. You may have to make tiny adjustments to the rest but it will be 95% in tune if they know what they are doing.

I just tuned a bow for a buddy, it shot bullet holes through paper and a fixed and a field point within 2” of each other at 40. He may have to fine tune it to his group with the rest but it will be minimal. The bow is 29” draw and left handed. I shoot 27.5” and right handed. I’d put money on it that all he has to do is move the rest 1/16” less to be shooting fixed and FP together. If he’s not he needs to work on form issues not mess with the bow.

I agree to some extent that each person tuned different with the same bow. Honesty though it’s all within a very small window to actually do it correctly. If the arrow isn’t coming out almost in line with the powerstroke of the bow then things like down range accuracy and penetration will suffer.

I would never discourage someone from starting to learn to tune a bow and buy their own equipment but they need to understand how to properly tune one first. Learn how a bow is suppose to shoot and how how the arrow should come off of the bow. There is way more to it than watching a bare shaft hit a target or seeing a clean tear through paper. I can get a clean tear out of almost any bow within a few shots without even making an adjustment to the bow just by moving my hand around to manipulate the torque I’m applying to the grip.