Will Vehicle Prices Ever Decrease?

I don't remember what year it was but i loved it when my Taco had the oil filter at the top of the engine bay. Every truck should be like that!
My wife’s 2022 Subaru Ascent has the oil filter on top. It is upside down even to what I am used to but didn’t spill a drop changing it. Pretty cool to not have the oil running all down the filter when you start to loosen it.

That’s not completely true. If you are borrowing at a lower rate than your investment accounts it’s a different ballgame than if you are borrowing higher. .

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn, you did good. Typically there are no discounts on 2500 and up trucks since they make fewer of them than the 1500. Dealers are feeling some pain from the higher interest rates though. With Ford F450 you have to order them but some dealers self order them then sell them for an upcharge of 5-7K as it takes about 6 months if you order one. Not a whole lot of F450's get built as a full truck...most are chassis only. However, the horse, super-sized 5th wheel RV and construction guys like them.

Newsflash: The CARES Act ($2.2 trillion of made up funny money injected into the economy) was passed by a Republican majority Senate and signed by Trump.

Can we do the Dave Ramsey thing where you tell us how old you are and how much money you make and about your assets and debt?

Newsflash: my comments were in reference to the bull crap regulations being pushed to make everything more green…. Smaller engines, more batteries, restricted water flow in faucets, less water in washing machines (means more loads of laundry canceling out water savings), banning gas stoves, mandating electric cars, solar panels for powering cities (I saw how well that worked in my home state of Texas), windmills that will never pay for themselves and end up in land fills, etc, etc, etc…..

How much money my wife and I make is none of your damn business. Nor are our assets. And as far as debt…. Tiny mortgage and tiny auto loan. There are people with car notes higher than our mortgage….. my combined interest on home and auto is less than auto loans are today….

Other than that, ZERO. NADA. 4 or 5 credit cards with NOTHING!

Again, can we afford to buy brand new even with the current interest rates? Absolutely we can. Would it put a financial strain on us. Nope, not at all. But, I didn’t get into the financial situation that I’m in by making impulsive buying decisions, over paying, or maxing out my lines of credit….

So, can we do that thing where you apologize for trying to insult me as you puff your chest out looking down your nose with a feeling of being holier than thou?

Buy the pro with the v6 if you can get it for msrp, you’ll be in the black a long time on it.

I agree. That’s the plan. That pro already sold for 5k over and it’s not even at the lot yet.

giphy.gif

He's right from a purely mathematical standpoint, with several BIG caveats.
  1. Vehicle interest rates are like 8% right now for new, I'm not aware of a single investment option with a guaranteed return that beats that rate. Sure the market averages 11% but not guaranteed, especially over short stretches.
  2. You only come out money ahead if you buy the exact same vehicle you were going to pay cash for. Would you honestly even be considering a $60k TRD Pro 4R if you had to shell out the cash?
I'm heavily skewed as someone who only buys used vehicles for cash, with the most expensive one being $30k.

But I am not at all against debt for appreciating assets, and put my money where my mouth is with close to $1M currently of "good debt" on income-generating real estate.

Also, have you honestly self-reflected on why do you need the TRD Pro trim level?

CorbLand

WKR
Where are you guys seeing the 8-10% interest rates that have been stated in this? Most autoloans I have seen are in the low to mid 6s and you can get dealership loans on brand new for as low as 3%.

Quick look around yielded

Ford F150
84 month - 4.9%
60 month - 2.9%

Toyota Tacoma
72 month - 5.9%

Toyota Tundra
48 month - 2.9%
48 month - 1.9% on 2024 models

GMC Sierra
36 month - 0% on 2024 models

Last edited:

RyanT26

WKR
I would just like to know what mythical place you guys are finding all these pickups in decent to good condition for 20k.
I just did a quick search through Facebook marketplace and some of the more respectable used car dealers and that’s putting you in the range of 5 to 10-year-old pick up with 125,0000 to 160,000 miles on them.

So long as you can afford it, does anyone ever need to self-reflect on why they "need" anything? If you want a 100K truck and you can afford it, buy it. I can and I did. I'm tired of the Ramsey ways of looking at life. Did you know the majority of retirees that have retirement investments die with most of their money intact because they were afraid to spend it...they were afraid they might need that money next year.....thinking that year after year until they died with it all in the bank. They listen to clowns like Ramsey and that other lady clown that harps save, save and save...don't buy anything, you can't afford it....you need a 5 million dollar nest egg... (while they live in 10 million dollar mansions paid for by viewers). I say save what you need to for security and enjoy the rest. Life is fairly short. Either you enjoy that money you worked all your life for...or somebody else will.

Huckelfin

FNG
The debt vs cash debate is purely circumstantial, not everyone's philosophy will be the same. For interest rates, the opportunity cost to one person is wildly different to the next. Sometimes it doesn't always come down to what makes the most mathematical sense.

Corbland...depends on what you are buying. Back in March an F450 was 9% with a CS of 775 and 20% down. I paid all cash instead. I did finance my 2024 Kubota SVL 75-3 track loader for 75K at 0% for 48 months. Yeah, that was nice.

CorbLand

WKR
Corbland...depends on what you are buying. Back in March an F450 was 9% with a CS of 775 and 20% down. I paid all cash instead. I did finance my 2024 Kubota SVL 75-3 track loader for 75K at 0% for 48 months. Yeah, that was nice.
Those are all based on buying 1/2 tons...which I believe the majority would be buying.
We are also talking today, not back in March.

I bought a used Tacoma in March and walked out of the bank with a 6.49%.

I get what you are saying but when people are throwing 8-10% interest rates and its pretty easy to find them for well below that...lets compare apples to apples here.

CorbLand

WKR
So long as you can afford it, does anyone ever need to self-reflect on why they "need" anything? If you want a 100K truck and you can afford it, buy it. I can and I did. I'm tired of the Ramsey ways of looking at life. Did you know the majority of retirees that have retirement investments die with most of their money intact because they were afraid to spend it...they were afraid they might need that money next year.....thinking that year after year until they died with it all in the bank. They listen to clowns like Ramsey and that other lady clown that harps save, save and save...don't buy anything, you can't afford it....you need a 5 million dollar nest egg... (while they live in 10 million dollar mansions paid for by viewers). I say save what you need to for security and enjoy the rest. Life is fairly short. Either you enjoy that money you worked all your life for...or somebody else will.
Its a scarcity vs abundance mindset.

You need to save money to get an emergency fund and that fund needs to fit your life. The problem is that some cant turn that off once they get there.

I have a sizable emergency fund, it took my wife and I about 4 years to get it. I can go six months without a penny coming in and not changing a thing about my life. Cut out all the extra stuff that we dont need and that becomes an 8 month emergency fund. Once we got to what we needed, I stopped putting money into it and we moved it to retirement because I am young and want to get that going a little quicker. I will be at the point I want to be in about 2 years and that is 2 years faster than we planned. Guess what, once we hit that, my wife is getting a new SUV and I will most likely get a new duck boat.

Last edited:
Huckelfin, once you get into your mid 60's like me and above that you best be thinking about how you want to enjoy what you worked your entire life to attain. That curtain isn't too far off. Most don't make it into their 80's and 90's like everyone assumes, and if they did the only thing they are driving is a wheelchair....if they are lucky.